The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AtomicMan
No, neurones secrete neurotransmitters by exocytosis.

Is that when the vesicles in the presynaptic neurone bind to the presynaptic membrane and release acetylcholine?
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Is that when the vesicles in the presynaptic neurone bind to the presynaptic membrane and release acetylcholine?

yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok I think homeostasis may come up as an essay title, I'm just wondering if theres any other methods of homeostatsis that people can think of apart from-

- Blood pressure
- Temperature
- glucose
- Ph buffers
- Immune response(Possibly)
- Kidney ultrafilteration
?
Just got 55/100 on the specimen paper, should I be worried? :s-smilie:

including the essay? if without essay then that's excellent
Original post by master y
including the essay? if without essay then that's excellent

With essay :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1766

no don't be worried. just look back through the paper and see what topics you didn't do so well in and go over them and improve. :smile:

well the specimen is very hard anyway, i wouldn't worry! i probably got the same mark
Hey guys :smile: Am I right in thinking that as I got a B in Unit 4, I can't get an A* overall? I assumed this was true but a friend confused me about the A* today! Thanks :smile:
Original post by blueeyedgirl
Hey guys :smile: Am I right in thinking that as I got a B in Unit 4, I can't get an A* overall? I assumed this was true but a friend confused me about the A* today! Thanks :smile:

As long as you get an A overall, and 270 ums in A2 you can still get an A*
need help on essay writing! :frown: does anyone know where I can find sample essay answers (that get high marks, about 20-24 range) or if anyone is willing to send me their own answers so I can have a look to see how to approach things.
Reply 1771
Original post by mariposaa
Has anyone studied the kidneys in relation to homeostasis (for off-spec essay topic)? I can't seem to find any clear reading material, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit:

@charch95, what materials did you use? Or websites?...Please?

This was just on a list of essay plans that my teacher gave me. Sorry, I don't have any other materials, or know anything personally about the kidney.
Hi there,

Does anyone know how much this UNIT 5 BIOL is worth?

I think it's around 23.3%. If I'm averaging a solid B on the other 77%, then whats the lowest I can get on this paper and still achieve a B overall?

I've left myself a week to revise it and starting to panic!
Original post by Richyp22
Ok I think homeostasis may come up as an essay title, I'm just wondering if theres any other methods of homeostatsis that people can think of apart from-

- Blood pressure
- Temperature
- glucose (concentration?)
- Ph buffers
- Immune response(Possibly)
- Kidney ultrafilteration
?

also....

blood pressure?

It can be controlled via the SAN, with impulses either from the sympathetic or parasymphatetic nerves?
Original post by ahawkes06
Hi there,

I think it's around 23.3%. If I'm averaging a solid B on the other 77%, then whats the lowest I can get on this paper and still achieve a B overall?

i think u can get a C in biol5 to get a B overall. you would need to panic only if u need an a overll! :vader:
Original post by ahawkes06
Hi there,

How many UMS points (roughly) do you have?

If you had the middle B grade marks in each unit, that would be 225 UMS in AS year + 75UMS in U4 + 45UMS in U6= 345UMS in total. You need 420 total UMS marks for a B overall, so that's 75UMS for U5, which equates to a D grade :smile:

It does depend on your own UMS marks though.
Hey, I have a question about how the synoptic essay is marked

Does anyone know if the criterias are marked independently??? E.G. If I was writing an essay on 'cycles in biology' and I wrote about three cycles, two of them were physiological cycles whilst the other is say a cycle in predation, and my scientific knowledge was good - would I only lose marks on breadth??

My teacher has been marking it dependently so despite writing all the right things, I got marked down on both scientific knowledge and breadth. Can anyone clarify?
Can anyone tell me what topics AS and A2 go under the topics

1. Physiological
2. Ecological ?

Thanks
Original post by loveheartsandall
Hey, I have a question about how the synoptic essay is marked

Does anyone know if the criterias are marked independently??? E.G. If I was writing an essay on 'cycles in biology' and I wrote about three cycles, two of them were physiological cycles whilst the other is say a cycle in predation, and my scientific knowledge was good - would I only lose marks on breadth??

My teacher has been marking it dependently so despite writing all the right things, I got marked down on both scientific knowledge and breadth. Can anyone clarify?

You need to make 16 accurate points to get the 16 marks, and mention either 3 kingdoms or points from 3 different modules to get the breadth. So if you only wrote about 3 cycles, they would each have to have about 6 steps that you wrote about in incredible detail

Your teacher has been marking correctly

Hope that's helpful :smile:
Original post by Beth_L_G
You need to make 16 accurate points to get the 16 marks, and mention either 3 kingdoms or points from 3 different modules to get the breadth. So if you only wrote about 3 cycles, they would each have to have about 6 steps that you wrote about in incredible detail

Your teacher has been marking correctly

Hope that's helpful :smile:

what denotes a 'point'

Latest

Trending

Trending