ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)

We got these ones ^_^

Biggest pile of **** there is.
    AHAHA i am holding it right NOW lmaooo

ReputationRep:
    im going to kick this paper in the face

ReputationRep:
    If it asks us about pregnancy tests do you think we have to give the full name of HCG (i cant even remember it humam something something) or can we just say HCG binds to monoclonal antibodies which are bound to beads of colour (usually gold or pink)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    yer when the p.d across the plasma membrane reaches -40mv the voltage gated sodium ion channels open
    ye i havent revised the front in some time ive been to worried about excretion photosynthesis and respiration, ill have to go back to that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snake91)
    If it asks us about pregnancy tests do you think we have to give the full name of HCG (i cant even remember it humam something something) or can we just say HCG binds to monoclonal antibodies which are bound to beads of colour (usually gold or pink)?
    human chorionic gonadotrophin secreted during pregnancy comes from placenta and somewhere else cant remember, coupla pages back for some explanations on it

ReputationRep:
    idk but to be on the safe side better remember and about color well it differs brand to brand in the OCR both a negative and a positive color is pink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    ive been scared of exams before but not as scared as that, and anyway what does it matter what other people know as long as you know the material and will get the marks,
    there isnt some sort of quota on the number of A's they can hand out is there :ninja:

There may as well be. Because they mark them, see how everyone's done, then they set the grade boundaires.

I've been sat here reading but I'm coming off here now as well. It's just worrying me even more how much detail everyone is going into and stuff, I'm worse off for sure. No doubt I'll see you all on here either tomorrow morning or post-exam.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, In oxidative photophosphorylation and Light-dependant photophosphorylation, how would you word how electrons are accepted by an Electron transport chain and an electron carrier?

Also, people post your versions of the glycolysis reaction, would I get full marks for stating that:

Glucose is phosphorylated by ATP to form Hexose phosphate, ADP and an inorganic phosphate is formed as a result. Hexose, 6-phosphate is phosphorylated, by ATP to form Hexose 1,6-biphosphate. Hexose 1,6-biphosphate splits into two molecules of Triose phosphate. Triose phosphate (a three carbon compound) is dehydrogenated (losing a pair of electrons) and dephosphorylated (losing a pair of phosphate groups) to form Pyruvate. 2 molecules of reduced NAD is produced as a result. Four ATP molecules is formed (a net gain of two ATP).

ReputationRep:
    You say HCG. You are allowed to abbreviate. That is correct, HCG binds to monoclonal antibodies but you don't say beads of colour. :no:

You say HCG binds to the monoclonal antibodies-gold complexes.

The antibodies are bound to gold atoms, not pink bead or gold beads.

The colour made in the pregnancy test can be any colour normally, depending on the test, but it is best to say pink as the gold atoms accumulate, they form a pink line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conorf199)
    yeah havent seen local currents anywhere :o: but if its about action potentials then thats alright :rolleyes:

Everyone on here will get A's I bet your all worrying for nothing haha you know too much in fact!
    HOPEFULLY itll be alright since its the first time theyre testing it i dont know maybe im just very optimistic
    for a mere one hour exam this is a lot to cover, the next module looks like a lot memorising stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    You say HCG. You are allowed to abbreviate. That is correct, HCG binds to monoclonal antibodies but you don't say beads of colour. :no:

You say HCG binds to the monoclonal antibodies-gold complexes.

The antibodies are bound to gold atoms, not pink bead or gold beads.

The colour made in the pregnancy test can be any colour normally, depending on the test, but it is best to say pink as the gold atoms accumulate, they form a pink line.

right so the HCG binds to the monoclonal antibodies-gold complexes and as the urine travels up and reaches the test strip it binds to unactive antibodies which causes the accumulation of the gold complexes and shows a result. theres also the control strip which shows that the inactive antibodies are working rightio?

ReputationRep:
    HOPEFULLY itll be alright since its the first time theyre testing it i dont know maybe im just very optimistic
    for a mere one hour exam this is a lot to cover, the next module looks like a lot memorising stuff
    yeah and tbf if you struggle im sure everone else would and the grade boundaries will shoot down, you have to remember there are ppl taking this exam that will have done next to nothing in terms of preparation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    Guys, In oxidative photophosphorylation and Light-dependant photophosphorylation, how would you word how electrons are accepted by an Electron transport chain and an electron carrier?

Also, people post your versions of the glycolysis reaction, would I get full marks for stating that:

Glucose is phosphorylated by ATP to form Hexose phosphate, ADP and an inorganic phosphate is formed as a result. Hexose, 6-phosphate is phosphorylated, by ATP to form Hexose 1,6-biphosphate. Hexose 1,6-biphosphate splits into two molecules of Triose phosphate. Triose phosphate (a three carbon compound) is dehydrogenated (losing a pair of electrons) and dephosphorylated (losing a pair of phosphate groups) to form Pyruvate. 2 molecules of reduced NAD is produced as a result. Four ATP molecules is formed (a net gain of two ATP).
    In oxidative phophorylation first electron carries accepts electron so it gets reduced, it then passes it down to the next carrier, this carries becomes reduced and the previous one oxidised this goes on untol 02 accepts an electron.

ReputationRep:
    We have this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Biology-...d_bxgy_b_img_c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)

just say exactly that, the excited electrons are accepted by the protein electron carriers and passed down the chain releasing energy

you havent put anything about NAD being reduced, when TP is being oxidised (dehydrogenated) 2 H's are removed from it and accepted by NAD, reducing it

you need to talk about NAD since its a key coenzyme in the process and is in the spec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conorf199)
    yeah and tbf if you struggle im sure everone else would and the grade boundaries will shoot down, you have to remember there are ppl taking this exam that will have done next to nothing in terms of preparation!
    if theres any exam that you shouldnt not prepare for its this one man

ReputationRep:
    right so the HCG binds to the monoclonal antibodies-gold complexes and as the urine travels up and reaches the test strip it binds to unactive antibodies which causes the accumulation of the gold complexes and shows a result. theres also the control strip which shows that the inactive antibodies are working rightio?
    Don't say unactive, say immobilised antibodies. These antibodies are strictly specific to HCG-monoclonal antibodies-gold complexes.

The control strip is below the test region and also has immobilised antibodies but these are specific only to monoclonal antibodies-gold complexes and this always produces a pink line as the urine seeps up. Not all antibody-gold complexes join with HCG.

ReputationRep:
    just say exactly that, the excited electrons are accepted by the protein electron carriers and passed down the chain releasing energy

you havent put anything about NAD being reduced, when TP is being oxidised (dehydrogenated) 2 H's are removed from it and accepted by NAD, reducing it

you need to talk about NAD since its a key coenzyme in the process and is in the spec
    Sorry, when I put a pair of electrons are lost, I meant a pair of hydrogen ions. I believe I understand it now. Again it is the WORDING, I'm worried about :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ive completely done Respiration!

Read through text book, read all my notes, attempted all past paper questions on it and gone through all online resources I have.

One question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chunkeymonkey62)
    Ive completely done Respiration!

Read through text book, read all my notes, attempted all past paper questions on it and gone through all online resources I have.

One question?
    what is ketoacidosis? and beta oxidation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.