Turn on thread page Beta

so whos number one keeper?
    and im guessing it will be rooney owen up front? maybe owen and hesky with rooney behind
    what formation does capello like

ReputationRep:
    David James, apparently.

Capello is going with 'Experience', and James seems to have the most out of the ones picked.

I think it will be in this order:

James ---- Kirkland ---- Carson.

ReputationRep:
    James should be number 1. I would expect Rooney and Owen. Heskey will probably be dropped once the squad makes 23. We'll probably play 4-4-2.

ReputationRep:
    No Joey Barton this time...

:party:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Ben Foster must be licking his lips...

ReputationRep:
    OK. My two pence on the England squad.

Scott Carson: chance to redeem yourself, lad. His part in Aston Villa's success should not go unnoticed for one mistake.
    David James: will be pushing 40 by South Africa 2010. Why bother? Give someone a chance to earn and own the number one jersey like Peter Shilton, Gordon Banks and David Seaman have done. Enough stopgaps.
    Chris Kirkland: not Robert Green, influential in ensuring West Ham's safety? I was a huge fan of his at Liverpool, impressed by his bravery. These days he gets injured too often, and to not pick Green over him out of three England goalies?

Wayne Bridge: Not a regular for his club, but it's difficult to omit him and promote someone else to "second left back" with no strong claims.
    Ashley Cole: yep.
    Curtis Davies: a player who admitted his Aston Villa debut was pub standard and has only recently made it back into the Villa team. He'll be omitted when 30 becomes 23, but his inclusion is an interesting insight into Fabio Capello's thinking for the future.
    Rio Ferdinand: yep. Captain?
    Glen Johnson: not good the last time he was an England right-back. Much better for Portsmouth this season, and the only fit and decent alternative to Micah Richards.
    Ledley King: yep.
    Nicky Shorey: not been impressive for England. I prefer Leighton Baines to have a shot at being Ashley Cole's competition.
    Wes Brown: in for his ability to play two positions, I imagine. A solid if uninspiring option.
    Joleon Lescott: yep, but at centre-back please.
    Micah Richards: yep.
    Matthew Upson: odd. Though he is the keystone of West Ham's defensive excellence. Probably too slow for international football. Will be culled.
    Jonathan Woodgate: has stayed injury-free this season, and now straight into the Spurs team. My pick to be John Terry's understudy.

Michael Carrick: again, steady and uninspiring. That he is probably fifth choice (when Frank Lampard is fit) says good things about England's options in the middle.
    Steven Gerrard: yep.
    Gareth Barry: yes sir. His story and emergence from the wilderness is beautiful. Martin O'Neill persuaded him to stay at Villa rather than think he needs to look at a bigger club for international recognition, and the captain has put in very impressive performances for club and then country. I'm sure clubs of Villa's calibre would have been queuing up to take David Beckham from Real Madrid, so the difference in the two men's fortunes is an interesting parable.
    Jermaine Jenas: always the same with him. He starts to show what he can do with his club and is then picked for his country to underwhelm again. With everyone fit there are five better options in central midfield, so I expect him to be culled.
    Owen Hargreaves: damn right.
    Joe Cole: yep. But watch out for...
    Ashley Young: the top assistant in the league, and the best challenge to Joe Cole's place on the left to date. Unlike Cole, he's able to cross with his left and happy to stay wide left to do so. I'd love for him to be given a proper chance to show what he can do.
    Stewart Downing: he uses his right foot for a stepover, y'know. Hard to get rid of him, as he is the only left-footed option on the left flank. Slow and unskillful, can he get to the byline and whip them in on the international stage?
    Shaun Wright-Phillips: should not be able to consider his place on the right wing safe. Still fails to impress with his first touch. But in David Beckham's absence, Wright-Phillips having played recently for England must make the squad.
    David Bentley: I really hope he starts. If only just so we know whether he can cut the mustard. Superb for Blackburn, I think he can carry it over.

Emile Heskey: his inclusion makes me nervous about Capello's vision for England. One goal in seventeen games this season. He's been injured a bit too. With a lack of good proven options up front, isn't it time to give the unproven a chance, like the one Michael Owen took so gloriously in 1998?
    Gabriel Agbonlahor: Hope he gets a decent chance. We need to know who we can turn to when Michael Owen is sidelined, and Agbonlahor is as good an option as any.
    Michael Owen: looking lifeless at Newcastle. Two goals in 20 league appearances. Must make the squad, being the only proven England goalscorer, but are his England days numbered?
    Wayne Rooney: yep.
    Peter Crouch: yeah, OK. Just play it to his feet more is all I'm saying. The only one that comes close to joining Owen as a proven England goalscorer.

And the omissions.
    John Terry, Frank Lampard, Gary Neville, Ben Foster: injured, fair enough.
    Robert Green: Kirkland making it over him is odd.
    David Beckham, Sol Campbell: Capello hasn't closed the door on them. I would.
    Dave Kitson: no Englishman has scored more in the league this season, and for Reading. With the lack of decent proven options up front, why not take a chance on the man with the best claim to it?
    Jermain Defoe: his goal in Poland in 2004 convinces me that he can do it for England. But he hasn't been a Premiership regular in a while. He could change that if he signs and impresses for Portsmouth.
    Aaron Lennon: a similar option on the right to Wright-Phillips, his performance against Patrice Evra in the weekend showed us what he is capable of. Pace, dribbling, penetration, crossing. Has ages yet to make himself an England player.
    Paul Robinson: big news, dropping him. But he's not in the Spurs team right now. No complaints on that basis.
    Dean Ashton: get games under your belt.
    Phil Neville: versatile and committed. Will figure in the squad when the competitive games come around, I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    My squad would be -

James
    Richards Ferdinand King A.Cole
    Bently Gerrard Barry J.Cole
    Rooney Owen

Midfield imo, looks very balanced. Gerrard attacking, Barry conservative, Cole coming in from left and Bently supplying the crosses. However, I know that Rooney needs to be in squad for England to progress to the future but it was great to watch Heskey's and Owen's link up and previous matches.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Capellos right, maybe Beckham isnt fit enough although I cant see why considering hes training with our first team :confused:

Anyway, Im sure he'll get his 100th cap soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam12)
    My squad would be -

James
    Richards Ferdinand King A.Cole
    Bently Gerrard Barry J.Cole
    Rooney Owen

Midfield imo, looks very balanced. Gerrard attacking, Barry conservative, Cole coming in from left and Bently supplying the crosses. However, I know that Rooney needs to be in squad for England to progress to the future but it was great to watch Heskey's and Owen's link up and previous matches.
    Barry's done well when he's come in and has been excellent for his club, but Hargreaves is on another level to him when it comes to playing DM. If anyone's going to give Gerrard the freedom to play for England like he does for Liverpool, it's going to be Hargreaves (or King?!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan Grant)
    Maybe Capellos right, maybe Beckham isnt fit enough although I cant see why considering hes training with our first team :confused:

Anyway, Im sure he'll get his 100th cap soon enough.
    He is far from Fit.

Fannying around on a Beach in Brazil, and all that other ****, and moving to the MLS was a crap move.

he hasn't played since October.. I think...

He will get it, when he is fully match fit, can't risk the first game, with half fit players...

ReputationRep:
    Here's my eleven of choice, from Capello's 30.

Carson
    Richards Ferdinand Lescott Cole
    Hargreaves
    Gerrard Barry
    Bentley Rooney Cole

Give Carson a chance. Already voiced my reservations about James' inclusion.
    Only Terry's replacement in the back four raises a question. For me, King is too similar to Ferdinand, and those two should be considered direct rivals. This leaves Lescott and Woodgate, and the former edges it as he is the one being tried out at present anyway.
    I've for ages liked the idea of 433, with Hargreaves relieving Gerrard or Lampard completely of their defensive duties, and Barry/Carrick doing the playmaker act alongside him. One to try in Owen's absence, and Owen is well out of form at the moment anyway.
    Could swap Joe Cole or Bentley for Young, and the front three would still be fluid and incisive, capable of getting in front of goal often, and with support from Gerrard/Lampard.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous IMO.

Even if fitness was a doubt, he still should be included in the 30. There's certainly not 30 players better than Beckham. Makes you question Capellos actual motives behind dropping him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    Ridiculous IMO.

Even if fitness was a doubt, he still should be included in the 30. There's certainly not 30 players better than Beckham. Makes you question Capellos actual motives behind dropping him.
    Personal reasons maybe.

they never got on at R.Madrid..

No one knows, except Capello himself.

I'm ecstatic at Villa being the joint top providers to the England team with Man Utd. I that Villa have provided more England players than any other club in history. Not quite sure if this is actually true, but if it was most of them would have been in the 1800s . At the risk of being indulgent about my club, it makes me really proud that our first choice squad has 6-7 English players in it. Also Knight, Agbonlahor, Moore, Gardner are all Brummies. Quite different to most premiership clubs, especially our band of mercenaries cross-city rivals I was initially sceptical when O'Neill started making signings like Young for £9million, but now it seems worth it. I would also rather have the majority English and largely local squad that we have and finish 6th than have a band of disloyal mercenaries (not that all foreign players are disloyal of course - Olof Mellberg is anything but despite his decision to leave afet 7 years) that finish 4th.

Anyway, I'm indulging myself... the thread was about England. I personally am upset that Beckham didn't get a chance, I think he's a top player, adds to team spirit and deserves another chance under a new manager. Shame he didn't tempt Scholesy out of the wilderness though. I suppose a new manager has to be seen to looking forward rather than back, although I do wish he included Beckham.

ReputationRep:
    i don't see what the problem is. beckham has not played competitively for a while, and he's looked past it since the world cup anyway. capello showing his good sense.

but that said, some of the inclusions are a bit surprising. aaron lennon and dean ashton left out, but heskey, downing and davies in. what's up with that?

ReputationRep:
    best thing about the squad = gabby agbonlahor

ReputationRep:
    worst thing about the squad = no Aaron lennon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artemidoros)
    best thing about the squad = gabby agbonlahor
    No Joey Barton...

That's the best thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Explosions In The Sky)
    worst thing about the squad = no Aaron lennon
    He's over-rated IMO. He's just extremely quick, once he has to actually cross the ball the deliveries aren't really that good.

ReputationRep:
    i'm glad Agbonlahor has finally been called up, though i would have liked a little better mix up front, bring in someone else new (perhaps Walcott?).

And i think the decision not to have Beckham for now was the right one, all things being considered.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.