Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is AlphaMolecule on my new account - I'm applying to Oxford, Merton for physics.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else applying for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSJKSP)
    anyone else applying for medicine?
    Check and enter your details on the stalking page, see the original post

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing choral/organ scholarships?
    Deadline in one week is making me nervous..! It's my first serious commitment to an application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imsomeone)
    Im hoping to apply for physicsMy IGCSEs: 5A* 3A 1B (Add math too much noise) 1C (I really was expecting an A* just had a bad day)Do you still think I Stand a chance? I know its not only based on that but...I´m afraid I wouldn´t be a very competitve applicant with those grades
    I got 5 A*s, 3 As, and 2 Bs, so quite similar (although not IGCSEs), and I'm applying for physics. I'm certainly not worried about my GCSEs being slightly below average; plenty of people who have been accepted in the past have had similar or worse grades. I'm concentrating on the PAT – a good score in that, together with my AAAAB at AS-level should give me a good chance. On the other hand, I haven't done any further maths yet; if you're just starting A-levels, make sure you don't forget it

(Original post by CASĒ)
    Hi, this is AlphaMolecule on my new account - I'm applying to Oxford, Merton for physics.
    I've done all the PAT past papers (I'll go over them in a few weeks). What's the next step in preparing for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    I got 5 A*s, 3 As, and 2 Bs, so quite similar (although not IGCSEs), and I'm applying for physics. I'm certainly not worried about my GCSEs being slightly below average; plenty of people who have been accepted in the past have had similar or worse grades. I'm concentrating on the PAT – a good score in that, together with my AAAAB at AS-level should give me a good chance. On the other hand, I haven't done any further maths yet; if you're just starting A-levels, make sure you don't forget it

I've done all the PAT past papers (I'll go over them in a few weeks). What's the next step in preparing for it?
    Maybe try some physics AS challenge papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CASĒ)
    Maybe try some physics AS challenge papers?
    I've just started them. Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LamantChenille)
    Anyone else doing choral/organ scholarships?
    Deadline in one week is making me nervous..! It's my first serious commitment to an application.
    I'm not but I'm (college) married to one of the Director's of Chapel Music :love: Good luck - wishing you all the best

ReputationRep:
    Does Oxford look at UMS and/or module marks? I've heard they're not a factor, but I wonder whether they actually see it.

ReputationRep:
    when should i have started to prepare for the physics aptitude test? is it too late to start? i'm so worried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clovpot)
    Does Oxford look at UMS and/or module marks? I've heard they're not a factor, but I wonder whether they actually see it.
    They don't ask for it, but if you feel your UMS in some subjects is particularly high, you could get it mentioned in your reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    when should i have started to prepare for the physics aptitude test? is it too late to start? i'm so worried
    It isn't too late, but I would recommend starting as soon as you can. Nothing too strenuous, but a gentle introduction to get a feel for the types of questions asked is good. Try the specimen paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    It isn't too late, but I would recommend starting as soon as you can. Nothing too strenuous, but a gentle introduction to get a feel for the types of questions asked is good. Try the specimen paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the thing is, i didn't want to start anything before results day just in case my results would make it impossible for me to apply to oxford in the first place and luckily they came out great but now i'm stressing about this!! i'll start tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels: Doesn't really work, I'm french, I got away with a 18,6/20 at the french baccalaureate thought.
    Course: History
    College: Christ Church?
    Has anybody started the HAT preparation yet?

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone getting on with their personal statements? I haven't made much progress to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dare I say it... after working on it continuously, drafting and redrafting and editing and tweaking... I THINK mine is finished! In fact, my whole application is now complete and simply awaiting the opening of submissions so that I can send it in. No doubt I'll end up revisiting it a few times between now and then, but essentially, I'm done! RELIEF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    Dare I say it... after working on it continuously, drafting and redrafting and editing and tweaking... I THINK mine is finished! In fact, my whole application is now complete and simply awaiting the opening of submissions so that I can send it in. No doubt I'll end up revisiting it a few times between now and then, but essentially, I'm done! RELIEF.
    Well I wish I could say the same aha. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    How is everyone getting on with their personal statements? I haven't made much progress to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not oxford material yet, but it's a work in progress. Honestly, I'm even enjoying writing it (if that makes any sense )

Which course are you going to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    Well I wish I could say the same aha. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't fret! The sooner you start, the sooner you finish! You'll be there soon enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)
    Not oxford material yet, but it's a work in progress. Honestly, I'm even enjoying writing it (if that makes any sense )

Which course are you going to apply to?
    I don't like talking about myself, I just struggle to think of what to say so I'm still working on the 1st paragraph unfortunately. I'm hoping to make significant progress tomorrow, maybe.
    I'm applying to read Chemistry, what about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.