Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Announcements Posted on

(Original post by ahsan_ijaz)
    Hi thanks,

I predicted a hard chem 4 paper ages ago lol - btw another Q - in AG= AH-TAS expression why is the entropy the one /1000 and not enthalpy as the enthalpy is kj/mol
    Hi can I jump in?

When you calculate entropy change, AS (where A is delta, the triangle) it's in units of J/K/mol

When using AG = AH - TAS:

AG is Gibbs free energy change in kJ/mol
    AH is enthalpy change in kJ/mol
    T is temperature in K
    AS is entropy change in kJ/k/mol

Therefore you have to divide AS (when you calculate it from entropy data only) by 1000 to convert from J/K/mol into kJ/K/mol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolla01)
    Does anyone have a diagram with the colours ions we need to learn for CHEM 5
    https://getrevising.co.uk/resources/...d-observations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    Hi can I jump in?

When you calculate entropy change, AS (where A is delta, the triangle) it's in units of J/K/mol

T is temperature in K

Therefore you have to divide AS (when you calculate it from entropy data only) by 1000 to convert from J/K/mol into kJ/K/mol
    does a reaction become spontaneous when AG is negative or positive?
    Thanks

(Original post by 12284)
    does a reaction become spontaneous when AG is negative or positive?
    Thanks
    Reaction is feasible if AG <= 0

(where <= means less than or equal to)

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any predictions for chem 5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahsan_ijaz)
    Hi thanks,

I predicted a hard chem 4 paper ages ago lol - btw another Q - in AG= AH-TAS expression why is the entropy the one /1000 and not enthalpy as the enthalpy is kj/mol
    My answer is what I think so it might not be right. I can ask my teacher and see what they say about it.

The reason you have to divide it by 1000 is so that it is in KJ mol-1 K-1 and not J mol-1 K-1 (You're converting the Joules into kilo-joules).

Think of it like taking away a measurement that's in metres from a measurement that's in kilometres. Converting both units to kilometres (or both to metres) makes the calculation easier. You could just do it keeping the units in the form they are in, but it will be quite fiddly.

Also it's important to note KJ/Mol is a standard unit so most answers are in this form. Gibbs free energy is usually in KJ/mol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    Hi can I jump in?

T is temperature in K

Just a quick note. ΔS is not measured in J/K/Mol it's measured in J / K mol. Just being a bit of a neat freak here xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faizah007)
    does anyone have any predictions for chem 5?
    You can't really predict what's going to be on the paper (especially since what chem4 was like). Go through all of it. Leave nothing out.

ReputationRep:
    Getting stressed now :///

ReputationRep:
    Will this help?

ReputationRep:
    AQA Revision guide page 95 has a class table

ReputationRep:
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JUN12.PDF

can someone please explain 2(b) to 2(d) for me please

I dont understand how Gibbs free energy change is represented on a graph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    Will this help?

yes thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chzm)
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JUN12.PDF

can someone please explain 2(b) to 2(d) for me please

I dont understand how Gibbs free energy change is represented on a graph
    2(b) The straight line equation y = mx + c can be used to represent the the gibbs free energy equation where y = ΔG, m = -ΔS x = T and c = ΔH. To calculate the gradient you just do the change in y divided by the change in x. So take two points on the line and find the corresponding y an x values and do the same for a second point and do this calculation:

y1 - y2 / x1 - x2

The slope is -ΔS so the units are J K-1 Mol-1

2(d) is understanding that the rate of change of entropy changes for an element in it's different states. If the rate of change of entropy has changed then the slope (gradient) of your line has changed. So the ammonia has turned to liquid as the temperature is going lower.

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know all the reactions of the different cells in the nelson thornes book in the redox equilibria chapter?

ReputationRep:
    If I said 'reactants' instead of 'reagents' would I lose a mark??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahreads)
    Do we need to know all the reactions of the different cells in the nelson thornes book in the redox equilibria chapter?
    Only the hudrogen fuel cell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    If I said 'reactants' instead of 'reagents' would I lose a mark??
    No, they are synonymous.

What context are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    No, they are synonymous.

What context are you talking about?
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JUN11.PDF

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN11.PDF

5fi and 5fiii (thank you btw )

ReputationRep:
    No problem

Unless the examiner is a Vietnamese child marking your paper (which I wouldn't put past AQA), they will accept both 'reagents' and 'reactants' as synonymous.

Besides, my chem teacher (and I think many others) refer to 'reagents' and not 'reactants'.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.