Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013 watch

• View Poll Results: Which topic(s) are you finding most difficult?
    Shapes of molecules and ions
    11.66%
    Intermediate bonding and bond polarity
    15.95%
    Intermolecular forces
    9.82%
    Redox
    17.79%
    Group 2 & 7
    40.49%
    Kinetics & Equilibria
    14.11%
    Organic Chemistry - Alcohols and Halogenoalkanes
    39.26%
    Mechanisms
    26.38%
    Green Chemistry
    28.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevsamuel)
    I think I dropped a maximum of 22 marks according to the unofficial mark scheme...what grade would 58/80 be?
    Probably a B would be my guess; depends how the UMS works this year though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What is 106 ums? I would estimate around 66-67 marks for that.

ReputationRep:
    do u guys think 74-75 marks are going to be full ums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jollygood)
    do u guys think 74-75 marks are going to be full ums?
    I think 77 maybe 76 i don't think the paper was that much harder than january and that was 77

ReputationRep:
    the main question i got wrong was the flame test one i didnt put flame test i said the gas produced by heating can be treated with lime water and bla bla bla i dont know what the mark scheme says. and i just lost 1 mark in mcq amd 1 mark for colour change in absence of indicator. i just said it will go really pale yellow.hopefully be getting around 74-75.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jollygood)
    the main question i got wrong was the flame test one i didnt put flame test i said the gas produced by heating can be treated with lime water and bla bla bla i dont know what the mark scheme says. and i just lost 1 mark in mcq amd 1 mark for colour change in absence of indicator. i just said it will go really pale yellow.hopefully be getting around 74-75.
    Yeah but most people seem to question whether or not flame test was the right answer.

Remember that the senior examiners hold a meeting together to discuss which questions were controversial, and might actually award the flame test if that was indeed the correct answer, because the question could have been worded better

ReputationRep:
    For the question about the condtions for the mechanisms... I put using ethanol for elimination and using water for nucleophillic substitution... would I get the marks for that? Also guys for the questions about the prevention of hydrolosis...... I put that the ions from the hcl react instead of the ion from h20 which lead to no loss of water... would that get me any marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    Me neither, what did you put? I put brown to colourless but now I realise it's probably pale yellow and I can see my answer in the reject column...
    I put pale yellow to colourless because in the iodine - thiosulfate titration we wait till it turns pale yellow before we add the starch. But because its quite a absurd question they may accept brown

ReputationRep:
    for 25a(iv) i wrote that for hydrolysis an OH group is needed however there is no OH group in this case so no hydrolysis occurs and that bromine cant displace Chlorine. how many marks if any???

ReputationRep:
    i just put pale yellow, is that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    Yeah it didn't ask the colour before adding the starch though it asked for the colour change without indicator. I guess it could be brown to colourless if you considered the whole process as it would actually be brown > yellow > pale yellow > colourless
    Guess ill have to wait for the mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think they would accept most reasonable answers, but it said colour change at the end point without an indicator. Just before the end point it is pale yellow not brown..

ReputationRep:
    A couple of points on the unofficial mark scheme are questionnable e.g.

(Original post by Al_Chemist)
    iv) HCl dissociates into H+ and Cl-, H+ reacts with OH- to form water, so nucleophile unable to attack electron deficient region. [2]
    This is wrong, the HCl dissociating into H+ and Cl- means the H+ conc. increases, shifting the equilibrium to the left to counter the change.

(Original post by Al_Chemist)
    iii) Stretches bonds. [1]
    This is right, but I think "change in polarity" will also be accepted.

Overall I reckon I got marks ranging from 63-70, I hope the UMS is generous...any ideas which past exam the UMS will be similar to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maybenexttime)
    A couple of points on the unofficial mark scheme are questionnable e.g.

This is wrong, the HCl dissociating into H+ and Cl- means the H+ conc. increases, shifting the equilibrium to the left to counter the change.

This is right, but I think "change in polarity" will also be accepted.

Overall I reckon I got marks ranging from 63-70, I hope the UMS is generous...any ideas which past exam the UMS will be similar to?
    How about bromine can't displace chloride ions from solution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metaltron)
    How about bromine can't displace chloride ions from solution?
    It said adding an acid for example hcl, that means it must work with other acids too therefore I don't think that's right even though with I think that would be a valid argument with hcl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    It said adding an acid for example hcl, that means it must work with out her acids too therefore I don't think that's right even though with I think that would be a valid argument with hcl

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, hope they might be generous and let me have 1 mark, they did say for example HCl after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metaltron)
    Thanks, hope they might be generous and let me have 1 mark, they did say for example HCl after all.
    Lots of questions were badly worded so hopefully they'll be more lenient

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    question 22c(i) will i get any marks for writing a ketone is formed and for A no oxidation occurs

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sciencefella;43065435]question 22c(i) will i get any marks for writing a ketone is formed and for A no oxidation occurs[/QUOTE

for 'A' I put no reaction occurs.... would I get the mark for that

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Meehar17;43066056]
    (Original post by Sciencefella)
    question 22c(i) will i get any marks for writing a ketone is formed and for A no oxidation occurs[/QUOTE

for 'A' I put no reaction occurs.... would I get the mark for that
    No you wouldn't this is A level.
    You have to talk about the colour change of the solution and why

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ALevel96;43081996]
    (Original post by Meehar17)

No you wouldn't this is A level.
    You have to talk about the colour change of the solution and why
    but isn't that a observation?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.