The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

melsonchun
Correct, but the projected tuition fee Warwick has sent me, together with my offer letter, puts it modestly at 11600 pounds, with possible increase for 2011/2012 year- the year i will be entering. That leaves 2400 pounds for food and accomodation?Likely?

I think Narve meant 15k pounds, more plausible.

i thought in most uni sites they estimate around 6000-7000 pounds living expenses for 38 weeks for non london areas?
Reply 1761
Isaacchan
i thought in most uni sites they estimate around 6000-7000 pounds living expenses for 38 weeks for non london areas?

ok on my UK Border Agency visa form it states to estimate for living costs...

800pounds per month if its in london
600pounds per month if its outside of london

so yeah.. calculating 9 months per education year. its 7200 pounds for london. and 5400 pounds for outside london roughly.
gi.
ok on my UK Border Agency visa form it states to estimate for living costs...

800pounds per month if its in london
600pounds per month if its outside of london

so yeah.. calculating 9 months per education year. its 7200 pounds for london. and 5400 pounds for outside london roughly.

that's actually pretty ok. cheaper than Melbourne or Sydney even
Reply 1763
Opened up my last year budget excel file (I keep track of expenses :P), and I see that the total I spent was:

£2730 - Accommodation (Whitefields)
£1183.03 - misc expenses, food, etc

=£3913.03

Add that to tuition fees, let's put it at £10900, and we get £14813.03.

So oops, I did mean £15k. Possible :smile:
gi.
haha melson you got an offer from warwick? congrats man!

haha.. yes giko. got warwick and bristol in my pocket now, waiting for king's. im more inclined to put warwick as my firm though.:wink:
bernice3601
I'm jealous!!! Haha melson, have you heard from King's? I do, at least, want to get into a London university.

hahah nope, i do want an offer from them though. whether ill be accepting them or not is another story altogether since it's an external affirmation and validation that im doing at least something right in my life.:rolleyes:

good luck man! im sure youll snag an offer.!
Isaacchan

bingo. my dad is estimating 10000 for living plus accom. think ill save or invest the rest if the cost of living can be so low.:biggrin:
melsonchun
bingo. my dad is estimating 10000 for living plus accom. think ill save or invest the rest if the cost of living can be so low.:biggrin:

save :biggrin:

or you can go for cheap booze every weekend :p:
Narev
Opened up my last year budget excel file (I keep track of expenses :P), and I see that the total I spent was:

£2730 - Accommodation (Whitefields)
£1183.03 - misc expenses, food, etc

=£3913.03

Add that to tuition fees, let's put it at £10900, and we get £14813.03.

So oops, I did mean £15k. Possible :smile:

WOW. That's really affordable. mind me asking what Uni you're from?
Reply 1769
melsonchun
haha.. yes giko. got warwick and bristol in my pocket now, waiting for king's. im more inclined to put warwick as my firm though.:wink:

nicely done. bristol as well.. so you will take warwick over kings if you get an offer from kings?
Reply 1770
Isaacchan
WOW. That's really affordable. mind me asking what Uni you're from?

Warwick.

A caveat though. Surviving on this budget means you have to be *really* Singaporean. Give a few examples.

-Online textbooks
-Free food (There is a LOT of free food in the UK, take advantage of the pizza places offering free pizza during orientation week and kope their free pizza vouchers, attend the AGMs of societies you belong to - usually dinner is provided, attend talks and meetings and help out, usually meals are provided. Parties. Ang mohs are damn generous. If they host a party, there can be damn good food, all paid for too.)
-Pots and pans (If you know your housemates well, share)
-TV license (not important - stream from laptop, the TV license people can only get you it's live. Stream an hour or so later, and they don't have a leg to stand on)

Ok, I'm not really that much of a cheapskate, but currently, I'm helping out with personal tutor lunches for the year 1s (talk to each small batch of students - this spans MANY weeks), giving tours round campus for incoming year 1s interviewees - as part of my role within the Statistics department. This will continue on in Term 2, so I will still get paid, and even have meals provided. This in turn leads to MANY days with lunch provided, plus I get paid. Then the Warwick chaplaincy offers a Lunchbar (yes, free lunch) each week. Lastly, there are big shots in the UK (those that write your textbooks, appear in the news, etc). They usually go to Universities to give talks, and it is customary for the University to host a decent dinner (buffet-stylish) to honour them. However, I only turn up for talks that interest me; I'm not that much of a cheapskate. This might be unique to Warwick though.
gi.
nicely done. bristol as well.. so you will take warwick over kings if you get an offer from kings?

the weird thing is that bristol dished me an unconditional offer whereas warwich demands that i take the IELTS. The reverse usually happens for most SG applicants though. How i wish warwick will be able to see my lnat essay.

Theoretically, cant say for sure when the offer comes in, but right now, i'm 70% sure.
melsonchun
the weird thing is that bristol dished me an unconditional offer whereas warwich demands that i take the IELTS. The reverse usually happens for most SG applicants though. How i wish warwick will be able to see my lnat essay.

Theoretically, cant say for sure when the offer comes in, but right now, i'm 70% sure.

i assume you're an IP student? LSE and Warwick also gave me conditional offers (asking me to do TOEFL or IELTS) even though i applied using my A level results. i emailed LSE for an exemption and the officer said they accept my IP english results, and just require me to send in a copy of the results slip. you should email warwick to ask.
Reply 1773
booyakasha
i assume you're an IP student? LSE and Warwick also gave me conditional offers (asking me to do TOEFL or IELTS) even though i applied using my A level results. i emailed LSE for an exemption and the officer said they accept my IP english results, and just require me to send in a copy of the results slip. you should email warwick to ask.

melsonchun

hmm, sounds weird cause i wasnt asked to take any TOEFL and IELTS from the universities that gave offers to me.

and why would they ask for ANY qualification to see whether you are proficient in ENGLISH. we are TAUGHT in english. TOEFL and IELTS are for students who are schooled/taught in their mother tongue and english is a taught as a language class, or at least thats what i understood as.:confused:

but on the bright side, you guys will probably ace IELTS and TOEFL.
Narev
Warwick.

A caveat though. Surviving on this budget means you have to be *really* Singaporean. Give a few examples.

-Online textbooks
-Free food (There is a LOT of free food in the UK, take advantage of the pizza places offering free pizza during orientation week and kope their free pizza vouchers, attend the AGMs of societies you belong to - usually dinner is provided, attend talks and meetings and help out, usually meals are provided. Parties. Ang mohs are damn generous. If they host a party, there can be damn good food, all paid for too.)
-Pots and pans (If you know your housemates well, share)
-TV license (not important - stream from laptop, the TV license people can only get you it's live. Stream an hour or so later, and they don't have a leg to stand on)

Ok, I'm not really that much of a cheapskate, but currently, I'm helping out with personal tutor lunches for the year 1s (talk to each small batch of students - this spans MANY weeks), giving tours round campus for incoming year 1s interviewees - as part of my role within the Statistics department. This will continue on in Term 2, so I will still get paid, and even have meals provided. This in turn leads to MANY days with lunch provided, plus I get paid. Then the Warwick chaplaincy offers a Lunchbar (yes, free lunch) each week. Lastly, there are big shots in the UK (those that write your textbooks, appear in the news, etc). They usually go to Universities to give talks, and it is customary for the University to host a decent dinner (buffet-stylish) to honour them. However, I only turn up for talks that interest me; I'm not that much of a cheapskate. This might be unique to Warwick though.

Thats where your $150 come from? Is the tour specific to the stats dept only, or does every dept have some form of rep? thanks for the great insight too.. ill be sure to scrimp and save so i can tour europe!
booyakasha

Actually no, i wasnt from the IP. emailed them a few times already. they seem rather firm with their condition and unwilling to bend the rules even when i dangle the prospects of having an additional source of income (the fees we pay) in front of them.:confused:
Reply 1776
melsonchun
Thats where your $150 come from? Is the tour specific to the stats dept only, or does every dept have some form of rep? thanks for the great insight too.. ill be sure to scrimp and save so i can tour europe!

Hmm. Hard to tell, because while I do know that every department will give interviews to potential (local) applicants, I have no idea of their individual policies (staff conducting tours, or students conducting tours). It's really based on your department, how nice they are and all that, and the Statistics department at Warwick can be quite informal and one big happy family at times :smile: Hahaha. From different branches/units in SAF..and now mentioning different departments in University.
good day people. i've got my unconditional acceptance to uni of manchester but the level of entry is 1 instead of the 2 i applied. is there anyway to appeal this?

i'm applying for 2011 so would it be advisable to take the risk and reject this offer and wait for the next application and try again ?
Reply 1778
tanglewire
good day people. i've got my unconditional acceptance to uni of manchester but the level of entry is 1 instead of the 2 i applied. is there anyway to appeal this?

i'm applying for 2011 so would it be advisable to take the risk and reject this offer and wait for the next application and try again ?

i dont know about the level of entry 1/2. but do you mean the year of entry? well in any case, emailing them would the best bet for an appeal.

some schools do blacklist students from what i heard (especially the london schools), when the applicants are on deferred application, then reject an offer. and apply again. if Manc is your first choice, i dont recommend you taking the risk and rejecting them, but if it is further down your list of choices, then why not?
yes i do mean first year and second year entry. university of manchester aren't on the top on the list but it definitely has become my top choice after a brief interview session i had with their admission officer a few months back.

i've already sent an email but hasn't had any reply for a week. i really doubt things are so inefficient as it seems. should i let the waiting continue ?

Quick Reply

Latest