Turn on thread page Beta

The unpatriotism of TSR is astounding watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Why should I take pride in achievements that are not mine? Why should I elevate the achievements of people who, by an accident of birth, are the same nationality as me compared to foreigners in my esteem?
    :facepalm2:

Firstly patriotism isn't national pride. Secondly British pride means have a proper sense of value and dignity in Britain, not a sense of accomplishment in what others have done.
    Maybe you should take pride in yourself and learn the English language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt608)
    People can still play games against each other.
    would not be the same!!
    do you really think you can get croud like there was in Beijing if that wasn't a country competition...NOPE!!!

pk maby you could say in football yes, but whata bout less known sports!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    :facepalm2:

Firstly patriotism isn't national pride. Secondly British pride means have a proper sense of value and dignity in Britain, not a sense of accomplishment in what others have done.
    Maybe you should take pride in yourself and learn the English language.
    My command of the English language is considerably better than yours, I'd wager.

The OP, in her first post, equated patriotism with being "proud of your country", I'm inclined, therefore, to deal with that. So, if we're not talking about what Brits have done, how else are we dealing with Britain? As a piece of land divided arbitrarily by borders? As a collection of people? As a government? Come on, I'm an individual who is happy to live here, that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    would not be the same!!
    do you really think you can get croud like there was in Beijing if that wasn't a country competition...NOPE!!!

pk maby you could say in football yes, but whata bout less known sports!!
    Ok, it wouldn't be the same.

But are you seriously suggesting it's better to (attempt to) keep the world from advancing and improving for the sake of a few sports tournaments?

A world without countries - a united world, means all citizens would be equal. No exploitation of nations for their natural resources, we would all be working togethor.

Of course it wouldn't be perfect, but lots of good things would come from a truly united global society.... but we will have to re-name sporting events, so it clearly isn't worth it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    people lack backbone. multiculturalism is such a brief part of our history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander Tomaszewski)
    people lack backbone. multiculturalism is such a brief part of our history.
    There has always been more than one culture in this country for as long as it has existed, we're not all one homogeneous group.

ReputationRep:
    My command of the English language is considerably better than yours, I'd wager.

The OP, in her first post, equated patriotism with being "proud of your country", I'm inclined, therefore, to deal with that. So, if we're not talking about what Brits have done, how else are we dealing with Britain? As a piece of land divided arbitrarily by borders? As a collection of people? As a government? Come on, I'm an individual who is happy to live here, that's it.
    I don't give a **** who you are, and since when was I arguing about OPs definition of Britain? I think it is pretty obvious and a very common way people use the word. I was tlaking about you being misinterpreting op beacuse you can understand simple English.

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a **** who you are, and since when was I arguing about OPs definition of Britain? I think it is pretty obvious and a very common way people use the word. I was tlaking about you being misinterpreting op beacuse you can understand simple English.
    Right. After this jumble you can't ever pull me up on my English again. Irony overload.

And I didn't misinterpret the OP, clearly her core idea was "[being] proud of your country". And of course, what constitutes pride will different for individuals. And "Britain" has many aspects to it so we have to be clear which part we're taking pride in, surely?

ReputationRep:
    Right. After this jumble you can't ever pull me up on my English again. Irony overload.

And I didn't misinterpret the OP, clearly her core idea was "[being] proud of your country". And of course, what constitutes pride will different for individuals. And "Britain" has many aspects to it so we have to be clear which part we're taking pride in, surely?
    Sure you go and debate that, to anyone with brain the meaning is obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Sure you go and debate that, to anyone with brain the meaning is obvious.
    Why are you proud of being British, then, and I'll see if I can comprehend this strange concept?

You might want to wait 'til you sober up, right enough, so I can make sense of it.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you proud of being British, then, and I'll see if I can comprehend this strange concept?

You might want to wait 'til you sober up, right enough, so I can make sense of it.
    It means realisation of value and dignity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not patriotic, and not proud of my country. I'm not unproud, but I mean that I see the country I live in as a bit of an artificial distinction. I think that kind of view can often lead to hatred of other cultures (not with everyone, of course), and that if we just accepted each other as humans, rather than as members of different countries, things might be different. But then I am an optimist.

And also, I would never be proud of my country just because I was born there - it has to give me a reason to be proud.

ReputationRep:
    Im proud of my British Heritage (yes, in capitals!), im proud of our armed forces and the work they do, i like England, i love its countryside, i love its winters.

I concur - i am not proud of chavs, i am not proud that the South African police superintendant was quoted as saying they've built special cells in the stadium to deal with british yobs, im not proud of benefit fraudsters, or declining social standards. Im not proud of kids swearing in the street, littering, spitting and being disrespectful to the elderly. Oh, and anyone who steals from the elderly should be, by law, publicly flogged. Im not proud of the fact that political campaigns can be run with the phrase 'British jobs for British people' - the jobs are there, Brits just don't want to work minimum wage jobs picking lettuce. Im not proud of the fact that the BNP are on the rise, they are a bunch of raving loonies, racist homophobic neo nazi's legislating on the fringe.

But im still proud to be British.

PS. I have a horse, i gallivant around the countryside, ive got a place to study law. I do my best to insulate myself from the things that annoy me, lest i become and insufferable prig.

ReputationRep:
    You've used that same definition, using the same terms, three times now. Do you not know the meaning yourself, and why can you not declare your reasons for pride in Britain?

ReputationRep:
    You've used that same definition, using the same terms, three times now. Do you not know the meaning yourself, and why can you not declare your reasons for pride in Britain?
    My reasoning is that it is a good country to live in and is valuble both now and historically.

ReputationRep:
    Of yourself, not your country, it would seem. It is a very personal feeling:

1. A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.
    2. Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association: parental pride.
    3. Arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.
    1. A cause or source of pleasure or satisfaction; the best of a group or class: These soldiers were their country's pride.
    2. The most successful or thriving condition; prime: the pride of youth.
    5. An excessively high opinion of oneself; conceit.
    6. Mettle or spirit in horses.
    7. A company of lions. See synonims at flock1.
    8. A flamboyant or impressive group: a pride of acrobats.

ReputationRep:
    My reasoning is that it is a good country to live in and is valuble both now and historically.
    Cool, see above :top:

I'm glad I live here, for what it provides me with and for the culture I experience in its various (and varying) regions. To say I take pride in it would seem somewhat alien to me, though- I didn't do anything to end up here and I didn't play any part in shaping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillybeans)
    I posted a thread before and people actually said, I kid you not, that it is silly to be proud of your country.

Perhaps it is this attitude that is dragging Britain slowly down world rankings. I think the reason America is the world's only remaining superpower (I have US citizenship on my mother's side) is because of the fierce patriotism shown by its countrymen. Unlike here where people act as though flying a flag is supporting the BNP.
    patriotism is another disease of humankind. it could be likened to racism etc... i feel sick when people say i love my country etc...

patriotism is completely unfounded and creates worldwide segregation.

open your ******* eyes you ******* morons

ReputationRep:
    Why shouldnt i be able to fly a flag of england but the americans pledge their allegance in school everyday? theres nothing wrong with having english or british pride, for such a small country we are extremely powerful. i dont give a flying monkeys ass how much better any other countries are. i was born english and i will remain english. be proud of what you are and stop complaining.
    All the haters can **** off and move to the shanty towns of third world countries and see how they like it. end of.

ReputationRep:
    'Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel' Samuel Johnson

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.