pooled for reinterview by Robinsons
aersh8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a380fly)
pooled for reinterview by Robinsons
Awesome, congratulations and good luck! I assume you found out quite a bit earlier today? For which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
kwes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-Oxbridge.html

any thoughts? It is probably me!
jr2015
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah! Phy Nat sci
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by whatacrydonnie)
The Hoosiers are great!
Cops and Robbers is my jam though
Adore that one as well! Their second album is amazing too - so underrated and almost every song is good.
jr2015
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ianna.andreea)
Freak out, freak out, freak out. No other tips. The last days are the worst.
Apply to US instead😉 I got in!
ClickItBack
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aersh8)
You'll never walk alone but the lyrics changed to you'll never be at John's tbf I'll probably listen to it anyway but just interpret it differently

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you know that was the John's song before you've even got an offer?!

. . . truly, you are destined.
kwes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
any thoughts?

It is probably me!

taken from Telegraph...

There comes a time in every tutor's life when a difficult decision must be made. For instance, if a parent tries to seduce you, should you accept? The benefits might be immeasurable.

Well, that is a dilemma – and one I'll explain how definitely not to handle in next week's blog. But it's not the one that I'm thinking of today, which is arguably even more fraught.

Let's say that Jenny is a 17-year-old student of yours. She wants to apply to Oxbridge. Her parents (both Oxbridge alumni) want her to apply.

Yet she is not Oxbridge material. She is as ploddy as a fat policeman walking up a hill. She wouldn't go the extra mile unless you put her in a wheelbarrow and pushed her yourself.

You teach her, as well as you are able. It is not always possible to give somebody an extra bit of spark for their interview, but you can throw more reading and so on in their way. You can sharpen up their argumentative skills.

If they are Oxbridge material, they will leap on what you give them, and come back with more questions than you are able to answer: ("What is existentialism?"); if they are not, they will say, "But I won't have to do this in the exam," and look sulky. (That, incidentally, is one of my tests: if somebody really loves their subject they will gulp down everything they can about it.)

Jenny is one of those people who, when you ask her a question that isn't on her A-level syllabus, will say, "But do I have to know that?" or similar. She will go to her interview, and you will think, "If she gets in, then there is no hope for anybody in this world."
And – she doesn't get in. Order is restored, faith in the admissions system is renewed. You prepare to console the parent; suggest that there are plenty of other good universities, and that if you are the sort of person who thinks writing an essay is hard work, than Oxbridge probably isn't for you (although you'll keep that last bit to yourself.)
As you are preparing said speech, Jenny will say, "well, at least I can reapply next year." Your heart sinks. Has she learnt nothing from you?
Hence the dilemma: do you carry on tutoring Jenny, knowing that she hasn't got the brains? Or do you tell the parents and Jenny that she shouldn't bother, and risk them getting angry, as well as losing the money?
You see it in schools, too: a recent report suggested that parents were asking head teachers if their children would get into Oxford. That's five-year-old children. Parents are applying their sprogs for schools even when they have been advised not to. Is there a limit? Should we give people more than one chance?
If Jenny were to be prepped up to the eyeballs and got in, then it's not fair on other people; nor is it fair on Jenny, who will only flounder when left to her own devices. It's a tough, tough question, and not one that I've yet found a satisfactory answer to.
Perhaps being seduced by a parent is a better option – at least nobody's future's riding on that.
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jchap9776)
That's a shout actually. Are you gonna wait for the postman to put it through the letterbox or go out to meet him? Such a pressing dilemma for me haha
mate im gna be waiting at the royal mail warehouse as its near my house and my neighbour works there lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hyperthy)
A bit of a weird situation ... And was that a typo ... I am actually a Sikh lol (well sort off)
I am. lol what is (well sort of) ? im curious haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1 (and a half) sleeps to go!
hippoposthumous
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm seeing Paddington at 11:30 on Saturday (when the post normally arrives) which will be probably hard to enjoy properly, knowing the decision is waiting for me at home.
Viceroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good luck!!
BristolStudent96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
God I don't think I have ever been so stressed in my life; I am even more stressed now than I was prior to the interview!

This is a particularly big deal to me as I decided to take a Gap Year just to take a shot at it. If I get rejected I won't even have the consolation of trying again next year.

Anyway good luck to everyone else
SerLorasTyrell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Really hope my letter comes on Saturday if i doesn't I'll be annoyed, if I get a rejection I guess I'll just have to blame myself for getting lost and turning up to the TSA ten minutes late

Posted from TSR Mobile
crazycanuck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just a PSA for international applicants at Downing. If you listed a non-UK mailing address on your application, Downing will also be emailing the decision on Saturday. Got this from their Twitter feed.
Daphinator
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Gahhh had my first Cambridge dream. I opened my letter and it told me I was rejected for "no good reason" lol it's kind of funny and depressing at the same time.
nnatcha
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by marsbms)
Has someone written to St John's to request an email ?
I know it's written to wait four working days, but that's insane.
Where I live, it'll take at least two weeks for the actual letter to arrive. So I'm definitely emailing them, but I don't know if I should do that now, or wait until next week. This is so agonising.
Are you an international candidate too?
aersh8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ClickItBack)
How did you know that was the John's song before you've even got an offer?!

. . . truly, you are destined.
JCR website :mmm:
Hopefully...
Posted from TSR Mobile
zchung1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anybody got any news from magdalene so far?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (879)
79.91%
Leave (221)
20.09%

Watched Threads