ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerplexingGeode)
    Oh dear, you were only receiving an hour of laptop usage on battery, with the original Acer Aspire battery? Is below an hour on battery, the threshold whereby Windows highlights it in an alert? Yes, using laptops on batteries - everyday or every other day, only results in the battery capacity dwindling, so it is best to keep the laptop on mains, charging and discharging the battery occasionally, to ensure that the battery remains calibrated, as you have informed me in the past? Therefore, is it a case of the more you have the laptop on mains, the higher the battery capacity will remain and therefore an increased longevity of the aforementioned battery? Please correct me if I am incorrect!

Goodness, the Acer Aspire must be frustrating to use when throttling; I remember the vast number of occasions - whereby you have had to shut the laptop down for a few minutes, subsequently enabling the laptop to regain stability with regards to the temperatures.

Yes, I was only getting 1 hour of use, in the last few months of using the Acer battery, though originally, it would have been 2-3 hours (and I regularly got 2.5 hours, even on Balanced - though I'd have likely got longer on power saving mode). The threshold level is not actually to do with time, but to do with capacity.
    If the capacity of the battery, in mAh, is 40% or less of the designed capacity of the battery when new, then Windows will tell you to replace your battery. So, for example, the original Acer battery was 4400mAh when new. At 40% capacity, the battery would hold 1760mAh of capacity. So if the total charge, at 100% charge, was 1760mAh or less, Windows would tell you to consider replacing your battery.The best bet is to use your laptop on mains for most of the time, then use battery power when required - remembering to do a full discharge (down to 5%) and then a full recharge every so often. Using the laptop predominantly on mains, followed by predominantly on battery for a few months, is likely to damage the battery as well. It's all about the amount of discharge cycles on the battery - the more you use the battery, the less it will hold the next time.
    Using the laptop on mains more often will result in less battery use, and more battery longevity. But what is also important is what you do with your laptop whilst on battery power - high intensity tasks whilst on battery is a good way to damage the battery quite quickly.

Yes, it is - when CPU throttling, everything slows down quite considerably, and if the temperatures don't go down, then yes you do have to either end what you are doing, or put the laptop onto standby so that it doesn't hit 105'C. That will never happen with the HP, as the most I've ever seen on it is 76'C!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerplexingGeode)
    The signal in your area must be fantastic if you live only a few hundred meters from the local phone masts! I find the Apple App store to have its various limitations, however; at times, the same applies to Android, albeit to a lesser extent. I too, would not purchase an app of that price! However, I have previously bought apps on the Google Play store, such as 'Skelly - Poseable Anatomy Model for Artists', which was a reasonable price and I must admit, it is a useful tool to use in conjunction with anatomy books when drawing anatomical sketches and drawings on an artistic basis.

Yes, I concur with that, a 3.5mm jack is paramount - I too, would rather have an Android phone over an iPhone, however - anything has to be superior to the Lumia 520, which has Windows with a tile user interface!

:moon:

It is - I can get a full 3G signal upstairs, and quite a strong 3G signal downstairs - and 4G is very strong too; 3 bars upstairs and 2 bars downstairs. (It is harder to get 4 bars signal on 4G.)
    I haven't used the Apple App Store, since I do not have any iOS devices. The only reason why I have the Apple Store is for iTunes, so that I can buy various songs when required.
    I don't think I have ever gone for a paid app on the Google Play Store - I always find a free alternative - for example, the one that is ad supported, rather than paid and no ads. because, if I don't like an app, then I won't get a refund...

I will NEVER buy any device that doesn't have a 3.5mm jack - even my Packard Bell Pulse MP3 player, that must be close to a decade old, has a 3.5mm output! No 3.5mm jack means no purchase; I'd rather have the Lumia 520 than the iPhone 7, since at least the Lumia 520 lets you listen to music. Though I must admit, most Windows Phones are pretty dire! Forget the tile interface - we had enough of that with Windows 8!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediaya)
    Hello! Been a long time i havent posted here

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Mediaya!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.