Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    Interviewers said that you could, but the earlier the better bc of admin. I'd say anytime before results should be fine but yeah best off asking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's interesting. I'd have thought it would deprive the next ranked person a place? I.e. if someone declared they were deferring when they first applied then Cambridge would be in a position to offer that place to someone else this year? But if they do it after offers have been issued the places would have already been allocated...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    there is lol. Serious

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's like 15 metres long and currently I believe it's out of action. Hardly equivalent to something like this: http://cardinalrec.stanford.edu/aqua...quatic-center/.

The proposed university pool isn't going to be built unless someone donates to fund it explicitly which is highly unlikely even though the university can easily afford to pay for the facilities out of its own reserves..

ReputationRep:
    A question I think about is, If I applied to a different college would I have got an offer? Don't know about you guys but I think I wouldn't have because I probably wouldnt have been interviewed. Places like trinity would have rejected me straight up.
    Is the general feeling supposed to be if you van get into one college you can get into the rest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel exactly the same, I definitely wouldn't have got an interview if I'd applied to a college which didn't interview as high a portion of applicants as Catz does!

ReputationRep:
    I am just curious no intention of going trinity even if i had the chance. I like Fitz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really like Trinity, do you think there is less chance to get an offer from it than others? Why?
    Would you please explain why. I am really interested to know the reasons as I am planning to apply there :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)
    I really like Trinity, do you think there is less chance to get an offer from it than others? Why?
    Would you please explain why. I am really interested to know the reasons as I am planning to apply there :confused:
    Very very Strong applicants pool i think. But then the average of offer hilders spreads out and nuetrals out so if you do apply there and the competition pushes you out the pool is there to save you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As physicsmaths said basically. Trinity is one of the oldest, prettiest, richest and most prestigious colleges, maybe even the best depending on who you ask. Therefore I think it's safe to say it will generally attract a larger number (relative to its size) of applicants, with strong applications. Which means that if you apply there, your chances of getting into Trinity are lower, but your chances of getting into Cambridge should stay the same no matter where you apply assuming the pool does its job.

IMO, you can't improve your chances of getting into Cambridge by playing the statistics, but you can improve your chances of getting into the college of your choice by doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    That's interesting. I'd have thought it would deprive the next ranked person a place? I.e. if someone declared they were deferring when they first applied then Cambridge would be in a position to offer that place to someone else this year? But if they do it after offers have been issued the places would have already been allocated...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All colleges will have some students who fail to meet their offers and they can always accept one extra such person if they need to. At worst they can go to the summer pool. If everything during the selection process is perfect, then these people should be the 'next best', as it were.

ReputationRep:
    Very very Strong applicants pool i think. But then the average of offer hilders spreads out and nuetrals out so if you do apply there and the competition pushes you out the pool is there to save you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am having doubts about how the pool works and if it does....

ReputationRep:
    I really like Trinity, do you think there is less chance to get an offer from it than others? Why?Would you please explain why. I am really interested to know the reasons as I am planning to apply there :confused:
    Not necessarily. At the Easter school I met some people from Trinity and they weren't any better than anybody else; one even said to me 'it's not even harder to get in, everyone just thinks it is'. (Opinion, not fact.) Obviously for something like maths you will get the crazily clever foreign IMO mathematicians applying there (probably) but it doesn't mean that it is SO much harder for everyone else.

If you're good enough for Cambridge you'll probably just get pooled if they can't offer you a place.

Apply for where you want to go and don't try and play statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomStaff)
    Not necessarily. At the Easter school I met some people from Trinity and they weren't any better than anybody else; one even said to me 'it's not even harder to get in, everyone just thinks it is'. (Opinion, not fact.) Obviously for something like maths you will get the crazily clever foreign IMO mathematicians applying there (probably) but it doesn't mean that it is SO much harder for everyone else.

If you're good enough for Cambridge you'll probably just get pooled if they can't offer you a place.

Yh I agree with you, but I've done STEP with some of these Trinity guys and they like 3 step questions within an hour (III). Even the pooled ones were really good. Btw you saying they werent good as anyone else is because you are just as good! How was the easter school btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would go as far as saying getting in is easier then making the offer(for maths) for other subjects it is much harder to get the offer then nearky all make the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well as they offer more places than they have, I imagine their place would be taken from someone in the summer pool and they would be the next ranked person, rather than the ones who didn't get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomStaff)

Yh I agree with you, but I've done STEP with some of these Trinity guys and they like 3 step questions within an hour (III). Even the pooled ones were really good. Btw you saying they werent good as anyone else is because you are just as good! How was the easter school btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do think Trinity mathmos are, on average, better than the average Cam mathmo, but - at least in my year - there was still a reasonable tail of them who didn't do particularly well in Tripos.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question: how much thanking do you have to do in the beginning and end of a formal letter asking for something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by lyranew)
    All colleges will have some students who fail to meet their offers and they can always accept one extra such person if they need to. At worst they can go to the summer pool. If everything during the selection process is perfect, then these people should be the 'next best', as it were.
    Ok - I suppose not many miss offer (except Maths), but I guess not many ask for a late deferment either.

ReputationRep:
    P
    (Original post by HeavisideDelts)
    Probably if you ask them before results day. going to depend entirely on the people who gave you an offer though, so best off querying it with them
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    Interviewers said that you could, but the earlier the better bc of admin. I'd say anytime before results should be fine but yeah best off asking Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks!

I'm just having a bit of a crisis at the moment because I have an offer for veterinary medicine but now I'm really questioning if that's actually what I want to do. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysalex)
    P

thanks!

I'm just having a bit of a crisis at the moment because I have an offer for veterinary medicine but now I'm really questioning if that's actually what I want to do. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.

Any advice would be appreciated!

It is definitely possible to change your tripos course, both before and after the first year. On one visit to Cambridge, for example, I met a student who had changed from vet med to just med after a year (she was at Trinity Hall). This normally involves another interview with members of the department you'll be switching to or may be conditional on you doing very well in your end of year examinations. Different colleges and courses, however, will have different rules and regulations.

Given that veterinary medicine is one of the more difficult courses to get into, I imagine you should be able to switch to another subject such as Nat Sci without too much difficulty. But, as others have said, you should get in contact with your college before getting there and see what they say.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I met our DoS recently who actually said he's given out too many offers (something about one of the important labs only fitting 20 people, and him giving out 23 offers) so I imagine a few deferred entries and he'd breathe a sigh of relief.

On that note actually, my college (for engineering at least) strongly favours deferred entries, to the point that at least 3 people I know starting with me in October who have also deferred actually had their interviews in 2013 and we're specifically asked to defer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyranew)
    It is definitely possible to change your tripos course, both before and after the first year. On one visit to Cambridge, for example, I met a student who had changed from vet med to just med after a year (she was at Trinity Hall). This normally involves another interview with members of the department you'll be switching to or may be conditional on you doing very well in your end of year examinations. Different colleges and courses, however, will have different rules and regulations.

Given that veterinary medicine is one of the more difficult courses to get into, I imagine you should be able to switch to another subject such as Nat Sci without too much difficulty. But, as others have said, you should get in contact with your college before getting there and see what they say.
    Thanks so much for this info. Do you know if she had to repeat the first year? I have been thinking about medicine but I have a feeling that a few years ago they stopped all transfers into medicine. I would probably transfer into bio natsci.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysalex)
    Thanks so much for this info. Do you know if she had to repeat the first year? I have been thinking about medicine but I have a feeling that a few years ago they stopped all transfers into medicine. I would probably transfer into bio natsci.
    I think you're right about they stopped all the transfers to medicine some years ago. This is what someone's just told me, so I'll stand to be corrected but if I remember correctly, you need to complete your current course before you're considered by your college & department the possibility of transferring to medicine.
    Transferring to bio-natsci shouldn't be so difficult, I'd think. Actually one of my daughter's friends just did that after the second year. Can't remember if he just had to do one year to get a degree or two years, though I'm afraid. Some natsci do three years and others stay on for four years to finish their course, anyway, it's so complicated if changing the tripos is involved in the mix!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.