Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Guys, don't get so hung up on the BoGS stage. I know it is easy to say after the event, but the only ways it goes wrong at BoGS are if you've sent them forged documents, or your national academic standards are so far below the entry standards and no-one has noticed yet. Very occasionally a department makes an offer to someone how has academic qualifications below a university agreed minimum, and then it takes a while for them to justify why to BoGS, but really, getting rejected at the BoGS stage is vanishingly rare.

The difference in wording is almost certainly the difference between the departmental secretary updating your file - which has one phrase, and the faculty secretary using the other phrase.

What is going on at BoGS at the moment is that the tidal wave of decisions is beginning to rise up out of the departments and the files are arriving back on the desks of a small handful of admissions staff in BoGS who are wading through them just as fast as they can. There are no BoGS meetings, just staff trying to cope with the inundation of decisions the academics are beginning to make. BoGS responses will probably slow down markedly over the next few weeks as they plough through them all just as fast as they can.

I'm no BoGS apologist, or in their pay - but I have seen how and where they work, and like the whole Cambridge admissions process, it is in fact very tailored and individual, and very manual.
    Thank you for this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pe94)
    Yes, mine just says "upper second class".
    MPhil in Technology Policy.
    I had a look at the course on the website and they are actually asking for a First, so lucky you for getting that offer. You must be an angel 😇

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgwhat)
    You're right! One never knows, might turn out to be brilliant.

At the end of the day it's just a small part of my life and it's not a big deal, I just find it hilarious that I made jokes about getting my least favourite college but laughing it off because hey what are the odds?! My friend, the odds are.. 1 out of 31 and that is all it takes.
    Same here, I got Murray today and I am not sure how to feel. I know I will come to like it in the end but for now I don't feel excited. I wanted an old building, I am quite averse to new architecture and it feels a little ironic fo be allocated there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LingHin)
    Same here, I got Murray today and I am not sure how to feel. I know I will come to like it in the end but for now I don't feel excited. I wanted an old building, I am quite averse to new architecture and it feels a little ironic fo be allocated there.
    Congratulations!

Look at it from the bright side; at least you will experience how it is to live on a nuclear power plant 😂

ReputationRep:
    :'( I know how you feel. It'll be alright, we can cry about it together hahah
    You guys will do just fine, do not worry too much now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.anne)
    Hi! Have you heard back yet? I've been at BoGS since Friday and the nerves are starting to kick in.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey! I ended up e-mailing graduate admissions and (luckily) they e-mailed back saying that it takes up to 5 working days to go through BoGS these days due to the fact that most of the offers are made now. The status changed on my self service account changed yesterday to 'Conditional Offer Made' and I got the official e-mail today.

So calm your nerves, you are getting an offer by Thursday/Friday for sure ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biologynerd95)
    I am also infuriatingly awaiting approval by BoGS which I have been on since last Wednesday! But I already have an offer for funding! I am really confused! Would there be any reason I was rejected at this stage?
    No ^^ Congrats on the funding offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander I)
    Has any of the offer holders here received the condition of obtaining a mere 2.i (not a specific percentage - just a plain 2.i)? If so, for what course?
    My academic condition is a 2.i as well, for PhD in Genetics.

I think i've seen you discussing about this on the Oxford group. I'd say Cambridge is more easy-going with regards to the academic conditions. Oxford has set a verg specific GPA that i must attain, and i must say it's rather high too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohwello)
    Hey! I ended up e-mailing graduate admissions and (luckily) they e-mailed back saying that it takes up to 5 working days to go through BoGS these days due to the fact that most of the offers are made now. The status changed on my self service account changed yesterday to 'Conditional Offer Made' and I got the official e-mail today.

How long did it take between the self service offer and the official offer email? I got the conditional offer on self service two weeks ago, and still no email...

ReputationRep:

That's great to hear! Thanks, I hope so .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pe94)
    I was offered a place, but I must have been in the first "offers wave" as I am currently a Cambridge student and applied for Gates/Trust scholarships.

Is the funding from the department or external sources, if you don't mind?
    Did you have an interview or not? Still under consideration and nothing happened. 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbypin)
    How long did it take between the self service offer and the official offer email? I got the conditional offer on self service two weeks ago, and still no email...
    Congratulations!
    I depends on the department but it should not take much longer now. The only "new" thing that the letter will tell you is who's your supervisor, if you were not informed about it already by the department

(Original post by TPCAM2016)
    Did you have an interview or not? Still under consideration and nothing happened. 😞Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was looking to be offered a place without an interview, so I am not sure when you can expect to hear back Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I finally received my offer for Ph.D. in sociology yesterday. How about college membership, will I be notified when my first choice turns me down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pe94)
    Congratulations!
    I depends on the department but it should not take much longer now. The only "new" thing that the letter will tell you is who's your supervisor, if you were not informed about it already by the department
    Thank you - I hope so!

Was the email a generic email from the graduate office telling you that they're "pleased to offer you admission" (I remember this is what I got a couple years ago for the MPhil). Or was yours a specific congratulatory email from your department? Because I have yet to receive any information or communication from my department (and I didn't have an interview for the PhD as I already met with my supervisor prior to application). Perhaps it is a departmental thing and I'll just have to wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d1993)
    I finally received my offer for Ph.D. in sociology yesterday. How about college membership, will I be notified when my first choice turns me down?
    Congratulations!

I think it depends. I was notified around six weeks after receiving my offer of admission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander I)
    Congratulations!

Look at it from the bright side; at least you will experience how it is to live on a nuclear power plant 😂
    Thanks I don't mind just girls around, being 45 minutes walking distance from my Faculty, but the building! It will take some getting used to.

:'( I know how you feel. It'll be alright, we can cry about it together hahah
    I cheer myself up with 24h library! Oh, and there is a cat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d1993)
    You'll be notified, I was turned down by both colleges of my choice and my status have changed after 4 weeks I think. I've recieved my membership on fifth week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbypin)
    Surprisingly, I received the official e-mail a day after my status changed on the self service. However, I did e-mail them a week or so ago, that I need the official offer for a scholarship that I applied and got rejected for - before I even got a chance to provide the offer. There you go

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

My college membership status says 'Seeking College Membership' so does that mean it's already being considered by my first choice or it's just awaiting consideration in a pile of applications? My first choice was Emma, second Newnham. Wouldn't mind ending at any of them

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

My college membership status says 'Seeking College Membership' so does that mean it's already being considered by my first choice or it's just awaiting consideration in a pile of applications? My first choice was Emma, second Newnham. Wouldn't mind ending at any of them
    It means that your offer is secure with the Department, and you're being considered by your first choice college, and if unsuccessful, by the second choice college. But unless you receive an email from Emma saying that you were NOT accepted, you will not know if it's still with Emma or already at Newnham. I hope it makes sense

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.