Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay can any of you relate to this: I'm getting quite low scores atm, like I'm not even surpassing the average score, but I'm a pretty good student overall and I've got good results, I've seen people who aren't as intelligent in school getting scores a lot better than mine when practicing, and I just don't get what I'm doing wrong. The average score seems really really difficult to me... Can anyone relate at all or is this just me?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    Would you say a 670 average is ok if I'm applying to Birmingham, Barts and Leicester?
    My GCSEs are 8A*s, 2 Distinction*s and 2As

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    Okay can any of you relate to this: I'm getting quite low scores atm, like I'm not even surpassing the average score, but I'm a pretty good student overall and I've got good results, I've seen people who aren't as intelligent in school getting scores a lot better than mine when practicing, and I just don't get what I'm doing wrong. The average score seems really really difficult to me... Can anyone relate at all or is this just me?
    In my opinion, the ukcat really doesn't correlate to your grades in school. My friend (who consistently gets 2 grades higher than me) has a much lower score than i do. Ukcat challenges your ability to respond in a strict timed setting. If its of any help, i did absoultely terribly in the mock test i attempted. I have a super long post from yesterday with tips cos i just did my test yesterday :-) continue trying hard and don't get demoralised!

ReputationRep:
    I have just started using medify and i tried out some QR... how are these possible given the time frame? even though the questions aren't too difficult there is SO much data to sift through which just eats up time. Anyone have any tips for QR?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    Okay thank you yeah i was wondering because people are saying its so much harder in the real thing but i dont see how the complexity can be much harder if you have practiced enough reading comprehension. thank you for the advice
    I don't think it's necessarily harder, the passages are just apparently much longer as well as the statements

ReputationRep:
    How long do you have until your UKCAT? I'd say if you have time, stop timing yourself for AR and first work on trying to find the patterns before increasing the rate at which you find them. Then time yourself once your comfortable with the concept. With VR you'll have to find the tactic that works best for you so just try questions using all the tactics that people have mentioned and stick with the one that's giving you the highest score. With QR you need to work on guesstimating the hard, time consuming questions and sticking to 40 seconds a questions. My score dramatically increased when I stopped trying to answer hard questions because I then had time to actually finish the section.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Definitely apply for Manchester! They don't look at the overall score you get (they do for medicine but not for dentistry) - they look at what band in SJT you have achieved. They still consider your application if you have band 1, 2 or 3.

This is the link from the UKCAT website:
    http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/upl...T%20Result.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just completed all the medify Mini mocks and got 677 Average, and Band 2 SJ (750 Verbal, 650 Quantitative and 630 Abstract). Got a while yet until my UKCAT and lots more mocks to do but if I do get these scores in the real thing (hopefully not) what unis would I be able to apply to? Would Kings definitely be out? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewishier)
    I didn't do timed practice at the start. I did a set of questions (4-8 at a time) with my phone stopwatch next to me and I tried to do the questions as quickly as I could. After I realised it took me 1 minute to do each question, I set timers for 55s a question, then 50s, then 45s then 40s. Once I could do the majority of sets in less that 50s, my QR went up so much. 40s is the time you get in the actual exam so make sure it do easy questions as quickly as possible so you have time for the harder ones.
    That is a really good idea, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else really struggling with the AR section ? I'm really scared that this one part is gonna bring my whole score down and I'm not gonna be able to go for medicine ! Everything else is okay but I'm still struggling to understand how they think we can do 55 questions in 13 minutes and it takes me about 5 minutes to even think up a possible pattern for each one ! I'm hoping the book is just giving me super hard ones and then the real thing will be easier. Starting to feel like everything I've worked for so far is just gonna go down the drain. The country is struggling to find doctors but for some strange reason they're making it so hard for us. And people who would make great doctors aren't getting places 👎

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any solid, consistent technique for the comprehension VR questions. Its making me go insane!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Hey, just completed all the medify Mini mocks and got 677 Average, and Band 2 SJ (750 Verbal, 650 Quantitative and 630 Abstract). Got a while yet until my UKCAT and lots more mocks to do but if I do get these scores in the real thing (hopefully not) what unis would I be able to apply to? Would Kings definitely be out? :puppyeyes:
    I am getting similar results! Except my AR is my highest and my VR is my lowest. I also want to apply to Kings, they have higher requirements? Cardiff does not prioritize UKCAT, you could apply there.

ReputationRep:
    Are any of you guys going to bother with the Decision Making section?

ReputationRep:
    me, im just going to go in, be postive and what ever i come out with well if its really bad, maybe medicine isnt the right choice for me, i believe everything happens for a reason

ReputationRep:
    erg, u say 'hopefully not' then theres me, if i get those scores i will be over the moon, cuz i struggle

ReputationRep:
    How are people finding the Kaplan online VR quizzes?

ReputationRep:
    That is a really good idea, thanks!
    Have you done medify mock 1?

ReputationRep:
    anyone wanna offer some tips for the abstract reasoning section??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana ice-cream)
    Most people i read
    1. Went to the toilet
    2. Checked numlock, get used to the number keys in preparation for QR
    3. Took a break
    So no, i don't suggest bothering with the decision segment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana ice-cream)
    nah not really... I mean I'll probably answer a few easy questions to relax but mostly, just gonna give myself a little break in that time hehe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.