Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trihawk7)
    Just asking, but how do your schools teach maths? my further maths and maths teachers just write stuff from the textbook on the board and make us copy it out in our example book then they just go on to do their own thing... I really hate the maths department in my school so much, just write **** up and don't even help...
    We just do revision packs and past papers all year round. Massive waste of time in my opinion but still seems better than your situation, which tbh is pretty standard in most schools for maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    This is quite literally the story of my life...

I quit senior section this year but I've just replaced it with ukulele club lol :facepalm:
    My senior section unit only meet once a month, so I'm quite lucky, although I'm considering quitting school orchestra... the music dept is trying to make me join the choir but don't seem to understand I am physically too busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SampleX)
    My senior section unit only meet once a month, so I'm quite lucky, although I'm considering quitting school orchestra... the music dept is trying to make me join the choir but don't seem to understand I am physically too busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My school band actually changed days pretty much so I could go lol. I have rowing on the day it used to be and they were desperately in need of a pianist... I really want to play with them in the school show but since I'm doing rowing training at a national level I can't commit the time needed sadly It's a shame because I think it'd be really fun. Perhaps next year when I hopefully have less rowing because everyone will realise how short I actually am lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh I feel so bad that the thread has gotten so big and I've barely been on it! Year 11 is too much work xD

Tbh though I still don't feel like I'm really a Year 11 yet... Year 11 as a phrase just has so much weight to it and I don't feel like I've lived up to it :P

Also annoyingly I keep on aiming for 100% in mocks or end of topic tests or whatever and I always lose about one mark on something stupid- not reading the question properly e.g. ticking one box when you're meant to tick two... or thinking 15 x 4 = 45 haha any advice??

ReputationRep:
    Oooh also anyone thinking of doing Chem A Level, could you share your reasons for doing so/ maybe convince me to do it too :P I want to do a Phys degree and I keep thinking that maybe Chem would be useful (atm my A Levels are Maths, FM, Physics, History) because most Physics applicants seem to do it and because of the subject links between the two. What do you think? Also Chemistry is one of my strongest subjects so I don't want to regret dropping it... heeeelp decisions are killing me

ReputationRep:
    Just asking, but how do your schools teach maths? my further maths and maths teachers just write stuff from the textbook on the board and make us copy it out in our example book then they just go on to do their own thing... I really hate the maths department in my school so much, just write **** up and don't even help...
    My teacher was useless.
    I didn't do homework from December to time of exam.
    I just self taught, and did past papers.
    Got an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vd12345)
    My teacher was useless.
    I didn't do homework from December to time of exam.
    I just self taught, and did past papers.
    Got an A*
    Well I want to do A Level maths and I don't think I can live with such bad teachers for another 2 years and A Levels...

ReputationRep:
    Well I want to do A Level maths and I don't think I can live with such bad teachers for another 2 years and A Levels...
    I want to do A level maths also. I'm looking to move for sixth form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nomes24)
    Oh my gosh I feel so bad that the thread has gotten so big and I've barely been on it! Year 11 is too much work xD

Tbh though I still don't feel like I'm really a Year 11 yet... Year 11 as a phrase just has so much weight to it and I don't feel like I've lived up to it :P

Also annoyingly I keep on aiming for 100% in mocks or end of topic tests or whatever and I always lose about one mark on something stupid- not reading the question properly e.g. ticking one box when you're meant to tick two... or thinking 15 x 4 = 45 haha any advice??
    I feel the same! xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you guys have any useful tips on how to pass a French oral exam? My last one is next Friday and I can't fail this one, otherwise I'm in trouble :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilaclilly14)
    Do any of you guys have any useful tips on how to pass a French oral exam? My last one is next Friday and I can't fail this one, otherwise I'm in trouble :/
    Which exam board are you? I do edexcel Chinese so I might be able to help you slightly if you're on edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vd12345)
    #Nerdrage
    Trolololollolololoolololollololo lololol
    I got the first HP book from school, but I think ima read the cherub one first
    Anyone else and I wouldn't have been as annoyed... It's just Justin Bieber NOOOOOOOOOOO.
    I have an inexplicable hatred for him.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on OCR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nomes24)
    Oooh also anyone thinking of doing Chem A Level, could you share your reasons for doing so/ maybe convince me to do it too :P I want to do a Phys degree and I keep thinking that maybe Chem would be useful (atm my A Levels are Maths, FM, Physics, History) because most Physics applicants seem to do it and because of the subject links between the two. What do you think? Also Chemistry is one of my strongest subjects so I don't want to regret dropping it... heeeelp decisions are killing me
    I am! Pretty colours and experiments oooooh. Haha, jk.

Anyways, can I ask why you chose History over Chemistry? For example, I'm taking English instead of Physics because Physics is not one of the subjects I look forward to (don't hurt me ) ... If you're not sure about Chemistry because you don't like it, then it will be pretty dull if you do do it. If you do like it however, I would consider it. It's my favourite science so no bias or anything.

Choose subjects not just because you're good at them but because you like them enough to actually want to work hard for them. Eg. I'm quite good at geography (not to boast or anything )but can't stand the thought of it at A-level.

Good luck with decision making

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn-to-page394)
    Anyone else and I wouldn't have been as annoyed... It's just Justin Bieber NOOOOOOOOOOO.
    I have an inexplicable hatred for him.
    I like your thinking ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilaclilly14)
    I'm on OCR
    Oh right. I don't know how that board works, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Oh right. I don't know how that board works, sorry.
    That's alright, thank for trying to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathalieGW)
    We had to choose Music, Art or Drama. Didn't you have to choose a creative subject? I think Maths has always been one of my best subjects, I'm quite a logical person

I start my Biology practical next week
    No, we didn't have to. I was very close to taking music though. I completed my grade 5 music theory earlier this year.

I'm pretty good at maths, although I do struggle with the last few questions, particularly on the calculator paper.

Good luck. What are you doing in the practical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathalieGW)
    Awwe why not? Art I'd soo much fun!

I'm also doing Computer Science how are you finding it?
    I can't draw at all I'd literally fail it.
    I really like it, we've done 1 programming task and we've started on some of the theory. I think it's interesting and useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunday_morning)
    No, we didn't have to. I was very close to taking music though. I completed my grade 5 music theory earlier this year.

I'm pretty good at maths, although I do struggle with the last few questions, particularly on the calculator paper.

Good luck. What are you doing in the practical?
    I was on the borderline on whether to take music or art. In the end I took music and I'm so glad I did because it's brought me so far :awesome:

How did you find theory? I like the way they run the exam so you get loads of time and can leave when you want. It'd be nice to have that with GCSEs... :rolleyes:

Sorry to just but in like this

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.