The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanb97
I think I was the first there for my session - like nearly 1.5 hours early XD
Idk how people are able to do it tbh.

When do you think we will get a reply? I thinks all replies will come out on one day (that happened for dec. offers I think)... I'm not sure when though.

Haha same! I sat around outside the hospital for aaaages! Well I know they're interviewing for another couple of days this week as I have a friend who has one on Thursday. So we probably won't hear this week? Maybe the week after...
Hey could you pm it to me thanks?
Original post by ladybird198
Hi, I know someone who wants to apply for medicine next year. Does anyone know of any personalised services (either online or otherwise) that will match an individual’s statistics to every university and tell you where you are most likely to get an interview, based on the entry requirements eg GCSEs, UKCAT, AS’s and personal statement? Rather than doing all the research about all of the universities yourself. Happy to pay a bit for it. Thanks!

I'll do it for you!
Original post by ladybird198
Hi, I know someone who wants to apply for medicine next year. Does anyone know of any personalised services (either online or otherwise) that will match an individual’s statistics to every university and tell you where you are most likely to get an interview, based on the entry requirements eg GCSEs, UKCAT, AS’s and personal statement? Rather than doing all the research about all of the universities yourself. Happy to pay a bit for it. Thanks!

Id suggest having a look at this TSR website and passing it on:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Its really helpful, I used it and it lists all the strengths that the particular med schools look for. But it may be a bit outdated and may change for the next application cycle so just double check later on in the year and cross ref with the uni website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the A* guy
Thats completely possible, I'm just basing it on previous years.

I'm not sure they have, I think we've got about 118 in my year and I'm first year
Original post by Athena97
How many students are there in a year for medicine at SGUL?

191 MBBS5 give or take a few, at least that's how many are on the list that we were given
but there are also the GEP's and I think they are also foundation programme people (although I'm not sure about that)
Original post by Wbif
Can someone please explain the difference between CBL and PBL
Thanks! :biggrin:

CBL is basically were you get a case which is spread over a few pages. The tutor gives you the first sheet and you discuss it with your group, explaining terms and if there's something that you guys don't know, you make that a learning objective. Then the next sheet is given out and you do the same thing, the next sheet usually tells you what happened to the patient next. Then after the session, before the next one you have to find the answers for the learning objectives. Then you come back a week later and spend half the CBL session reviewing the answers you got. Then you start a new case.

Original post by tania<3
CBL is a lot less complex and you basically just follow a story without having to make decisions. It's just following a "case".

PBL is much more interactive and more complex, it's all done online so you follow a patient's story through hospital/GP, and you and your group have to make decision on what treatments and investigations you would give them. Our (completely fictional) patient ended up dying last week because we prescribed them a benzodiazepine when we weren't supposed to :frown: You spend far more time discussing each problem, and you end up with a larger list of learning objectives than you do for CBL.
Original post by ac05
What are your opinions on whats good about the university

- Small university - more of a community feel
- All health care courses - good because everyone kind of knows what you're going through
- A lot of emphasis on practical skills - good to cement knowledge instead of just sitting in lectures
- Option of both prosection and dissection - good to have an option
- CBL/PBL (case based learning/ problem based learning) - also helps cement knowledge as it's more interactive
- Spiral curriculum - basically you learn all the topics on a basic level in the first years and then each year you go back to the topics and learn it in a more detailed way - so you get to revise what you learn from the last year
- Good facilities - dissection room is open for students to just go in a revise - also a Self directed learning room to practice clinical skills
- Attached to the hospital - makes way for good opportunities but also it just gives you a taste of where you might be working in the future (there are people walking around in scrubs everywhere :P)
- Near London - So you avoid the cost of london but you're close enough if you want to go
- Good transport links
- Placements very early on - First hand experience with patients in first few week - we've just had to GP placements where we did house visits to patients and interviewed them by ourselves - it was soo much fun
- Accommodation - is really nicee every room is en suite
- lectures - they have lecture alongside CBL and PBL which is good because it's integrated and most of them are recorded!! so if you happen to fall asleep or just not turn up :colondollar: then it's not the end of the world
- First semester - doesn't count, it's formative. However the grades do show up on your record. But this means that you can get yourself familiar with the whole exam process without it making any difference if you do good or not. (I think some other universities also do this)
- IFP - (Interprofessional foundation programme) This is what the first semester (12 weeks) is called, during which you have lectures and group work sessions with different courses (Radiographers, Physiotherapists, Healthcare Scientists and Biomeds). This helps with building good relations with other courses and also simulates what MDT dynamics will be like.
For those that do have conditional offers, what are the conditions?
Original post by the A* guy
Around 140-150 if I remember correctly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Original post by lazymedic
191 MBBS5 give or take a few, at least that's how many are on the list that we were given
but there are also the GEP's and I think they are also foundation programme people (although I'm not sure about that)

Thanks!
Hi

I've just had to remove a few posts from this thread that were a bit borderline in terms of discussing or asking for interview details. I'm taking this opportunity to remind you that TSR doesn't allow posters to discuss university interviews in a way that might give other applicants an advantage and you can receive a card/warning for this. It's fine to say something like "Turn up early and present yourself smartly", but discussion of specific stations or questions is crossing the line. It may also be breaking the agreements you've made with the university- most ask you to sign a confidentiality agreement after your interview.

If you see anyone posting asking for interview details or giving them, please report the post and don't quote it, as that means there are more posts for mods to remove.
Did anyone get another offer email today that doesn't actually tell you anything more than you already knew...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by picnmix
Did anyone get another offer email today that doesn't actually tell you anything more than you already knew...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, exactly the same except this one has admissions portal link that we were promised in December.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1774
Rejected from St georges, just got the email
Reply 1775
Original post by Rishy

Same :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1776

Sorry bout that, goodluck with the rest of your application.
Reply 1777
Original post by Rishy
Sorry bout that, goodluck with the rest of your application.

Thanks. And you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rishy

How long ago was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1779
Original post by AntSupper
How long ago was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Early feb

Quick Reply