Singapore Kopitiam Watch

bernice3601
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vaudevilles)
Good luck! What're you planning to read?

Do predicted grades really matter a lot, btw? For example, if some course at X Uni requires ABB and your predicted grades <i>are</i> ABB, would they possibly reject you on the sole basis that your predicted grades aren't AAB or AAA or something? You know, wanting a bit more?
Law!

You know, I have no idea, because my predicted grades were kept secret from me! But I didn't do awesomely for prelims so... ok I really don't know. It really depends on the strength of your PS and reference. Like you could be predicted, yet not get in, or not predicted yet you may get in. Etc. But that being said, it'll be safe to be predicted AAA~
bernice3601
Report 9 years ago
Getting that reference is going to be the tough part. :P I'm one of those students who- hmm, doesn't really speak up/contribute a lot in class except when called upon, so I don't know if my tutors will be able to talk extensively about me apart from "oh, good student, good grades" (just an example), etc.

Maybe I should aspire to be the ultimate ass-kisser next year or something.
My teacher asked me to submit a draft of my reference, stating my strong points, achievements, etc. You can intervene in the writing, and well, even so, you still have one year to make a difference! What's most important is that you KNOW you want to read Lit and you can thus express it on your PS.
kerrycsl
Report 9 years ago

Do predicted grades really matter a lot, btw? For example, if some course at X Uni requires ABB and your predicted grades <i>are</i> ABB, would they possibly reject you on the sole basis that your predicted grades aren't AAB or AAA or something? You know, wanting a bit more?
Predicted grades are important, but I think you'll be fine as long as the they meet the standard offer. Work on the Personal Statement and couple that with a decent reference from your tutor and you'll be well set.
booyakasha
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
anyone received replies from their universities yet? i got offers from LSE (Govt. and Econs) and Durham (Politics and Econs), damn happy YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
gi.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by booyakasha)
anyone received replies from their universities yet? i got offers from LSE (Govt. and Econs) and Durham (Politics and Econs), damn happy YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
whoa, thats impressive. congrats are in order!

you are matriculating next year, 2010?
booyakasha
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yup, 2010.
gi.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by booyakasha)
yup, 2010.
ahh i see i see. what other schools are you waiting replies from then? is LSE your first choice?
booyakasha
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
more or less. waiting for a reply from cambridge for PPS though. my other choices were warwick and SOAS.
melsonchun
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yonanz)
sorry to digress. but which school do u think has a good econs course aside from the usual bigwigs aka ucl, lse,oxb,warwick? im thinking of doing econs (initially wanted to read law but decided to stick to sth im sacademically stronger in) but cant get into any one of the 5 as mentioned due to pne very unsightly "B" grade in my A levels....
Hey, you got AAB for the A Levels right?
Have you actually applied and received rejections from all of them, including warwick? From what i see, the standard offer is AAAb, meaning if you have at least one AO subject with a B grade, you might be given some leeway for an offer.
Narev
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I shall just post here annually and ask:

"Anyone interested in / going to do (M)MORSE at Warwick this September?"
Valour
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey peeps. Roughly how much does it cost for a UK education?
Narev
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmm. Possible to survive on 13k GBP a year in Warwick. You do the math, it's 2:42 am here and I'm sleepy
melsonchun
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Narev)
Hmm. Possible to survive on 13k GBP a year in Warwick. You do the math, it's 2:42 am here and I'm sleepy
for living expenses and accom?
bernice3601
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by melsonchun)
for living expenses and accom?
Warwick's website lists tuition at 10900 GBP (for arts/soc sci courses). I guess the 13k only includes living expenses and accom? A rep from U Manchester once said that a rough guide to total expenses out of London is tuition fees x2. Prob ~20k if you scrimp?
Narev
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yep. Course fees, living expenses, and accom. Includes (some) travelling as well.

Hmm. Or did I mean 15k GBP? Cause it *is* possible to actually survive on 40 GBP a week on average, sometimes even going down to 10 GBP a week.

Cause I try not to count groceries in since I have about $150 being deposited in my bank account every month
Valour
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey guys is this accurate? http://www.axalife.com.sg/learningli...20Planning.pdf
bernice3601
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Narev)
yep. Course fees, living expenses, and accom. Includes (some) travelling as well.

Hmm. Or did I mean 15k GBP? Cause it *is* possible to actually survive on 40 GBP a week on average, sometimes even going down to 10 GBP a week.

Cause I try not to count groceries in since I have about $150 being deposited in my bank account every month
Wow, even course fees? I'm impressed! That's less than 100k for a degree alone.
melsonchun
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bernice3601)
Warwick's website lists tuition at 10900 GBP (for arts/soc sci courses). I guess the 13k only includes living expenses and accom? A rep from U Manchester once said that a rough guide to total expenses out of London is tuition fees x2. Prob ~20k if you scrimp?
Correct, but the projected tuition fee Warwick has sent me, together with my offer letter, puts it modestly at 11600 pounds, with possible increase for 2011/2012 year- the year i will be entering. That leaves 2400 pounds for food and accomodation?Likely?

I think Narve meant 15k pounds, more plausible.
gi.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by melsonchun)
Correct, but the projected tuition fee Warwick has sent me, together with my offer letter, puts it modestly at 11600 pounds, with possible increase for 2011/2012 year- the year i will be entering. That leaves 2400 pounds for food and accomodation?Likely?

I think Narve meant 15k pounds, more plausible.
haha melson you got an offer from warwick? congrats man!
bernice3601
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gi.)
haha melson you got an offer from warwick? congrats man!
I'm jealous!!! Haha melson, have you heard from King's? I do, at least, want to get into a London university.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (124)
18.48%
No (406)
60.51%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.01%

Watched Threads