Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got 6 A* in GCSE. I am told that this may not be enough to apply for eg at Birmingham. Do I stand a chance if I apply at King's? What can I do to increase my chances of making it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timeline)
    I've got 6 A* in GCSE. I am told that this may not be enough to apply for eg at Birmingham. Do I stand a chance if I apply at King's? What can I do to increase my chances of making it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah you definitely stand a chance! I have 5A*s at GCSE, and I had an interview in December (still waiting to hear back though...). A high UKCAT is definitely needed and a solid PS is pretty important I guess! But if you like it go for it, Kings was my 'risky' choice and I (somehow) managed to get an interview so I guess it can pay off haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehroze1)
    Yeah you definitely stand a chance! I have 5A*s at GCSE, and I had an interview in December (still waiting to hear back though...). A high UKCAT is definitely needed and a solid PS is pretty important I guess! But if you like it go for it, Kings was my 'risky' choice and I (somehow) managed to get an interview so I guess it can pay off haha!
    Exactly the same here, 5A* and an interview in December! UKCAT is really important, a lot of unis have a weighting system in which you can make up for non-spectacular grades with a high UKCAT score and vice-versa.
    Does anyone know if medical schools care about if you go to a state or private school? I've heard a lot of rumours saying they expect more from private schools but is it all speculation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemon_sherbert123)
    Are you a grad? Starting to think non kings grads haven't heard anything maybe
    Nope, school leaver. Starting to think it all just depends on a really high ukcat score

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonGreeky)
    Exactly the same here, 5A* and an interview in December! UKCAT is really important, a lot of unis have a weighting system in which you can make up for non-spectacular grades with a high UKCAT score and vice-versa.
    Does anyone know if medical schools care about if you go to a state or private school? I've heard a lot of rumours saying they expect more from private schools but is it all speculation?
    Aha thats cool, how did yours go? Have you heard anything back from them yet? In terms of the school you go to, I don't think it impacts on your chance of getting an offer, I'd like to think that they assess the applicant rather than which school they went to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mukademy)
    I make a vow we both have to get in somewhere and compete, I will destroy you. Hopefully.
    Deal.

ReputationRep:
    Aha thats cool, how did yours go? Have you heard anything back from them yet? In terms of the school you go to, I don't think it impacts on your chance of getting an offer, I'd like to think that they assess the applicant rather than which school they went to!
    That sounds fair enough! I don't really know how well it went, I didn't come out feeling like I did very well, it was all so surreal and I was so nervous etc, so just playing the waiting game now ! I haven't heard anything back yet, in fact the latest interviewee that has heard back to my knowledge was interviewed on the 10th, I was on the 12th, so might hear back very soon indeed! What about you, how do you think it went? Heard anything?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds fair enough! I don't really know how well it went, I didn't come out feeling like I did very well, it was all so surreal and I was so nervous etc, so just playing the waiting game now ! I haven't heard anything back yet, in fact the latest interviewee that has heard back to my knowledge was interviewed on the 10th, I was on the 12th, so might hear back very soon indeed! What about you, how do you think it went? Heard anything?
    Yeah I know exactly how you feel, after reading other people's responses on how their interviews went, I think a lot of people felt the same. Nah I havent heard anything back yet, still waiting ahah! Ah nice, I was interviewed on the 12th aswell, what time were you??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cephalosporin)
    Grad here too and haven't heard a thing! Although I'm a bit of an "anomaly" because I happen to be international too. Don't really know what they'll do with me tbh... Ah.
    It just appears non kings grads are still waiting on 100 however I maybe wrong. Did u go to a uk uni?

ReputationRep:
    The wait is killing me!
    I haven't actually been waiting that long but I'm so impatient when it comes to things like this...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmagic)
    The wait is killing me!
    I haven't actually been waiting that long but I'm so impatient when it comes to things like this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah same here, hopefully tomorrow will be the day.

ReputationRep:
    It just appears non kings grads are still waiting on 100 however I maybe wrong. Did u go to a uk uni?
    I'm a UK grad that's heard nothing from A100. Is it just Kings grads that have been called to interview so far?

Perhaps they call other grads to interview in Jan because that's when A level students have exams? That's what I'm hoping at least!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know exactly how you feel, after reading other people's responses on how their interviews went, I think a lot of people felt the same. Nah I havent heard anything back yet, still waiting ahah! Ah nice, I was interviewed on the 12th aswell, what time were you??!
    12:00 you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRedPineapple)
    Yeah same here, hopefully tomorrow will be the day.
    Hopefully! Unless it's a rejection...
    *HAPPY THOUGHTS*
    When was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yaaa I am. Ah, let's all sit in tight. Maybe we'll hear something soon.

ReputationRep:
    same as yours remember, 10th December. Yikes i sure am dreading that possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Every time I see this thread..I see that people who were interviewed waaay before I was are still waiting for a reply. Makes the wait ahead of me feel impossibly long!

Sooo I'd just like to wish everyone good luck again for their applications in general as things start moving again this week

ReputationRep:
    12:00 you?
    aha nice 11:20 was my interview time, but I ended going up into the interview at around 11:30!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosine)
    Every time I see this thread..I see that people who were interviewed waaay before I was are still waiting for a reply. Makes the wait ahead of me feel impossibly long!

Sooo I'd just like to wish everyone good luck again for their applications in general as things start moving again this week
    At least you've had an interview...

ReputationRep:
    The wait is becoming ridiculous surely it doesn't take them more than 3 weeks to decide whether to accept or reject someone :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.