Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa + Stoke + Swansea + everton = 12 points

If we had beaten all three., we could have been 12 points better and still be in the title race!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I genuinely want to know.

I don't remember when the CL format was changed and I think Wengers first season you came 4th?
    Changed in 1992 to the format we now have. Came 3rd in 1996/97 and then won the league the next season!

ReputationRep:
    I missed the game and saw the highlights and my goodness. Giroud is a frigging joke..

I remember before the game, giroud was asked.. "Is it the perfect time to hit form"

I swear to god if Wenger uses girouds temporary **** form to not splash cash at a better striker I will cry

ReputationRep:
    Fell asleep on my desk at the start of the second half, oops.

ReputationRep:
    Happy St Totterginham's day!

Weren't the tiny tots claiming they'd be in the title race this season after they spent their war chest? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    e
    (Original post by what is this)
    Happy St Totterginham's day!

Weren't the tiny tots claiming they'd be in the title race this season after they spent their war chest? :lol:
    They also claimed that they could have an invincibles season :lol:

Now, what's the deal with Draxler? We were firm favourites to sign him, and reports of him being sighted at the training ground in Jan.

Also, Balotelli- I really can't see where he will go bar from Arsenal this summer. So it's just a matter of being interested in him. Milan look they have had enough. Latest rumours linking him to Spuds and Arsenal- not a hard decision to make really.
    Can't see him staying in Serie A, nor going to Spain, but suppose one of the moneybags French clubs wouldn't mind him (but then again they already have strikers of a better calibre), and anywhere else would be a step down.

Bender- looks likely right? Go back for Gustavo?

And Micah Richards and Dani Alves are available on a Bosman right?

But then again I can Wenger just signing a bunch of AMs
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solemn Rain)
    Aston Villa + Stoke + Swansea + everton = 12 points

If we had beaten all three., we could have been 12 points better and still be in the title race!
    Never understood this argument at all. Every club can say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    If we had won every game this season, we would've won the league

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Exactly! There are matches that you are going to lose!

The ones we shouldn't have lost is Man utd away (and won at home), and maybe the stoke one.

The rest were just the seasons ups and downs!
    The thing that really knocked us out of the title race, was the 3 heavy defeats...in particular the liverpool game...They were our direct opponents, who were able to catch up on us, then go on these awesome runs, when we had lost that momentum.

And why is that...because of the injuries we have had.

Seriously though, I feel we can actually have another shout at the Prem league next season...M.U might strenghthen, but they will take time for their new manager etc (so won't yet be up there)
    Chelsea will undoubtedly strengthen, and Liverpool as well (depending if they keep hold of all their best players (injury+fatigue+transfer wise).

Man city are looking to be in the sh** due to FFP (unless the cu**s can escape punishment somehow)

So if we strengthen properly, get back all our players from injury, sort out medical crisis, and one or two other things, then we should be right in the mix, with our most likely direct opponent being Chelsea! (and still man city)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moey3)
    Man city are looking to be in the sh** due to FFP (unless the cu**s can escape punishment somehow)
    Nothing will happen. Quote me on that.

ReputationRep:
    How many top 4 trophies in a row has it been now?

You currently are on the longest run of top 4 trophies since United have bottled the trophy this season.
    Wouldnt get too cocky...

..Chelsea would be lucky to get one without stolen roubles...

Actually, I wouldnt be cocky at all. I would just be ashamed.

''Chelsea have a proud history'' said no one ever....

What a club, perople have since admired you for your style of play!!!

ReputationRep:
    Imagine choosing to be a Chelsea fan though...assuming you're not local

That vague sense of shame, dirtiness, awfulness. Who would choose that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Imagine choosing to be a Chelsea fan though...assuming you're not local

That vague sense of shame, dirtiness, awfulness. Who would choose that?
    Imagine choosing to be a fan of a team you aren't local to, end of. I can only imagine it would be incredibly difficult to actually identify with the club and local supporters. I know there were Liverpool fans who were routing for Everton to beat us the other week, what sort of bull**** is that?! No proper Scouser would want them to win, the only situation in which I would want a Spurs win was if we were in the unlikely situation of being relegated and them beating the opposition would keep us up, but knowing them, they would rollover! Pretty much why I don't have time London United & Liverpool fans (although the former have been disappearing at an alarming rate and the latter, crawling out of the woodwork! :rolleyes:) I know one United fan who literally lives across the road from the Emirates ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Imagine choosing to be a fan of a team you aren't local to, end of. I can only imagine it would be incredibly difficult to actually identify with the club and local supporters. I know there were Liverpool fans who were routing for Everton to beat us the other week, what sort of bull**** is that?! No proper Scouser would want them to win, the only situation in which I would want a Spurs win was if we were in the unlikely situation of being relegated and them beating the opposition would keep us up, but knowing them, they would rollover! Pretty much why I don't have time London United & Liverpool fans (although the former have been disappearing at an alarming rate and the latter, crawling out of the woodwork! :rolleyes:) I know one United fan who literally lives across the road from the Emirates ffs.

I'm from Holloway and myself and Wenger go to the end, until the bitter death.

Quickest way to fall out with me in real time:''I dont like Wenger''

ReputationRep:
    Changed in 1992 to the format we now have. Came 3rd in 1996/97 and then won the league the next season!
    Im afraid you are wrong there. Newcastle finished 3rd later than 1992 and never got CL football.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got basically all Arsenal games on video/dvd so just comparing our play back to 2000-2006, we have so few wingers arriving late into the box. Ramsey makes these runs but looiking back at Pires/Ljungberg man...

Obviously we have Bergkamp, but the way our wingers would arrive unmarked, late was really special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage)
    Im afraid you are wrong there. Newcastle finished 3rd later than 1992 and never got CL football.
    I meant the format as in having a group stage and so on, was an international knockout competition before 1992. Back then, I think only the league winners automatically qualified and whoever finished 2nd entered a qualifying round.

ReputationRep:
    **** me, Fabregas carried Denilson for years

You watch a few of those games back and you realise how special Cesc was

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely want to know.

I don't remember when the CL format was changed and I think Wengers first season you came 4th?
    What do you mean, changed?

Second spot was given CL status in at the end of 96-97 (Newcastle took it that season), Third began at the end of 1998-1999 (Chelsea) and fourth in 2001-2002 (Newcastle).

You did come third on goal difference, yes, but didn't qualify for the CL if that's what you're saying. 1997 was the first year that second place got a CL spot. Previously only the Champions got a place. So Manchester United and Newcastle qualified for the CL that season, Arsenal and Liverpool (third and fourth) got UEFA Cup.

You didn't qualify for the CL until you won the title in 1998. So 1998 - 1999 was your first season of Champions League football. Three years after Blackburn, two after Newcastle (five after Manchester United, six after Leeds).

Obviously, my CL I mean the modern format of the European Cup.

QUOTE=Vintage;47359866]Im afraid you are wrong there. Newcastle finished 3rd later than 1992 and never got CL football.[/QUOTE]

Third in 1994 and Second in 1996 and no CL football (for Newcastle were the first to qualify as league runner up, and did so in 1997).

ReputationRep:
    I meant the format as in having a group stage and so on, was an international knockout competition before 1992. Back then, I think only the league winners automatically qualified and whoever finished 2nd entered a qualifying round.
    No, second place was only given a qualification spot in 1996-1997 onwards.

Hence why "we" had such an epic moment in the UEFA Cup as below in 1995 - 1996 (otherwise we'd have been in the Champions League).

Still lost on away goals, but :love:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.