Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it to just leave him on the bench?
    He's best as a half time substitute for inspiration.. and even if he fitness isn't that great, it'll still look great when he comes on as fresh legs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Andrew.)
    Curtis Davies....?
    Heh, yeah. He's prolly just there to make up the numbers.

Davies, Upson and Brown will be cut out when the squad is trimmed to 23 (i presume).

ReputationRep:
    Downing? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Downing? lol
    He's always going to have an extra chance of getting into a squad because he's the only reasonable English left winger that's left footed (seeing as Barry has played in the centre all season). It does make sense to pick one left winger in a squad of 30 who can actually use his left foot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laevis)
    He's always going to have an extra chance of getting into a squad because he's the only reasonable English left winger that's left footed (seeing as Barry has played in the centre all season). It does make sense to pick one left winger in a squad of 30 who can actually use his left foot.
    I dont care if he's left footed, he's crap

ReputationRep:
    My 1st Team:

James
    Richards Ferdinand King Cole
    Bentley Gerrard Hargreaves Cole
    Rooney Owen

2nd:

Carson
    Brown Woodgate Lescott Bridge
    SWP Carrick Barry Young
    Agbonlahor Crouch

Which means the 7 that miss out would be: Johnson, Shorey, Upson, Davis, Jenas, Downing, Heskey. Although Jenas could go in for Carrick etc; I don't think he will be dropped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    I dont care if he's left footed, he's crap
    He's not that bad. Worthy of being in a squad of 30 i suppose. Although i'd say Lennon and Milner were probably better. Dunno, it can get too easy to defend against a right footed player playing on the left. Just keep showing him onto the touchline rather than letting him cut it and he won't be able to do much with his left. Downing is just another option. He won't start.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's disgusting Beckham's 100 cap keeps eluding him. McClaren messed him around and now Capello's doing the same.

ReputationRep:
    Heskey's return to international play is a bit of a surprise, although I gather he's been doing well recently. I remember when he played for Liverpool and he could be a bit crap then.

I really hope Owen can put in a good performance against Switzerland and prove his worth. Everybody consistently maintains that he is one of the best strikers in the world (including me), but tbh he hasn't shown it in a while because of his ability to be more prone to injury than a fox inhabiting a trap-scattered woods. I hope he can ripple the net a bit during the game, or at the very least, the posts. Maybe his Newcaste captaincy will give him a boost, but I don't reckon he's ever been happy there.

I'm glad Upson's been included, he's done a lot of good things recently. I hope Capello can find a way to make Lampard and Gerrard work together, which has so far proved difficult. I know Gerrard has moments of non-performance for England, but out of the two, I would pick Gerrard as he is the catalyst for change in a lot of games and I think he is imperative to the squad. He was my pick for captain over Terry when the armband was reassigned. I think it's about as a useful as a tourniquet on Terry, just seems to make all the blood go to his head and those neck-veins bulge.

As for Beckham, I wouldn't have minded him in the squad, but I do agree with those who have said there comes a time when we have to start focusing on the youth and cultivating the growth of the younger members of the squad and not just using yesterday's headlines to paper the cracks. I don't know whether Capello is justified in his concerns over Beckham's fitness - he has been training hard with Arsenal. However, he does seem to still be spending the majority of his time on planes and having kickabouts in Brazil and wearing t-shirts to pimp out that horrible wife of his. I know he always talks about how football is his main priority, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it. He released a statement prior to Capello's selection asserting that he was fit and ready to play and he hoped to be picked for the squad...and then he got on a plane to go and do something else on the continent furthest from ours and get a new tattoo. He's sending out mixed messages. Gutted for him if he's stranded on 99 caps though. Some people have said he could still do a good job for England, well he can, sometimes, it's just that at other times he can't and his performances are distinctly average. There's no doubting he puts the effort in, but at his age, that's not always a guarantee of success, and he's not exactly showcasing his abilities at the moment in that dodgy American league, for which he hardly ever plays I've noticed. What a waste of money on their part...?

Oh, and I agree that Downing is crap. I get a bit angry whenever I see him in an England strip. Lennon on the other hand, a great player.

ReputationRep:
    What does Green need to do to get picked for England? He's been excellent again this season. How kirkland is in there is anybody's guess. I feel sorry for green, he had another good game against liverpool last night.

The rest of the squad is pretty much what we expected. Jenas has been very good for spurs recently. Villa have been playing well so you expected as least one of their players to be in there.

Personally I'd like to see lescott or king or richards play at CB (i guess though that richards is now 1st choice RB).

I'm disapointed that Ashton hasn't been named, but he has only just come back from injury. We really need to start looking past rooney and owen up front as they just don't work together very well and in another point owen just isn't playing very well.

ReputationRep:
    England squad: David James (Portsmouth), Scott Carson (Aston Villa), Chris Kirkland (Wigan Athletic), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Curtis Davies (Aston Villa), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United) Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Ledley King (Tottenham Hotspur), Nicky Shorey (Reading), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Micah Richards (Manchester City) Matthew Upson (West Ham United), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham Hotspur) Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham Hotspur), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), David Bentley (Blackburn Rovers), Emile Heskey (Wigan Athletic), Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa) Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool) Craig David (Southampton), C.Ronaldo (Manchester United).

:bebored:

ReputationRep:
    No Lamps or Terry :rofl:

Surely it's because they're injured? :p: *comforts chelski fans*

I like it. He's obviously identified the ones that haven't been tried out Glad L. King's there and Heskeeyyyyy! :p:

ReputationRep:
    You wish :p:

ReputationRep:
    England squad: David James (Portsmouth), Scott Carson (Aston Villa), Chris Kirkland (Wigan Athletic), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Curtis Davies (Aston Villa), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United) Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Ledley King (Tottenham Hotspur), Nicky Shorey (Reading), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Micah Richards (Manchester City) Matthew Upson (West Ham United), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham Hotspur) Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham Hotspur), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), David Bentley (Blackburn Rovers), Emile Heskey (Wigan Athletic), Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa) Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool) Craig David (Southampton), C.Ronaldo (Manchester United).

:bebored:
    Woah there, can I get a reeeewind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitomessence)
    I think it's disgusting Beckham's 100 cap keeps eluding him. McClaren messed him around and now Capello's doing the same.

:rolleyes: Don't people listen to Capello's reasoning? In all fairness, he'sbeen out since November and... there's always the next FRIENDLY.

EDIT: I never even noticed you put Ronaldo there haha :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loadmalz)
    :rolleyes: Don't people listen to Capello's reasoning? In all fairness, he'sbeen out since November and... there's always the next FRIENDLY.

EDIT: I never even noticed you put Ronaldo there haha :p:
    It's the name before his you really want

ReputationRep:
    lmao, wtf... bit slow :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    Woah there, can I get a reeeewind?

Would be nice...

Ronaldo playing for England that is, not Craig David..

ReputationRep:
    Dont see how Green isnt there..what more does he have to do

ReputationRep:

Would be nice...

Ronaldo playing for England that is, not Craig David..
    Yeah but he'd get stuck into the other team and all over your <boink!>...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.