The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

isabella1999

How did you manage to improve soooo much on QR?! It is the section I am most struggling with currently:frown:

I didn't do timed practice at the start. I did a set of questions (4-8 at a time) with my phone stopwatch next to me and I tried to do the questions as quickly as I could. After I realised it took me 1 minute to do each question, I set timers for 55s a question, then 50s, then 45s then 40s. Once I could do the majority of sets in less that 50s, my QR went up so much. 40s is the time you get in the actual exam so make sure it do easy questions as quickly as possible so you have time for the harder ones.
Original post by Viromen
Hello people,

Just got average 810 in my UKCAT :smile: (was averaging 700 in medify so was pleasant surprise :smile:)

Verbal 760
Quantitative 900
Abstract 770
SJ Band 1

If I had any tips, it would be to use the decision making time to practice getting used to using the number pad on the keyboard (remember to hit num lock) as you will be pressed for time and it is much faster to input numbers into the calculator that way.

Overall, I found the verbal and the abstract to be a lot more difficult than medify or the 1000 questions book - not very obvious patterns. In SJ I managed to get a Band 1, when I had been getting band 2 in medify mocks.

Verbal tended to be on very complex topics that required a lot of thinking for what the correct answer was.

Abstract had many more complete the pattern questions - however, these were much harder than your simple number of sides increases by 1 etc...

Good luck to all still revising!

Lots of people have been saying that the VR (and AR sometimes) are harder in the real exam. But what I don't understand is how are people getting higher scores in the real exam then? You said you were averaging 700 and you ended up with 810 even though the questions were harder. Doesn't make sense
I did the kaplan course and have got the 1000 question book, is it worth doing the medify course?(my test is on sept 1st)
Original post by Ruchdapooch
I did the kaplan course and have got the 1000 question book, is it worth doing the medify course?(my test is on sept 1st)

Idk much about kaplan but defo start off with the 1000q book i would say. Once u have got into the mind frame of how the questions are, buy medify.
I think medify is quite good although i havent done the actual exam yet but appaz its similar to the real thing.
ps some of the QR questions in the 1000q i found horrible omg :frown:
Original post by ronnydandam
You got an interview at Leeds with those GCSEs( they're not at all bad, mine are basically the same so I'm not insulting you or anything), did you have a super high BMAT?

I know some people with very similar GCSE's get 4 interviews :s-smilie: and not really it was just a bit above average I think
Original post by ronnydandam
685 according to medify, 710 according to the method most people use, wbu

I only got 645 avg but i suck and fail at everything so
Original post by Pra99
Lots of people have been saying that the VR (and AR sometimes) are harder in the real exam. But what I don't understand is how are people getting higher scores in the real exam then? You said you were averaging 700 and you ended up with 810 even though the questions were harder. Doesn't make sense

I was quite reliably averaging 700-750 for VR in the mocks and got 670 in the real thing, so that's not the case for everyone. It went from my best section to my worst! However, people might score higher despite the increased difficulty because they go into the exam at the height of their preparation and concentration. Some people spread mocks throughout the course of their revision, so their marks, high though they may be, aren't a good reflection of their capability. I was almost ready to do the test before I started attempting mocks, so I think the scores were a fairly good reflection of the difference in passage lengths in my experience of VR.
Original post by Chikkinn
I was quite reliably averaging 700-750 for VR in the mocks and got 670 in the real thing, so that's not the case for everyone. It went from my best section to my worst! However, people might score higher despite the increased difficulty because they go into the exam at the height of their preparation and concentration. Some people spread mocks throughout the course of their revision, so their marks, high though they may be, aren't a good reflection of their capability. I was almost ready to do the test before I started attempting mocks, so I think the scores were a fairly good reflection of the difference in passage lengths in my experience of VR.

The highest score i have ever even got in a mock for VR is 670 :frown: so this worries me as im already struggling :frown:
Original post by clairebear101
The highest score i have ever even got in a mock for VR is 670 :frown: so this worries me as im already struggling :frown:

Well firstly, 670 is a great score. All I can suggest for VR is trying all the techniques people posted here (e.g. skimming to map layout of the text, then going back for specifics on a question-by-question basis, or just reading the questions first etc.) and identifying what works best for you, then sticking with practising that. Apparently I'm a weirdo, because the best way by far for me was just reading the text at my normal pace, if not slightly slower, then answering the questions without checking the text. VR's the most reliable section, you know exactly what you're going to be up against; the texts may be longer in the real thing, but the complexity of the passage and the questions is the same. So it's just a case of being able to control your concentration and applying the practised technique.
Hi all,

Can someone please please please give me useful advice (that actually works :rolleyes:) for the AR? I just can't seem to find any patterns... :frown:

So can someone please tell me how the heck I'm meant to get a decent score on that section??
The other sections aren't exactly easy, but you can practice with them and maybe improve. AR doesn't work like that for me, so can someone please help??

Thanks in advance : D
Well firstly, 670 is a great score. All I can suggest for VR is trying all the techniques people posted here (e.g. skimming to map layout of the text, then going back for specifics on a question-by-question basis, or just reading the questions first etc.) and identifying what works best for you, then sticking with practising that. Apparently I'm a weirdo, because the best way by far for me was just reading the text at my normal pace, if not slightly slower, then answering the questions without checking the text. VR's the most reliable section, you know exactly what you're going to be up against; the texts may be longer in the real thing, but the complexity of the passage and the questions is the same. So it's just a case of being able to control your concentration and applying the practised technique.

I actually agree with you. I did the read the passage well and answer without looking back thing for most of the VR. i only changed to reading the question then scanning the text for the answer towards the end of the VR segment when i had about 50 seconds left for ~6 questions.
Original post by amelialv
I have only recently started to practice the UKCAT itself, and the quantative reasoning part is the worst for me in terms of time :frown:My friends also find it difficult, I guess it is just about practice - the pattern repeats itself even though the questions are different, etc.I think working really hard on the first ones and guessing what you can't solve in time is the best tactic

I found that doing untimed practices first to get used to the whole flow of things before transitioning to timed practice helped me a great deal. I actually dont think that theres a pattern for QR though practice would definitely help! I wouldnt agree with working really hard on the first ones. You should work fast on simple ones and skip difficult ones instead because some of the first few questions may be harder compared to the back where simple questions may appear.

Okay thank you :smile: yeah i was wondering because people are saying its so much harder in the real thing but i dont see how the complexity can be much harder if you have practiced enough reading comprehension. thank you for the advice
Original post by Agent R5
Hey
Okay... so I just sat my UCAT and got:
VR - 470 :angry: (Had huge paragraphs and a lot of deep analysis questions)
QR - 830
AR - 640
SJT - Band 3:frown:
This gives me a 650 ish average. Was aiming for around 700 but VR brought my average down completely.
Would you say this is enough to get an interview for undergraduate entry Dentistry?
I'm planning on taking a gap re-applying for Dentistry again but Im not sure where I can even apply to with this score?

GCSE's : 1A* 7As 3B's (not the best but I had an interview at Leeds last year)
A levels : AAA ( hopefully so lets say I have this for the time being :h:)

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me by letting me know where I can even apply... :s-smilie:
I think I can apply to:
Manchester
Glasgow
Barts
DundeePlymouth ( VR cut off was 480 last year:s-smilie:)
Cardiff ( Not sure on entry requirements right now)
Leeds (BMAT)

I can't apply to: Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol because I have a B in English at GCSE
Doubt that I can apply to Newcastle or Kings because of grades but not really sure.

Any help and replies is greatly greatly appreciated as I'm in such a pickle as I really want to do Dentistry and already have done over a months work experience in a GDP, couple days in a hospital and some other useful stuff.

Okay... I would say that the work experience in your gap year would support your application. These experiences will make it more competitive.

Also, I presume that you applied for deferred entry (or just re-applying) last year. Can I ask what your ukcat score was for each section last year?
(edited 7 years ago)
I know some people with very similar GCSE's get 4 interviews :s-smilie: and not really it was just a bit above average I think

fair enough, might apply to Leeds then
Original post by clairebear101
I only got 645 avg but i suck and fail at everything so

'only'?? 645 is good. be positive. the more positive and confident you are in the exam the better you'll do
Hey
Okay... so I just sat my UCAT and got:
VR - 470 :angry: (Had huge paragraphs and a lot of deep analysis questions)
QR - 830
AR - 640
SJT - Band 3:frown:
This gives me a 650 ish average. Was aiming for around 700 but VR brought my average down completely.
Would you say this is enough to get an interview for undergraduate entry Dentistry?
I'm planning on taking a gap re-applying for Dentistry again but Im not sure where I can even apply to with this score?

GCSE's : 1A* 7As 3B's (not the best but I had an interview at Leeds last year)
A levels : AAA ( hopefully so lets say I have this for the time being :h:)

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me by letting me know where I can even apply... :s-smilie:
I think I can apply to:
Manchester
Glasgow
Barts
DundeePlymouth ( VR cut off was 480 last year:s-smilie:)
Cardiff ( Not sure on entry requirements right now)
Leeds (BMAT)

I can't apply to: Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol because I have a B in English at GCSE
Doubt that I can apply to Newcastle or Kings because of grades but not really sure.

Any help and replies is greatly greatly appreciated as I'm in such a pickle as I really want to do Dentistry and already have done over a months work experience in a GDP, couple days in a hospital and some other useful stuff.

This gives you an average of 646.6. It's a decent score but not good enough for UKCAT heavy universities.
Manchester: avoid applying here. Last years UKCAT cutoff was 665. Even looking at previous years your score is lower than most cutoffs.
Barts: once again quite UKCAT heavy so avoid this one. However previously they balance the UKCAT score and UCAS tarrif so you'll need to check the updated requirements.
Cardiff: avoid Cardiff. Usually require over 7A*s at GCSE.
Avoid kings and Newcastle also because of UKCAT.
Is your b in English literature or language?
http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf
This website has a table of requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't let some of the high scores posted here scare you. But remember although lower scores aren't awful they will prevent you from applying to many places.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay can any of you relate to this: I'm getting quite low scores atm, like I'm not even surpassing the average score, but I'm a pretty good student overall and I've got good results, I've seen people who aren't as intelligent in school getting scores a lot better than mine when practicing, and I just don't get what I'm doing wrong. The average score seems really really difficult to me... Can anyone relate at all or is this just me?
Hey guys
Would you say a 670 average is ok if I'm applying to Birmingham, Barts and Leicester?
My GCSEs are 8A*s, 2 Distinction*s and 2As

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending