Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ramires just got sent off with chelsea 1-0 down - We could end up getting third guys!

(Original post by TheEssence)
    fantasy football, but imagine a front two of benteke and jovetic next year!! benteke will go on to great things, mark my words, has all the attributes of a top striker.
    A while ago I said we should buy both but people said benteke wasn't good enough and we needed a 'big name' striker :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    CHELSEa losing and a man down! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Wooooot go on Aston!

But seriously, just frickin' sign up Jovetic and Benteke before a big club comes in and we can't compete (aka what happened with Mata, Hazard and probably many more who don't spring to mind)

(Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Ramires just got sent off with chelsea 1-0 down - We could end up getting third guys!

A while ago I said we should buy both but people said benteke wasn't good enough and we needed a 'big name' striker :facepalm2:
    Yeah, people saying we should go for falcao, lewandowski delusional... . villa's scouts got it spot on with him.

I remember people saying that too, im pretty sure if some spanish player scored 20 goals in the la liga they'd e screaming his name. The only problem is we don't know if this season s a fluke, he could perform badly next year, but his play and instinct shows otherwise tbh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, people saying we should go for falcao, lewandowski delusional... . villa's scouts got it spot on with him.

I remember people saying that too, im pretty sure if some spanish player scored 20 goals in the la liga they'd e screaming his name. The only problem is we don't know if this season s a fluke, he could perform badly next year, but his play and instinct shows otherwise tbh
    Lewandowski>Benteke and will cost roughly the same amount. Problem is that Lew will have better offers. Not that I dont rate Benteke,.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Lewandowski>Benteke and will cost roughly the same amount. Problem is that Lew will have better offers. Not that I dont rate Benteke,.

And both >>>>>Giroud.

I would rather we got Benteke, who may be marginally worse value for money than Lew, but still actually had a striker who could possibly bring us trophies.

(Original post by NoMathsPlease)
    And both >>>>>Giroud.

I would rather we got Benteke, who may be marginally worse value for money than Lew, but still actually had a striker who could possibly bring us trophies.
    Why would Benteke be more able to bring us trophies than Lewandowski? :holmes:

The reason I'm sceptical about Benteke is because he's doing well right now for a team that plays a very different system and in a vastly different atmosphere (in terms of how other teams tend to approach them) than us. Though of course, Benteke would be exactly the sort of sticker we'd go for if he wasn't priced so highly (I don't think Wenger would shell out 25 mil for him, and I can see why).

Exactly, so not a realistic target, and f he does come we'd have to promise high wages and more star signings i imagine. No point mentioning him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Why would Benteke be more able to bring us trophies than Lewandowski? :holmes:.
    I think he meant that because we probably wont get lewandowski, he'd rather get benteke than stick with giroud as benteke will win us trophies whereas giroud wont?

ReputationRep:
    This could be a huge result for you guys. Won't make a difference for Spurs as they would need to win one game and better Chelsea in their final game due to their goal difference.

The game against Wigan on Tuesday is going to be huge..

The reason I'm sceptical about Benteke is because he's doing well right now for a team that plays a very different system and in a vastly different atmosphere (in terms of how other teams tend to approach them) than us. Though of course, Benteke would be exactly the sort of sticker we'd go for if he wasn't priced so highly (I don't think Wenger would shell out 25 mil for him, and I can see why).
    to be fair we have kind of adapted our system to giroud, playing in a lot more crosses than before, always looking to play lofted balls for him to head down, Benteke could operate in a similar fashion.

ReputationRep:

No no, I meant they would both bring us more than Giroud

I do agree 25m is quite steep for a player who is relatively unproven yet in the PL. However, I don't see Lew coming to us- Man U seem v interested in him and there is all that about his meeting with Madrid. Therefore, I think he would (Benteke) be worth a risk as there won't be many players of that calibre left. Falcao seems linked with Chelsea and Cavani PSG or City.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, so not a realistic target, and f he does come we'd have to promise high wages and more star signings i imagine. No point mentioning him.
    Wages which we can easily afford btw. 150k wages are not a problem for us at all if needs be.

The issue with Benteke is that the cats out of the bag and Villa will want 25m for him. So we'd be buying a player after an amazing first season with limited upside given the fee and significant downside if he struggles to maintain his form.

I'd happily pay 15m and would pay 25m if he'd had two great seasons but he hasnt . He's not that different to Giroud as well which is far from ideal.

Bottom line is that if we're going to spend 25m, we may as well spend 35m and get top top quality.

ReputationRep:
    Benteke sent off :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Chelsea have won this. Ah well

ReputationRep:
    We never catch a break...

ReputationRep:
    Lampard scores and equals the record. Respect.

A draw wouldnt be bad for us tbh - can we beat wigan 4-0?

ReputationRep:
    Wages which we can easily afford btw. 150k wages are not a problem for us at all if needs be.

The issue with Benteke is that the cats out of the bag and Villa will want 25m for him. So we'd be buying a player after an amazing first season with limited upside given the fee and significant downside if he struggles to maintain his form.

I'd happily pay 15m and would pay 25m if he'd had two great seasons but he hasnt . He's not that different to Giroud as well which is far from ideal.

Bottom line is that if we're going to spend 25m, we may as well spend 35m and get top top quality.
    10mil extra is a lot..

if we offer one player 150k, more will ask, as someone noted, players like koscielny and co will ask whey they aren't paid so well. we're not going to spend 35m on a player, please be realistic. I said something similar about benteke a couple posts back, but thats football, sometimes you have to take chances. The thing with giroud is he had many chances this year, and missed some sitters.

ReputationRep:
    if we offer one player 150k, more will ask, as someone noted, players like koscielny and co will ask whey they aren't paid so well. we're not going to spend 35m on a player, please be realistic. I said something similar about benteke a couple posts back, but thats football, sometimes you have to take chances. The thing with giroud is he had many chances this year, and missed some sitters.
    I think we will break our transfer record this summer but by that much - not really

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.