This discussion is closed.
DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AtomicMan)
No, neurones secrete neurotransmitters by exocytosis.
Is that when the vesicles in the presynaptic neurone bind to the presynaptic membrane and release acetylcholine?
AtomicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
Is that when the vesicles in the presynaptic neurone bind to the presynaptic membrane and release acetylcholine?
yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mangodepo11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok I think homeostasis may come up as an essay title, I'm just wondering if theres any other methods of homeostatsis that people can think of apart from-

- Blood pressure
- Temperature
- glucose
- Ph buffers
- Immune response(Possibly)
- Kidney ultrafilteration
?
AtomicMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just got 55/100 on the specimen paper, should I be worried?
master y
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
including the essay? if without essay then that's excellent
AtomicMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by master y)
including the essay? if without essay then that's excellent
With essay :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anjna
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
no don't be worried. just look back through the paper and see what topics you didn't do so well in and go over them and improve.
master y
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With essay :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
well the specimen is very hard anyway, i wouldn't worry! i probably got the same mark
blueeyedgirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys Am I right in thinking that as I got a B in Unit 4, I can't get an A* overall? I assumed this was true but a friend confused me about the A* today! Thanks
Beth_L_G
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by blueeyedgirl)
Hey guys Am I right in thinking that as I got a B in Unit 4, I can't get an A* overall? I assumed this was true but a friend confused me about the A* today! Thanks
As long as you get an A overall, and 270 ums in A2 you can still get an A*
ActaNonVerba
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
need help on essay writing! does anyone know where I can find sample essay answers (that get high marks, about 20-24 range) or if anyone is willing to send me their own answers so I can have a look to see how to approach things.
charch95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mariposaa)
Has anyone studied the kidneys in relation to homeostasis (for off-spec essay topic)? I can't seem to find any clear reading material, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit:

@charch95, what materials did you use? Or websites?...Please?
This was just on a list of essay plans that my teacher gave me. Sorry, I don't have any other materials, or know anything personally about the kidney.
ahawkes06
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

Does anyone know how much this UNIT 5 BIOL is worth?

I think it's around 23.3%. If I'm averaging a solid B on the other 77%, then whats the lowest I can get on this paper and still achieve a B overall?

I've left myself a week to revise it and starting to panic!
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Richyp22)
Ok I think homeostasis may come up as an essay title, I'm just wondering if theres any other methods of homeostatsis that people can think of apart from-

- Blood pressure
- Temperature
- glucose (concentration?)
- Ph buffers
- Immune response(Possibly)
- Kidney ultrafilteration
?
also....

blood pressure?

It can be controlled via the SAN, with impulses either from the sympathetic or parasymphatetic nerves?
master y
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ahawkes06)
Hi there,

I think it's around 23.3%. If I'm averaging a solid B on the other 77%, then whats the lowest I can get on this paper and still achieve a B overall?

i think u can get a C in biol5 to get a B overall. you would need to panic only if u need an a overll! :vader:
Gnome :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ahawkes06)
Hi there,

How many UMS points (roughly) do you have?

If you had the middle B grade marks in each unit, that would be 225 UMS in AS year + 75UMS in U4 + 45UMS in U6= 345UMS in total. You need 420 total UMS marks for a B overall, so that's 75UMS for U5, which equates to a D grade

It does depend on your own UMS marks though.
loveheartsandall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I have a question about how the synoptic essay is marked

Does anyone know if the criterias are marked independently??? E.G. If I was writing an essay on 'cycles in biology' and I wrote about three cycles, two of them were physiological cycles whilst the other is say a cycle in predation, and my scientific knowledge was good - would I only lose marks on breadth??

My teacher has been marking it dependently so despite writing all the right things, I got marked down on both scientific knowledge and breadth. Can anyone clarify?
master y
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can anyone tell me what topics AS and A2 go under the topics

1. Physiological
2. Ecological ?

Thanks
Beth_L_G
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by loveheartsandall)
Hey, I have a question about how the synoptic essay is marked

Does anyone know if the criterias are marked independently??? E.G. If I was writing an essay on 'cycles in biology' and I wrote about three cycles, two of them were physiological cycles whilst the other is say a cycle in predation, and my scientific knowledge was good - would I only lose marks on breadth??

My teacher has been marking it dependently so despite writing all the right things, I got marked down on both scientific knowledge and breadth. Can anyone clarify?
You need to make 16 accurate points to get the 16 marks, and mention either 3 kingdoms or points from 3 different modules to get the breadth. So if you only wrote about 3 cycles, they would each have to have about 6 steps that you wrote about in incredible detail

Your teacher has been marking correctly

Hope that's helpful
master y
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beth_L_G)
You need to make 16 accurate points to get the 16 marks, and mention either 3 kingdoms or points from 3 different modules to get the breadth. So if you only wrote about 3 cycles, they would each have to have about 6 steps that you wrote about in incredible detail

Your teacher has been marking correctly

Hope that's helpful
what denotes a 'point'
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (84)
68.29%
No I haven't decided yet (23)
18.7%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
13.01%

Watched Threads