Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    URGENT Can someone please put the topics of each questions in order up URGENTLY NEED THIS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    I said the rate equation was the same and stated that iodine was not in it or whatever hence rate remains the same but I rushed it - any marks do you think?
    Sorry, genuinely have no clue (not even sure if what I wrote was right lol XD) Based on what I know from the syllabus, I'd guess that's too vague to count as clarification, because the question was more linked to whether or not increasing the concentration of ethanoic acid would have an effect on the rate equation

(Original post by FireBLue97)
    URGENT Can someone please put the topics of each questions in order up URGENTLY NEED THIS
    1. Acids/bases
    7. Kinetics
    8. Kinetics
    9. NMR

That's all that I remember sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    1. Acids/bases
    7. Kinetics
    8. Kinetics
    9. NMR

That's all that I remember sorry.
    Mate thats more questions than any1 can remember so thanxs.

(Original post by FireBLue97)
    Mate thats more questions than any1 can remember so thanxs.
    I can remember the topics but not in order sadly!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a Q on chem 5 now as i think you need to work on chem 5 now as its ch4 is done!
    THE Q is that in thermodynamics when we have a pure ionic model the experiment and theorotical values dont differ much but when we have a compound with covalent character the experimental date is more exothermic? Taking this into account and applying to periodicity and the fact that AL203 has a partially covalent character as the electron cloud is distorted and so it has partially covalent and ionic bonding , why isn't the melting point of al203 higher than na2o or mgo

i understand that the charge increases so stronger ionic bond etc thus the highest melting point of oxides is mgo but i wanna know why its not al2o3 considering its a bit covalent?
    is covelent bonding stronger or ionic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsesurvivor)
    Honestly likely that I will have gotten around 30 marks on that paper after getting almost 80 on every other past paper that I have done. I waited for this thread to die down from the initial anger in order to ask, does anybody have any idea how many UMS 30 marks would be or what would be needed for a D grade in this exam, as I'm needing a B overall to get into uni. Luckily, I have much better subjects to fall back on. My offer is ABB and I am seriously hoping universities will take this awful exam into consideration and let us in with, in my case, ABC.
    I was wondering the exact same thing, my mark is no more than 30-40 marks. Someone told you get an automatic U if you fail one of your units, or do I still have a chance to make it up with unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cave Felem;[url="tel:65829287")
    65829287[/url]]Did nobody else say fractional distillation? The alcohol has a different boiling point to the other compounds so it should be legit right?
    I said this!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELCRE)
    I was wondering the exact same thing, my mark is no more than 30-40 marks. Someone told you get an automatic U if you fail one of your units, or do I still have a chance to make it up with unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's total rubbish - your final total UMS score will determine your grade.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand why people found this paper outrageous. I thought it was okay. It wasn't easy but it wasn't hard either. They just tried really hard to over complicate questions. I didn't do brilliantly as well but I think everyone needs to chill.

Letting this paper get to your head will seriously effect your performance in future papers. Focus on CHEM5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahsan_ijaz)
    Hi,

I have a Q on chem 5 now as i think you need to work on chem 5 now as its ch4 is done!
    THE Q is that in thermodynamics when we have a pure ionic model the experiment and theorotical values dont differ much but when we have a compound with covalent character the experimental date is more exothermic? Taking this into account and applying to periodicity and the fact that AL203 has a partially covalent character as the electron cloud is distorted and so it has partially covalent and ionic bonding , why isn't the melting point of al203 higher than na2o or mgo

i understand that the charge increases so stronger ionic bond etc thus the highest melting point of oxides is mgo but i wanna know why its not al2o3 considering its a bit covalent?
    is covelent bonding stronger or ionic?
    Generally ionic character is stronger than covalency but it really depends what you are comparing with what. Some covelant bonds are much stronger than ionic bonds and vice versa.

I think to answer your question (i am taking a guess) is that the covelant character in aliminum oxide is little compared to the ionic character. This slightly weakens the ionic bonding which is prescedent and causes it to have a lower melting point. Or, the idea of shielding and ionic radius of each element comes into play to effect the attraction between the two. Aluminium has more shielding due to an electron being in the 3p orbital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    I don't really understand why people found this paper outrageous. I thought it was okay. It wasn't easy but it wasn't hard either. They just tried really hard to over complicate questions. I didn't do brilliantly as well but I think everyone needs to chill.

Letting this paper get to your head will seriously effect your performance in future papers. Focus on CHEM5.
    Agreed. But I have no idea what to expect for Chem 5 now. I felt confident for both units, but the exam on Tuesday completely shocked me so idek...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDan123)
    Agreed. But I have no idea what to expect for Chem 5 now. I felt confident for both units, but the exam on Tuesday completely shocked me so idek...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is exactly me!
    Was so confident I knew what I was doing and then that exam came and destroyed me.
    Now I'm revising CHEM5 like "is there even point when this probably won't even be asked?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDan123)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just get the basics of chem5 down and memorise those damn colours

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I have a question about the chem5 june 2015 paper

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JUN15.PDF

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN15.PDF

for 2b, why can't you use the equation

2H2 + O2 -----> 2H20 ??? Any help would be much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Just get the basics of chem5 down and memorise those damn colours
    I think CHEM5 is the slightly easier one (please don't let it be jinxed) because it's mainly about what you can remember and very little application questions can be asked

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    Hi guys I have a question about the chem5 june 2015 paper

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JUN15.PDF

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN15.PDF

for 2b, why can't you use the equation

2H2 + O2 -----> 2H20 ??? Any help would be much appreciated!!
    The enthalpy of formation is define as "when ONE mole of a substance is formed" therefore you need to only make ONE mole of Water/H2O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 26december)
    The enthalpy of formation is define as "when ONE mole of a substance is formed" therefore you need to only make ONE mole of Water/H2O
    Oh yeah! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Generally ionic character is stronger than covalency but it really depends what you are comparing with what. Some covelant bonds are much stronger than ionic bonds and vice versa.

I think to answer your question (i am taking a guess) is that the covelant character in aliminum oxide is little compared to the ionic character. This slightly weakens the ionic bonding which is prescedent and causes it to have a lower melting point. Or, the idea of shielding and ionic radius of each element comes into play to effect the attraction between the two. Aluminium has more shielding due to an electron being in the 3p orbital.
    Hi thanks,

I predicted a hard chem 4 paper ages ago lol - btw another Q - in AG= AH-TAS expression why is the entropy the one /1000 and not enthalpy as the enthalpy is kj/mol

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a diagram with the colours ions we need to learn for CHEM 5

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.