Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, when comparing poems, you could start with a sentence such as "The theme of -something- is shown in both -a poem- and -a poem-"

Then you could analyse both of these themes within the poems individually and link readings every now and again?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I just did the Unit 1 English Lit exam and even though it was easy, I panicked and I think i messed it up. I wrote quite a lot but they weren't very good points and I think I may have repeated myself :/

I got full ums in the poetry, 37/40 raw mark for the coursework so does anyone know what I would need to get in this exam to get an a* overall? or an a minimum?

Thank You so much, i'm so worried and panicked! x :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChiaraNicole)
    anyone do woman in black? i have no idea what the second available question was going on about - something about childhood? i only know of one person who chose that question! felt like i didn't have enough time to finish my WIB because i concentrated mostly on OMAM in the end...
    Yeah I did woman in black the question was about how does hill use the presentation of children for effect or something like that. I did the other one but I guessed you could of written about the children at the gate at the funeral and also nathaneal drablow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    flag will not come up in higher... neither will the falling leaves

ive decided to just pick out 5 poems which have universal links to all the themes and just revise them
    plus these havent come up yet

the ones that im doing are:

OOTB , hawk roosting, come on come back ,the yellow palm and the right word..

what do you think will come up.. interms of themes??

ryan
    Why wont flag or the falling leaves come up?

ReputationRep:
    1 hour 30 mins is not enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i didn't know much to say about Slim,other than things like he was presented in a positive light,well respected, listened to, 'prince of the ranch' and very supporting! i don't know if it was enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomg)
    1 hour 30 mins is not enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Agreed. Think we should have gotten 2 hours, it would have been much better and would have given us time to think through about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    All hail Mr Bruff :adore: Good points there
    I came up with Lennie killing the animals part. I thought that ending it on a high would cloud the fact that the rest of it was bs :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersson)
    Why wont flag or the falling leaves come up?
    there are 3 poems that wont come up in the hiegher tier for every cluster .... i dont know why

there is another one aswell... i dont know what it is though

ryan

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean Slim and Eric won't come up for the edexcel IGCSE literature exam?!!!

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    I came up with Lennie killing the animals part. I thought that ending it on a high would cloud the fact that the rest of it was bs :mmm:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chococup123)
    Agreed. Think we should have gotten 2 hours, it would have been much better and would have given us time to think through about it!
    We definitely needed more thinking time! I'm not a slow writer, but I need to think through what I'm going to write before I put pen to paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    there are 3 poems that wont come up in the hiegher tier for every cluster .... i dont know why

there is another one aswell... i dont know what it is though

ryan
    How do you know this??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radhikagulati)
    Hey,

I just did the Unit 1 English Lit exam and even though it was easy, I panicked and I think i messed it up. I wrote quite a lot but they weren't very good points and I think I may have repeated myself :/

I got full ums in the poetry, 37/40 raw mark for the coursework so does anyone know what I would need to get in this exam to get an a* overall? or an a minimum?

Thank You so much, i'm so worried and panicked! x :nooo:
    Poetry UMS is 70, 37/40 for Unit 3 translates to 48 UMS - this adds to 118 so you only need 62/80 UMS in this exam for an A*, which translates to only 38/68 - just over half marks!
    You should be fine.
    You may find this useful for the future, it's what I used to work this out:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

ReputationRep:
    As an 'original interpretation' i put that power and authority on the ranch was based on skills and strength not intelligence. If it was based on intelligence people like Crooks would have power, showing that society cared more about looks and physical skills than mental.
    I was just like WTF through the whole exam.:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    who did question 17 for An Inspector calls? and what did everyone write? did you focus on the quotation they gave us or on the rest of the play?
    I did about
    lighting
    Structure
    Timing
    Dramatic irony of the times in which it was set etc
    Does this link to the question?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do the AIC question about the ending of the play??? No one at my school did and I don't know if what I did was right?? Will it matter if I didn't do that much context and lots of Lang analysis for AIC as well, some of my friends started talking about how it was the golden age and capitalism etc and all I did was that it conformed to the rules of a well made play??

ReputationRep:
    For me, doing PH and Kindertransport, this paper was awful.
    Not to mention I couldn't find any quotes for the questions.
    Let's hope poetry brings my grade up, otherwise...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)

What do you think you'll get overall?

ReputationRep:
    Guys I wouldn't rule out studying any of the poems...even if the poem doesn't show up you might be able to use it to make really good comparisons

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.