Edexcel A2 C3 Mathematics 12th June 2015 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jemy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
May whatever is out there help us tomorrow. After having had my AS resits this summer, I can safely say that Edexcel might try to rape us all tomorrow morning again.

Oh and prepare your Hitler memes.
TheRaspberry
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jemy)
May whatever is out there help us tomorrow. After having had my AS resits this summer, I can safely say that Edexcel might try to rape us all tomorrow morning again.

Oh and prepare your Hitler memes.
Did you do C2?

Was horrible :P
Bealzibub
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do I need to learn these? Do they come up in papers?

frozo123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by toddmcnugget)
They're just the 1/cos, 1/sin and 1/tan graphs? Unless I've misunderstood your question.
sorry mate I find it hard to imagine what the reciprocals look like
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ridirahman)
What are the other identities like (sin50 = cos40), (cos50=sin40)? are there anymore that we need to know?
It's something like cos(theta)=sin(90-theta) from C2 somewhere.
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by paradoxicalme)
yes you do they can ask you to draw them
and nobody wants to spend five minutes entering individual values on their calculator
Table mode gives you enough to plot with in about 15 seconds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medicjug
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonwinner)
Sure. For these questions I find the easiest way is to find the range of f(x), because the range of f(x) is the exact same as the domain of f^-1 (x) and vice versa.

f(x) = 1/(2x-1) , x > 1/2

Subbing x=1/2 into f(x) will not work because it will get f(x) = 1/0 which produces a 'math error'. So I would suggest subbing in a number slightly bigger than 1/2, for example you could do 0.5000001. If you sub that in you will find that you get a huge number, which suggests that f(x) has no upper limit, so now we need to find the lower limit. To do this, sub a really big number into f(x), for example 500. This will get f(x) = 1/(1000-1) = 0.001001... This suggests that the lower limit is 0.

So the range of f(x) is f(x) > 0 , which means the domain of f^-1 (x) is x>0

It is also useful to draw the graphs so you have an idea of the upper/lower limits
Hey quick question might be silly but if something tends to a number doesn't that mean it doesn't reach it. So if subbing a big number gives you 0.01 how can It tend to zero if it reaches it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jemy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheRaspberry)
Did you do C2?

Was horrible :P
Ironically C2 was the best paper for me at around 58-63 marks in comparison to C1 & S1 which are most likely in the C region.

(Original post by Bealzibub)

I never learned them, my tutor said **** them and to be honest I have never come across a single question on a past paper where I needed them. Yet again you never know how Edexcel might try to surprise us tomorrow after almost 8 years papers...
catrionaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I still don't even understand how to use and apply these formulas
frozo123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by samb1234)
Table mode gives you enough to plot with in about 15 seconds

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish I knew how to use a calculator...
rory58824
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

They come up in the formulae booklet:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...cal-Tables.pdf

Wishing everyone the best of luck tomorrow, hopefully it won't be like the C3 June 2013 paper, that was quite challenging!
Destrian
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I don't remember seeing these at all.

However, if they come up: you don't need to remember those things.

If you use the Sin(x) = cos (90 - x) formula, you can turn these into one of those standard cosP + sinQ = ... questions that makes use of the addition formulae provided in the formula book.

EDIT: oh, apparently those formulae are in the formula book anyway, no need for this then.
AbubakarB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by frozo123)
Anyone got any good methods for learning the sec cosex cot graphs? I know I could work it out on my calculator but don't want time to pass!
Can you accurately draw the sin, cos and tan graphs?

From there everywhere where the graph crosses the x-axis (when y=0) draw an asymptote.

1) for the cosec graph...
every maximum point on the sin graph - draw a happy face lol
every minimum point draw a sad face.

2) same concept with the sec graph

3) the tan graph is a bit trickier to grasp but still the same concept. y=0 ... asmyptote then flip the graph
ThePrestigeUK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lool half angle formula to rape us tomorrow?

I have no idea what they are FFS .. there almost ignored by everyone .. imagine they come up tomorrow might as well pack my bags and emigrate
rachelc142
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Predictions anybody?

I think there will be 9 questions.

I also think the last question will be a really nasty modulus/functions question, where we get given a graph and co-ordinates in terms of a and b, and we have to work them out, or something like that.
My teacher thinks the last question will be a Rsin/Rcos equation with a tricky max/min question.
best of luck to you all!! don't panic, read the questions carefully and calmly.
Pitfak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ridirahman)
What are the other identities like (sin50 = cos40), (cos50=sin40)? are there anymore that we need to know?
sinx=cos(90-x) and cosx=sin(90-x), as long as they add to 90. Y
ou can write for example sin10=cos80
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by frozo123)
I wish I knew how to use a calculator...
Assuming you have Casio. Go to mode, table until you get a f(x)= screen. Type in the function and press =. Then enter the lower bound of the function eg -2π and press = then repeat for the higher bound. At the step screen, enter how often you want it to give you the value eg if you put π/6 it gives you the value every π/6 interval. Press equals again and you'll have points to plot. Note: don't make interval too large or steps too small or it won't be able to work as it has limited amount of space

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bealzibub
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Destrian)
I don't remember seeing these at all.

However, if they come up: you don't need to remember those things.

If you use the Sin(x) = cos (90 - x) formula, you can turn these into one of those standard cosP + sinQ = ... questions that makes use of the addition formulae provided in the formula book.

EDIT: oh, apparently those formulae are in the formula book anyway, no need for this then.
when do you even use them? I dont understand what they are used for
rachelc142
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MrBowcat)
Them asking to draw inverse trig graphs is very very very very very very very very very very very very unlikely.
honestly, at this point, after having 6 ridiculously strange and difficult papers that were unlike any past papers in every subject, I do NOT underestimate any examboard's potential to completely **** with our heads :lol: :lol: :lol: anything really is possible
nayilgervinho
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How many sig fig should I put down for solutions to contextual rcostheta/rsintheta questions.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads