Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyNoGod)
    You have 30 minutes in a seperate room to read the scenario documents and prepare (you're allowed to take these and any notes you make in with you), 10 minutes to present (which you must time yourself), and 20 minutes of questions and answers. After the exercise you have around 10 minutes to fill in your exercise self evaluation form.

Hope that helps.
    Hi! Just wondering do you talk about your own formulated plan for the entire 10 minutes or do you summarise the information given to you in a bit of detail...introduction etc and then explain your plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onouse)
    Great! can you please give some examples of the kind of questions you are asked in the competency based inteview?
    I can't think of anything too specific, but in general in these competency interviews you are asked questions like "Tell me about a time when you experienced such-and-such" or "Tell me about a time when you had to do such-and-such." So the best advice is to prepare at least a couple examples for each competency and they use the STAR technique to describe them in interview. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situati...Action,_Result
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Unsuccessful for diplomatic and still waiting for central department . I guess this just indicates I did neither particularly well nor particularly badly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    Unsuccessful for diplomatic and still waiting for central department . I guess this just indicates I did neither particularly well nor particularly badly?
    Yeah, I got this too today... not sure how much optimism to have now? It's tempting to feel like, oh, must've scored pretty badly then.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalvioHexia)
    Yeah, I got this too today... not sure how much optimism to have now? It's tempting to feel like, oh, must've scored pretty badly then.
    The optimist in me says that the standard for the diplomatic service is so high that it might not be that big a deal and that central departments is still very much a possibility (I actually decided I'd rather CD anyway before the FSAC). I just hope this doesn't mean we're waiting until April...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    The optimist in me says that the standard for the diplomatic service is so high that it might not be that big a deal and that central departments is still very much a possibility (I actually decided I'd rather CD anyway before the FSAC). I just hope this doesn't mean we're waiting until April...
    Me too! I don't know why I even put it down in the first place, as I always thought it wasn't quite me. I guess it does just mean we didn't score amazingly highly. I just hate the waiting now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalvioHexia)
    Me too! I don't know why I even put it down in the first place, as I always thought it wasn't quite me. I guess it does just mean we didn't score amazingly highly. I just hate the waiting now...
    The scores required are very high and the numbers accepted pretty low. I wouldn't feel too bad, if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    Hello ! I have my fsac mid next month and just spending my time until then getting ready / studying hard for it. Got my eyes set on diplomatic service.

I have a question, can anyone shed some light on the e-tray (written part) exercise which comes up during the interview? Do you actually talk about the answer you gave during the interview or is it just assessed without discussing?

Obviously without giving an unfair disadvantage to others in your answer

Thanks !!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't come up at all. It just forms part of your final FSAC score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GManTheGMan)
    It doesn't come up at all. It just forms part of your final FSAC score.
    Thank you!! I cant remember the answer I gave months ago so was worrying a little!!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I had my fsac on Wednesday 14th and my status has changed to awaiting results. Anyone been successful for the HR stream yet? And have the feedback scores been given yet? Ta x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briers89xx)
    Hi all! I had my fsac on Wednesday 14th and my status has changed to awaiting results. Anyone been successful for the HR stream yet? And have the feedback scores been given yet? Ta x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah this is frustrating - mine was on Tuesday 13th and my status is still 'Awaiting Event' - that must be some sort of error then? or has anyone else experienced this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    Ah this is frustrating - mine was on Tuesday 13th and my status is still 'Awaiting Event' - that must be some sort of error then? or has anyone else experienced this?
    Mine said awaiting event for 8 days after I had attended FSAC, when it changed to awaiting results (I then got my results 6 days later)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have their FSAC on 5th March?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frerejacques)
    Mine said awaiting event for 8 days after I had attended FSAC, when it changed to awaiting results (I then got my results 6 days later)
    Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they've set the initial EFS and EFS-DS marks yet or might that be a separate process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briers89xx)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck for your results! I'm also applying for the HR stream but my FSAC is on Monday. I'm getting quite nervous! How did you find the day?

ReputationRep:
    Evening all!

I have my FSAC on Monday and am getting a bit nervous... Does anybody have any helpful advice on how I can prepare? I've read through the competencies carefully and prepared some examples but I'd be really grateful for any insights on how to prepare for the leadership exercise and policy recommendation. As far as I can tell, candidates can't really prepare for the group exercise.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to structure your answer for the policy recommendation exercise?

Thanks so much for any advice. It seems like it will be a really long day so I'm planning to take plenty of snacks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GManTheGMan)
    I can't think of anything too specific, but in general in these competency interviews you are asked questions like "Tell me about a time when you experienced such-and-such" or "Tell me about a time when you had to do such-and-such." So the best advice is to prepare at least a couple examples for each competency and they use the STAR technique to describe them in interview. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situati...Action,_Result
    Great! Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    The day itself is long and intense so I would concentrate on relaxing as much as you can in the situation! Good luck! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.