Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gh1290)
    In oxidative phosphorylation, i believe that FADH2 has the same fate as NADPH, where they both get oxidised and release their hydrogens for chemiosmosis.
    FAD protons don't go into the intermembrane space, they stay in the membrane and go straight to O2 and electrons to form H2O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcd123456)
    Would we ever get asked to describe the arrangement of cells in the liver?
    you have to know where everything is on a diagram (bile duct branch, hepatic vein branch etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faithams)
    FAD protons don't go into the intermembrane space, they stay in the membrane and go straight to O2 and electrons to form H2O
    Why is this? My book says that both FAD and NAD get oxidised so their hydrogen atoms are used for the electron transfer chain and chemiosmosis

ReputationRep:
    What's the Accelerator Nerve???? And what does it do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t_sparrow)
    In anaerobic respiration of yeast, what enzyme is used to break Pyruvate into Ethanal? Carbon dioxide is released in this reaction, and I have seen two different enzymes mentioned by two different sources; Ethanal Dehydrogenase in my textbook and Pyruvate Decarboxylase on an online resource??

Thanks if you can help!!
    Your copy of the textbook is wrong, there are 2 issue's of the textbook, and the first issue had the error of writing the wrong enzyme, the newer issue states pyruvate decarboxylase instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich*****)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its a nerve connecting the medulla oblongata to the sinoatrial node, it can send and action potential down to the heart causing an increase in the frequency of heart beats. This happens in various situations, e.g. when chemoreceptors detect a low pH in the blood

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know what the liver looks like under a microscope? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brooklyniona)
    you have to know where everything is on a diagram (bile duct branch, hepatic vein branch etc)
    Ok thanks but would it ever come up as like a 5 marker asking us to describe without a diagram or no? Please say no :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WishIHadRevised)
    Do we need to know what the liver looks like under a microscope? :/
    Liver lobule came up last year, so it probaly won't come up again

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling the heart stuff might come up...haven't seen it in a while. Definitely worth a look over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich*****)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the nerve from the cardiovascular center to the SAN. Part of the sympathetic nervous system. Speeds up heart rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WishIHadRevised)
    Predictions for tomorrow? Anyone?
    teacher was pretty convinced the distal convuluted tubule will come up and seemed pretty sure about that this year. Other than that its all guesswork

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know about ganglion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    Why is this? My book says that both FAD and NAD get oxidised so their hydrogen atoms are used for the electron transfer chain and chemiosmosis
    Thats weird, mine says NADH2 binds to complex 1 and its protons are pumped through complex 1 to the intermembrane space and that FADH2 binds to complex 2 but its protons stay in the matrix. It says protons are therefore only pumped through the complexes 1,3 and 4.
    Which book do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalman)
    teacher was pretty convinced the distal convuluted tubule will come up and seemed pretty sure about that this year. Other than that its all guesswork
    What sort of question could they ask you about the DCT? the only thing i know about it is that it reabsorbs inorganic ions. Is that even correct? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faithams)
    Thats weird, mine says NADH2 binds to complex 1 and its protons are pumped through complex 1 to the intermembrane space and that FADH2 binds to complex 2 but its protons stay in the matrix. It says protons are therefore only pumped through the complexes 1,3 and 4.<br />
    Which book do you have?
    CGP. And I quote:

"hydrogen atoms are released from NADH and FADH as they're oxidised to NAD and FAD. Thenhydrogen atoms split into protons and electrons etc."

ReputationRep:
    Guys how are you all preparing for the synoptic element of the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Correctly predicted most of last years f211
    For me:
    - kidney including selective absorption and renal dialysis
    - LIR
    - Krebs Cycle
    - Ads and Dis of ectotherms
    - cyclic AMP suggest typey qs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalman)
    Correctly predicted most of last years f211
    For me:
    - kidney including selective absorption and renal dialysis
    - LIR
    - Krebs Cycle
    - Ads and Dis of ectotherms
    - cyclic AMP suggest typey qs
    Whats LIR, sorry lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah what is the purpose of the distal convoluted tubule?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.