Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Cave Felem)
    Did nobody else say fractional distillation? The alcohol has a different boiling point to the other compounds so it should be legit right?
    I messed that question up.

However, I agree with your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    I messed that question up.

However, I agree with your answer.
    The boiling point isn't different enough for the alcohol to actually boil off at a different fraction without huge contamination - what they wanted is 'chromatography' I think.

(Original post by Cadherin)
    The boiling point isn't different enough for the alcohol to actually boil off at a different fraction without huge contamination - what they wanted is 'chromatography' I think.
    Damn I put that originally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    They're normally both accepted on mark schemes. The industrial process of fermentation and spirit production relies on distillation of alcohol from water so it's definitely possible!

(Original post by Cave Felem)
    They're normally both accepted on mark schemes. The industrial process of fermentation and spirit production relies on distillation of alcohol from water so it's definitely possible!
    Exactly this.

I originally put chromatography to be on the safe side and then completely changed it.

I was stuck between (fractional) distillation, chromatography and reflux - why did I go mad and put reflux!?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly this.

I originally put chromatography to be on the safe side and then completely changed it.

I was stuck between (fractional) distillation, chromatography and reflux - why did I go mad and put reflux!?
    I said heat the alcohol and distill off the product ? Is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubwayLover1)
    What was the answer? Fractional distillation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe that's for an aldehyde?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly this.

I'm more interested as to why you thought refluc would seperate anything xD

ReputationRep:
    I believe that's for an aldehyde?
    but you had a ketone and an ionic salt - so you can still distill off a ketone because of different boiling points

(Original post by SirRaza97)
    I'm more interested as to why you thought refluc would seperate anything xD
    I was hoping it'd separate the alcohol! :L

I've never been good at these practical technique apparatus thingies!

but you had a ketone and an ionic salt - so you can still distill off a ketone because of different boiling points
    I can't remember it now! You might be right.

I thought you had a sodium ethanoate and alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueberry389)
    does anyone have the paper?
    You gotta be kidding me

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember it now! You might be right.

I thought you had a sodium ethanoate and alcohol?
    yeye Sodium ethanoate has ionic bonding between (O- and Na+) so if you heated it ... surely you would be able to distill off the alcohol ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badaman)
    What was the answer? Fractional distillation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I put chromatography because fractional distillation isn't on the unit 4 spec but...oh wait, half this paper had nothing much to do with our spec anyways -_-

Fractional distillation should be fine.

yeye Sodium ethanoate has ionic bonding between (O- and Na+) so if you heated it ... surely you would be able to distill off the alcohol ?
    I'm going to be honest I don't know.

It was only one mark so I'm trying to not worry about it but if what you said is true then I suppose so!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be honest I don't know.

It was only one mark so I'm trying to not worry about it but if what you said is true then I suppose so!
    Sorry pahah! I need an A* in chem so I am stressing D: !

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly right
    Can it be HCl and not H2SO4

ReputationRep:
    What would 45/100 be lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have an unofficial mark scheme?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.