Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    We need to do really well in STEP III to still have a reasonable chance. :eek3:
    Yeah, Although i think we can easily get an S on a good day so all's not lost yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingRS)
    Yeah, Although i think we can easily get an S on a good day so all's not lost yet
    I'm still in sort of a daze though, I can't seem to get myself to do any work and I just feel so down. Arghhh, this really sapped my confidence.

ReputationRep:
    ToT I only did 5 questions…Spent 20mins on the first part of Question 4 and still didn't manage to get it…
    Overall,
    Did 3 full questions(Q1 Q2 Q7)…
    I forget to do the deduce part in Q3 which is deduce there is only 1 root of fn(x)…But I have stated the number of roots in the cases n is odd and even… how many marks will I lose?
    For Q6, I didn't do the last part which is too prove v(x)=yn(ym(x))someth ing…
    How many marks will I got?
    I feel like I can not meet my offer as it is an S in STEP II…

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in sort of a daze though, I can't seem to get myself to do any work and I just feel so down. Arghhh, this really sapped my confidence.
    Really don't let a bad STEP II get you down - I, and plenty of others, thought the offer had been missed after II (which in my case was nearly the case, I was jammy and was dead on the boundary! :P ) and honestly you've probably done better than you think. Just make III as good as possible: even if you do miss the II grade but have a good III (and I grade since you sat it) you should be given the place. Which college have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Aits)
    Really don't let a bad STEP II get you down - I, and plenty of others, thought the offer had been missed after II (which in my case was nearly the case, I was jammy and was dead on the boundary! :P ) and honestly you've probably done better than you think. Just make III as good as possible: even if you do miss the II grade but have a good III (and I grade since you sat it) you should be given the place. Which college have you applied to?
    Cheers mate, appreciated. Hoping I'll pull a jammy and get dead onto the 1 boundary. :P - I've applied to King's, which means that if I miss my offer in STEP II but do extraordinarily well in III, I'll be pooled somewhere else rather than accepted by King's, given their popularity.

Anywho, thanks for the encouragement.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, appreciated. Hoping I'll pull a jammy and get dead onto the 1 boundary. :P - I've applied to King's, which means that if I miss my offer in STEP II but do extraordinarily well in III, I'll be pooled somewhere else rather than accepted by King's, given their popularity.

Anywho, thanks for the encouragement.
    I know two people (in two different years) who missed their offer but King's still let them in (including one who got a 3 in a paper) so that's even more reason not to get yourself down - just ace III

ReputationRep:
    Also, can the paper be found anywhere? Sorry if someone's already posted this

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is what I got, how many points/what grade should I expect?

2: complete, except I got a solution x=5 instead of x=4 on part (ii) (apparently i'm not good at adding and substracting one digit ints)
    3: complete, except for checking double roots in the even case in the last part)
    6: did parts (i), (ii), and (iii), not (iv)
    7 (that was the question w/ four parts and integrals right?): only part (i)
    9: complete, but in the last part I calculated the path of the bullet relative to the table (so b+c instead of b), so I got the value of b wrong
    12: complete

ReputationRep:
    Also, can the paper be found anywhere? Sorry if someone's already posted this
    I know two people (in two different years) who missed their offer but King's still let them in (including one who got a 3 in a paper) so that's even more reason not to get yourself down - just ace III
    Oh wow! That does sound promising. I can only hope.

As to your other request, Insight314 has the paper, he could upload it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepperzealot)
    ToT I only did 5 questions…Spent 20mins on the first part of Question 4 and still didn't manage to get it…
    Overall,
    Did 3 full questions(Q1 Q2 Q7)…
    I forget to do the deduce part in Q3 which is deduce there is only 1 root of fn(x)…But I have stated the number of roots in the cases n is odd and even… how many marks will I lose?
    For Q6, I didn't do the last part which is too prove v(x)=yn(ym(x))someth ing…
    How many marks will I got?
    I feel like I can not meet my offer as it is an S in STEP II…
    20 + 20 + 20 + 17 + 12 = 89, certainly a 1, highly unlikely it's an S - but Cambridge normally lets in 1, 1 even for people whose offer was S, 1.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't posted here before but can someone please help estimate what I got? I need a 1 for my Cambridge offer.

Q3: Done everything bar justification for number of roots for odd and even cases. (I did mention number of roots for each cases but I think my proof/justification is wrong, so I guess the A1 marks are nullified? Sketch and explanation for f'(a)f'(b)>0 a bit sketchy but passable, since i did them near the end of exam.

Q4: Done everything up to finding tan(theta), but failed to find the values of x.

Q5: The binomial coefficient question. Done (i), (ii). Didn't do (iii).

Q6: The differential equation question. Done only parts (i) and (ii) which I guess worth very little. Stuck on proving the differential equation although I did verify the case for n=1.

Q7: Integration question. Full.

Q12: Full

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kznil)
    Haven't posted here before but can someone please help estimate what I got? I need a 1 for my Cambridge offer.

Q3: Done everything bar justification for number of roots for odd and even cases. (I did mention number of roots for each cases but I think my proof/justification is wrong, so I guess the A1 marks are nullified? Sketch and explanation for f'(a)f'(b)>0 a bit sketchy but passable, since i did them near the end of exam.

Q4: Done everything up to finding tan(theta), but failed to find the values of x.

Q5: The binomial coefficient question. Done (i), (ii). Didn't do (iii).

Q6: The differential equation question. Done only parts (i) and (ii) which I guess worth very little. Stuck on proving the differential equation although I did verify the case for n=1.

Q7: Integration. Full but I forgot to add constant for all integrals in (i),(ii),(iii),(iv). Really careless.

Q12: Full
    I dont think youll lose marks for adding constants, they were definite integrals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kznil)
    Q7: Integration. Full but I forgot to add constant for all integrals in (i),(ii),(iii),(iv). Really careless.
    They were definite integrals, why would you need a constant?
    Seems like you've gotten enough marks for a 1 though so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingRS)
    I dont think youll lose marks for adding constants, they were definite integrals
    (Original post by Hauss)
    They were definite integrals, why would you need a constant?
    Seems like you've gotten enough marks for a 1 though so don't worry!
    Lol, facepalmed. I came out of the exam feeling so dazed that I automatically assumed I dropped a mark or two when someone said they added a constant and I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't the factor theorem something among the lines of "If f(x) is a polynomial in x and f(a)=0, it follows that (x-a) divides f(x)" (or the other way around)? In any case, I missed seeing the point of Q2. I managed to get 2 fulls - Q3 and Q7 (part (iv) I substituted x = pi/4-t and then t = pi/2-theta and actually got to something plausible lol), two partials - Q4 and Q6, only the first part of Q5 and the three probabilities in Q12. BTW, are those 1/n, 1/(n(n-1)) and 1/(n(n-1)(n-2)) respectively?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by to4ka)
    Wasn't the factor theorem something among the lines of "If f(x) is a polynomial in x and f(a)=0, it follows that (x-a) divides f(x)" (or the other way around)? In any case, I missed seeing the point of Q2. I managed to get 2 fulls - Q3 and Q7 (part (iv) I substituted x = pi/4-t and then t = pi/2-theta and actually got to something plausible lol), two partials - Q4 and Q6, only the first part of Q5 and the three probabilities in Q12. BTW, are those 1/n, 1/(n(n-1)) and 1/(n(n-1)(n-2)) respectively?
    Q12 probabilities are correct.
    In Q2 you can see the expression as a polynomial in c, and when c = a+b the polynomial is 0 so (a+b-c) is a factor.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else do (iv) by integrating by parts with x and 1/cosx(cosx+sinx)? Seems like everyone else used other methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hauss)
    Q12 probabilities are correct.
    In Q2 you can see the expression as a polynomial in c, and when c = a+b the polynomial is 0 so (a+b-c) is a factor.
    That's too hard for me to spot - and I feel I'm not the only one, considering almost everyone here didn't attempt that question. *hopes for ez step iii*

ReputationRep:
    Can someone estimate my mark please 😞:

1: Did the sketch and found both intersections but didn't get very far on the first part, found gradients and equations of tangent (one of which I think was correct)

2: Not much, showed a+b+c was a factor then found x=1 on the cubic

3: showed that f'(x) was fn-1 and that a was negative

Differential eqn: verified both equations and proved the result for z, then differentiated v but didn't get very far

Integration: did first three parts correctly then next to nothing of the last part

Other integration: drew a vague sketch with some trapezii, couldn't prove the result. Got the three approximations and showed the error.

Q13: Proved all three results but only had continuity corrections on the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by to4ka)
    That's too hard for me to spot - and I feel I'm not the only one, considering almost everyone here didn't attempt that question. *hopes for ez step iii*
    Yeah, when I couldn't see what to do in the exam I was worried that I was going to miss a really easy question by failing to see something obvious, but it seems that most people found it a hard spot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.