Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    He's over-rated IMO. He's just extremely quick, once he has to actually cross the ball the deliveries aren't really that good.
    Of late hes been performing well for Spurs and pace is something defenders hate and he has it in abundance. I agree his deliveries can be somewhat frustrating but when hes playing well theres not many full backs that can stop him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Explosions In The Sky)
    worst thing about the squad = no Aaron lennon
    Not so bad. He's got ages to prove himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    i'm glad Agbonlahor has finally been called up, though i would have liked a little better mix up front, bring in someone else new (perhaps Walcott?).

And i think the decision not to have Beckham for now was the right one, all things being considered.
    I'm guessing you haven't seen him play this season. Walcott is lucky to be in the U21s IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    I'm guessing you haven't seen him play this season. Walcott is lucky to be in the U21s IMO.
    Lol, was meant to be a joke :p: (considering he has been in the England side before and all).

ReputationRep:
    Of late hes been performing well for Spurs and pace is something defenders hate and he has it in abundance. I agree his deliveries can be somewhat frustrating but when hes playing well theres not many full backs that can stop him.
    He was crap yesterday against us. Valente had him in his back pocket all night. Only time when he had some joy (very little of it) was when we had to push on, leaving him largely unmarked or when we made a mistake.

Anyway, he has plenty of time to improve, has lots to learn and will no doubt be in numerous future England squads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnboy91)
    He was crap yesterday against us. Valente had him in his back pocket all night. Only time when he had some joy (very little of it) was when we had to push on, leaving him largely unmarked or when we made a mistake.

Anyway, he has plenty of time to improve, has lots to learn and will no doubt be in numerous future England squads.
    I said when hes playing well

He had an off day though to be fair that match was lacking any quality and nobody really performed from what i saw.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just personally happy too see Capello choosing the players that have been playing....and playing well for there club. Although Crouch has been included which sort of disagrees but his previous record for England shows itself.

ReputationRep:
    I would have had Ashton and Lennon in the squad, probably for Heskey and SWP. Apart from that I dont see much wrong with it.

(Original post by Juwel)
    Scott Carson: chance to redeem yourself, lad. His part in Aston Villa's success should not go unnoticed for one mistake.
    David James: will be pushing 40 by South Africa 2010. Why bother? Give someone a chance to earn and own the number one jersey like Peter Shilton, Gordon Banks and David Seaman have done. Enough stopgaps.
    Chris Kirkland: not Robert Green, influential in ensuring West Ham's safety? I was a huge fan of his at Liverpool, impressed by his bravery. These days he gets injured too often, and to not pick Green over him out of three England goalies?
    Shilton played for England when he was 40. I dont see why James can't do the same. Goalkeepers mature with age and he is playing better than he has ever done. Hes in great shape and is the best keeper, by a distance, we have at our disposal. I dont see why he shouldn't get picked :cool:

How can you say you were a fan of Kirkland at Liverpool yet he gets injured too often now. He was surely more injury prone at Liverpool? :confused: He played 25 games in 5 seasons at Liverpool. Hes actually only missed one league game for Wigan this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    My 1st Team:

James
    Richards Ferdinand King Cole
    Bentley Gerrard Hargreaves Cole
    Rooney Owen

2nd:

Carson
    Brown Woodgate Lescott Bridge
    SWP Carrick Barry Young
    Agbonlahor Crouch
    Would replace Bridge with Cole. How can you put Cole ahead of Bridge when Bridge is a lot better than him? If you want A Cole you can put him on the same side as Bridge and move J Cole on the other, as has happened three times at Chelsea. Also, I'm not sure SWP will be playing on the wing for England these days.

ReputationRep:
    I said when hes playing well

He had an off day though to be fair that match was lacking any quality and nobody really performed from what i saw.
    Your point being what? You said when he plays well, I said he never against us, partly because Valente didn't let him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    I would have had Ashton and Lennon in the squad, probably for Heskey and SWP. Apart from that I dont see much wrong with it.

Shilton played for England when he was 40. I dont see why James can't do the same. Goalkeepers mature with age and he is playing better than he has ever done. Hes in great shape and is the best keeper, by a distance, we have at our disposal. I dont see why he shouldn't get picked :cool:

How can you say you were a fan of Kirkland at Liverpool yet he gets injured too often now. He was surely more injury prone at Liverpool? :confused: He played 25 games in 5 seasons at Liverpool. Hes actually only missed one league game for Wigan this season.
    Thing is, Shilton had cemented his place in the team and played for England for some twenty years. James has never enjoyed such certainty in the team. I completely agree that he's the best option right now. I would just like for someone to establish their place in the team and offer stability and familiarity to the team from the back, that Shilton and Seaman were able to do. We have young goalkeepers able to play for England for a whole decade, and I believe we should give each the chance to take up this mantle. And why not now, when there's no immediacy of a tournament to face?

As for Kirkland, I was impressed with his promise is what I meant. He's not been able to realise that with his injury troubles even at Liverpool. He could've established himself over Jerzy Dudek, maybe there'd have been no Jose Reina. While I am still of the opinion that he's a capable goalkeeper, still a fan of his bravery, I just think his continuing struggles with injury have quite reduced his potential and ability to go on to become one of the greats, and maybe it's time for Scott Carson and eventually Ben Foster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Would replace Bridge with Cole. How can you put Cole ahead of Bridge when Bridge is a lot better than him? If you want A Cole you can put him on the same side as Bridge and move J Cole on the other, as has happened three times at Chelsea. Also, I'm not sure SWP will be playing on the wing for England these days.
    Mm, and Wayne Bridge is currently in favour at the Bridge. Chelsea were really impressive in getting their full backs exceptionally high up the pitch against Reading.

Can Capello justify Beckham's exclusion with the claim that he isn't getting matches, then include Cole?

ReputationRep:
    Your point being what? You said when he plays well, I said he never against us, partly because Valente didn't let him.
    My point is that when he's paying well not many full backs can stop him. You said Valente had him in his back pocket. Well he did in a sense but thats not down to Valente's outstanding play, Lennon just didn't show up that day. Your making it out that Lennon played crap due to Valentes play which simply isn't true. i don't know why your fixating on that one game. My statement was quite simple and just because Lennon didn't play well in one game doesn't disprove my statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    Can Capello justify Beckham's inclusion with the claim that he isn't getting matches, then include Cole?
    Not in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    My point is that when he's paying well not many full backs can stop him. You said Valente had him in his back pocket. Well he did in a sense but thats not down to Valente's outstanding play, Lennon just didn't show up that day. Your making it out that Lennon played crap due to Valentes play which simply isn't true. i don't know why your fixating on that one game. My statement was quite simple and just because Lennon didn't play well in one game doesn't disprove my statement.
    I nver said it was down to "his fantastic play". I said partly down to him defending well, not like he's a bad defender. Fixating? It was the last time I had seen him play and so it was fresh in my mind. I never said anything about him being a crap player, just against us. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I nver said it was down to "his fantastic play". I said partly down to him defending well, not like he's a bad defender.
    My point is that when he's paying well not many full backs can stop him. You said Valente had him in his back pocket. Well he did in a sense but thats not down to Valente's outstanding play, Lennon just didn't show up that day. Your making it out that Lennon played crap due to Valente's play which simply isn't true. i don't know why your fixating on that one game. My statement was quite simple and just because Lennon didn't play well in one game doesn't disprove my statement.
    That is me repeating what you said. I never said that you said it was down to 'his fantastic play' that was a statement i made, well i actually said 'outstanding play'. I watched quite a bit of that match and from what I saw Lennon just simply made the wrong choices rather then Valente pressurizing him or anything like that in fact Valente backed off quite a bit a Lennon just didn't make full use of that.

Fixating? It was the last time I had seen him play and so it was fresh in my mind.
    The reason i said your fixating on it is because you continue to use just one example. The Everton vs Spurs match. Its like me saying Arsenal are rubbish when they lost 5-1 to spurs and continue to use that to back up my point when its clear that they are not. My statement was when hes playing well not many full backs can stop him. If you wish to disagree by all means do so but don't use the same match to illustrate your points.

I never said anything about him being a crap player, just against us. :rolleyes:
    Once again, i never said that you said he was a crap player. I'm not denying he played crap again Everton i agree but i disagree when you say Valente had him in his back pocket as it implies that it was down to Valente playing defensively well. I've repeated countless times yet you still don't get it so my point: Lennon when playing well would beat most full backs due to his pace. Even Evra last weekend struggled to keep up with him. Why not try looking at this objectively? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As for Kirkland, I was impressed with his promise is what I meant. He's not been able to realise that with his injury troubles even at Liverpool.
    He's the most over rated player to have played in England in the last 10 years IMO. Yes he had injury problems when he was with us but when he played he had a horrible tendency of letting in soft goals and being too slow on his feet

ReputationRep:
    FFS, Lennon could give most players a hard time when he's playing well. He simply never against Everton. My point was that. Valente played well, even if that was down to Lennon not playing at his best. Lennon still could've got the better in a couple of one on ones- he never did though.

Edit: And I wasn't trying to illustrate a ****ing point, it was a one of statement about the match and how he performed in said match, because that was the topic. Jesus...

ReputationRep:
    FFS, Lennon could give most players a hard time when he's playing well. He simply never against Everton. My point was that. Valente played well, even if that was down to Lennon not playing at his best. Lennon still could've got the better in a couple of one on ones- he never did though.

Edit: And I wasn't trying to illustrate a ****ing point, it was a one of statement about the match and how he performed in said match, because that was the topic. Jesus...
    Calm down there laddy, was a debate.

No need to start swearing. I'm not going to bother answering that as you haven't really bothered to read my points, or you have but chosen to ignore them. Good day

ReputationRep:
    A debate regarding what? Whether Lennon is good? I agreed...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.