Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For god's sake... Chelsea definitely back in this now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    if we offer one player 150k, more will ask, as someone noted, players like koscielny and co will ask whey they aren't paid so well. we're not going to spend 35m on a player, please be realistic. I said something similar about benteke a couple posts back, but thats football, sometimes you have to take chances. The thing with giroud is he had many chances this year, and missed some sitters.
    Strange argument. Every club has that problem when deciding when to pay top dollar for certain players and they seem to be able to do it? So what is Koscielny asks for an extra 10k, give it to him. We'll soon be bringing in more revenue than all but 3 other clubs on Earth and yet we still seem to have this mentality that we cant compete. I think Arsenal fans have been so affected by the lean Emirates years that they cant even conceive of us actually behaving like the extremely wealthy club that we are.

I dont think we'll be spending 35m on a player, or even 25m. But if we were genuinely going to smash our record with 25m on Benteke then I'd have to ask why we dont just bring in a world class striker like City did with Aguero for 10m more. Again we can afford that. Cautious Wenger wont go over 20 anyway im sure.

(Original post by Zürich)
    Strange argument. Every club has that problem when deciding when to pay top dollar for certain players and they seem to be able to do it? So what is Koscielny asks for an extra 10k, give it to him. We'll soon be bringing in more revenue than all but 3 other clubs on Earth and yet we still seem to have this mentality that we cant compete. I think Arsenal fans have been so affected by the lean Emirates years that they cant even conceive of us actually behaving like the extremely wealthy club that we are.

I dont think we'll be spending 35m on a player, or even 25m. But if we were genuinely going to smash our record with 25m on Benteke then I'd have to ask why we dont just bring in a world class striker like City did with Aguero for 10m more. Again we can afford that. Cautious Wenger wont go over 20 anyway im sure.
    difference between arsenal and a lot of clubs is our desire is sustainability. This means just because we have a lot of money in reserves does not mean we can spend it all. Have to save for rainy days.Studying economics i thought you'd know that. Also, doubt one of our best players will ask for only 10k extra tbh. You understate the importance of team morale tbh

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea definitely in the champions league

ReputationRep:
    **** lampard

ReputationRep:
    Well...that sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Are you kidding me? Goal at the death again?
    First Bale last week. Then Mata. Then Sigurdsson and now Lampard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoMathsPlease)
    Are you kidding me? Goal at the death again?
    First Bale last week. Then Mata. Then Sigurdsson and now Lampard
    Just our luck but at least 4th place is in our hands.

ReputationRep:
    Benteke <.<

Lets just beat Wigan and Newcastle, and forget this season.

ReputationRep:
    difference between arsenal and a lot of clubs is our desire is sustainability. This means just because we have a lot of money in reserves does not mean we can spend it all. Have to save for rainy days.Studying economics i thought you'd know that. Also, doubt one of our best players will ask for only 10k extra tbh. You understate the importance of team morale tbh

Sustainability? We're accumulating cash reserves by the season whilst agreeing mega sponsor deals, this is not sustainability. Bayern are sustainable, we are just living in fear. We're not betting the farm by spending our revenue, this is what Arsenal used to do until the Emirates project. Not to mention the fact that interest rates are at 0% so the club is not even saving well or that the taxman is taking a huge chunk out of our profits on an annual basis. You dont need an LSE education to know that...

(Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I think he meant that because we probably wont get lewandowski, he'd rather get benteke than stick with giroud as benteke will win us trophies whereas giroud wont?
    Mm, all right, but I'm not convinced that Benteke will be as much of an upgrade on Giroud as some people seem to think.

to be fair we have kind of adapted our system to giroud, playing in a lot more crosses than before, always looking to play lofted balls for him to head down, Benteke could operate in a similar fashion.
    Sure, but Giroud still looks out of sync with our midfield and I don't think it's entirely down to his deficiencies. To analyse the latter, I think Giroud's often been let down by his first touch and technicality under pressure; which of these would Benteke be a marked improvement on? The crux of my argument is that Benteke is going to be under a lot more pressure (not talking about psychology in this case, though that's going to crank up as well of course) playing for Arsenal than he is for Villa, and he'll have to adapt to the system and the conditions in the same way Giroud is currently doing. The main argument I'm anticipating is that Benteke's scored a lot of goals and thus must be a better finisher than Giroud; look at Giroud's goal-scoring record before he signed for Arsenal, and you can even look at the sort of goals he scored - they weren't all the result of poor defending (the 'weaker league' argument).

(Original post by NoMathsPlease)
    No no, I meant they would both bring us more than Giroud

I do agree 25m is quite steep for a player who is relatively unproven yet in the PL. However, I don't see Lew coming to us- Man U seem v interested in him and there is all that about his meeting with Madrid. Therefore, I think he would (Benteke) be worth a risk as there won't be many players of that calibre left. Falcao seems linked with Chelsea and Cavani PSG or City.
    Oh I don't think we're going to get any of those players, but I hope you're not really saying Benteke is of the calibre of Falcao and Cavani. :p: To expand upon the above paragraph, I really don't see Benteke coming in and immediately doing for Arsenal what he's been doing for Villa. Remember when Andy Carroll was supposedly one of the best strikers in the league and England's great hope up front? I think Benteke would be under the same sort of pressure at Arsenal - on the pitch, even more importantly than off it. It might have been good to get Benteke last season instead of Giroud, purely because he's younger and has more scope to improve - and we might have had a similar season to what we've had imo. If Benteke does come in, he'll need to be gelled in and given time and space to adapt. Look at Lukaku for Chelsea, and how much better he's doing with West Brom; I'm not saying Lukaku is unable to play for a better team, just as I'm not saying Benteke is unable to play for a better team, but neither are going to go to a bigger team and immediately set the league alight without a period of adaptation, imo. So in effect, 25 mil for Benteke would be 25 mil for a second-striker (if we're serious about improving this season) or a rotational striker, given that Giroud is already a season into this adaptive process.

(Original post by Abiraleft)

Sure, but Giroud still looks out of sync with our midfield and I don't think it's entirely down to his deficiencies. To analyse the latter, I think Giroud's often been let down by his first touch and technicality under pressure; which of these would Benteke be a marked improvement on? The crux of my argument is that Benteke is going to be under a lot more pressure (not talking about psychology in this case, though that's going to crank up as well of course) playing for Arsenal than he is for Villa, and he'll have to adapt to the system and the conditions in the same way Giroud is currently doing. The main argument I'm anticipating is that Benteke's scored a lot of goals and thus must be a better finisher than Giroud; look at Giroud's goal-scoring record before he signed for Arsenal, and you can even look at the sort of goals he scored - they weren't all the result of poor defending (the 'weaker league' argument).

Strong argument, I think Giroud too could be a top striker, his movement is exceptional and very underrated, his problem is missing chances he really should be burying. Girouds link up play is quite good, but i'd say Benteke's is better. He gets more involved in play than giroud. Benteke also uses his strength better than Giroud, but it is fantasy football as i stated in my first post, probably only going to get one striker in the summer if we do get one at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Mm, all right, but I'm not convinced that Benteke will be as much of an upgrade on Giroud as some people seem to think.

Oh I don't think we're going to get any of those players, but I hope you're not really saying Benteke is of the calibre of Falcao and Cavani. :p: To expand upon the above paragraph, I really don't see Benteke coming in and immediately doing for Arsenal what he's been doing for Villa. Remember when Andy Carroll was supposedly one of the best strikers in the league and England's great hope up front? I think Benteke would be under the same sort of pressure at Arsenal - on the pitch, even more importantly than off it. It might have been good to get Benteke last season instead of Giroud, purely because he's younger and has more scope to improve - and we might have had a similar season to what we've had imo. If Benteke does come in, he'll need to be gelled in and given time and space to adapt. Look at Lukaku for Chelsea, and how much better he's doing with West Brom; I'm not saying Lukaku is unable to play for a better team, just as I'm not saying Benteke is unable to play for a better team, but neither are going to go to a bigger team and immediately set the league alight without a period of adaptation, imo. So in effect, 25 mil for Benteke would be 25 mil for a second-striker (if we're serious about improving this season) or a rotational striker, given that Giroud is already a season into this adaptive process.
    Good thinking. I so see your logic. I'm probably slightly on the 'rash' side due to years of being frustrated with Wenger's conservative, careful market approach No I don't think Benteke is in their league haha, I just meant people better than Giroud. As previously said, Giroud is let down by his touch and composure at times, both of which are linked directly to skill. Thus, I don't think a lack of confidence is his issue, just frankly he isn't good enough.

Just want something to change that results in a trophy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Chelsea definitely in the champions league
    Did you seriously think we wouldn't be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    10mil extra is a lot..
    You say that but a striker scoring 20 goals a season in the top flight regularly for a relegation club is easily worth that amount.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it seem no one want Ashley Williams ? He is experienced has performed at a high level in the premier league and exudes leadership for me he makes perfect sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Why does it seem no one want Ashley Williams ? He is experienced has performed at a high level in the premier league and exudes leadership for me he makes perfect sense
    Would your competition sign him? You don't have any youngsters in the mix, why not sign some 20 year old for the future if you need a 4th choice CB rather than a 28 year old. Your CB's are 27, 28, and 28? If you are building the squad you would want someone one a bit younger in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Would your competition sign him? You don't have any youngsters in the mix, why not sign some 20 year old for the future if you need a 4th choice CB rather than a 28 year old. Your CB's are 27, 28, and 28? If you are building the squad you would want someone one a bit younger in there.
    That's why I suggested N'koulou, Sakho, Matip etc. before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Vermaelen will probably leave but either way I would take someone who you know for a fact can do the job rather than pay for another kid who isn't there yet every time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    That's why I suggested N'koulou, Sakho, Matip etc. before
    Why pay for potential for a player who has no experience in the premier league when you can go and get the finished article though ?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.