Turn on thread page Beta

Americans! - Where did you get in and with what grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your offers! I haven't even submitted my UCAS app! haha

Do you think that Unis would mind if I dropped an AP English class halfway through the year if I'm not applying for an English course? I mean, if I got an unconditional offer, would it matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carolina92)
    Have you decided you're going to Edinburgh for sure, or are you still hoping to hear from another uni?
    I´m still hoping for the others. Edinburgh is a great school but I´m applying to colleges like Princeton and Harvard back home so it would be silly not to wait for their answer.

Have you accepted your offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brazilianrocker)
    I´m still hoping for the others. Edinburgh is a great school but I´m applying to colleges like Princeton and Harvard back home so it would be silly not to wait for their answer.

Have you accepted your offer?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from George Washington University, but I'm leaning towards Edinburgh because I hate the thought of having to fufill all those general ed requirements. Plus Edinburgh wouldn't know if my grades slipped a little my senior year. I'm probably not going to accept their offer for a few months.

And CluelessAmerican, they would never know, unless they asked for your transcripts.

ReputationRep:
    ^Congrats on getting an offer from Edinburgh! I read that they have 4 year degrees unlike English universities so that sort of put me off, not because i mind studying for an extra year, it's just the prospect of paying for one. :/ Do some people finish in 3 years, you think? Or does everyone do a 4 year degree?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I was put off by that too (for the same reason) but then I did some more research and my course requires that you spend the third year in a German-speaking country. You wouldn't have to pay tuition this year, just like a 2000 pound fee. I read that I would also graduate with a Master of the Arts degree (does anyone know about this?) so that makes the cost hurt a little less as well lol.

ReputationRep:
    so that makes the cost hurt a little less
    Makes the cost hurt less? Youre paying $18,000 a year for a world class university. You can´t get those prices at a decent state school in the US. For a comparably ranked uni you wouldnt be paying less than 45,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brazilianrocker)
    Makes the cost hurt less? Youre paying $18,000 a year for a world class university. You can´t get those prices at a decent state school in the US. For a comparably ranked uni you wouldnt be paying less than 45,000.
    I know, but I would also be getting a nice financial aid package from private schools in the US, and I have already been offered presidential scholarships valued around $48k from two universities in my state. Also, all the state schools in NC (including Chapel Hill) are less than $6k a year. I realize it's an excellent value, but I'll be paying for my degree myself and compared to what I would be probably be paying in the states, it's not exactly cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but I would also be getting a nice financial aid package from private schools in the US, and I have already been offered presidential scholarships valued around $48k from two universities in my state. Also, all the state schools in NC (including Chapel Hill) are less than $6k a year. I realize it's an excellent value, but I'll be paying for my degree myself and compared to what I would be probably be paying in the states, it's not exactly cheap.
    Same here with my in-state (well in-state tuition for me would be ~9,000). UNC Chapel Hill is amazing, especially for that price, so I can see where you're coming from on the money issue.

For me, going to most US schools, especially private or OOS is going to leave me with a lot of debt after I graduate. So, yes, $18,000 a year is a wonderful value, but I'd also have to consider adding room/board+travel+books+personal unfortunately. http://www.scholarships.ed.ac.uk/usloans/costs.htm

ReputationRep:
    I really liked Chapel Hill, but apparently they rarely accept out-of-state students. But I mean I've had this conversation/argument with my parents, and I think in the end, UK universities are much cheaper. I mean for state schools in California, UC's are like 10k and rising, AND courses for some majors are so impacted that the average student would probably end up graduating in 5 years.
    By the way, does anyone else have a hard time convincing their parents to let them study in a different country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromelon)
    ^Congrats on getting an offer from Edinburgh! I read that they have 4 year degrees unlike English universities so that sort of put me off, not because i mind studying for an extra year, it's just the prospect of paying for one. :/ Do some people finish in 3 years, you think? Or does everyone do a 4 year degree?
    You can only graduate in three years from a Scottish university if you are doing a science/maths degree. You cannot do direct entry for humanities.

Thank you! I was put off by that too (for the same reason) but then I did some more research and my course requires that you spend the third year in a German-speaking country. You wouldn't have to pay tuition this year, just like a 2000 pound fee. I read that I would also graduate with a Master of the Arts degree (does anyone know about this?) so that makes the cost hurt a little less as well lol.
    I'm pretty sure that as an international student (i.e. non-EU) you won't get the Erasmus fee-waiver, and you'll still have to pay tuition. I'm not entirely certain, though.

Also, an MA in Scotland is just a regular undergraduate degree, the equivalent of an English BA. The ancient universities just happen to call their undergraduate arts degrees MAs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmyish)
    By the way, does anyone else have a hard time convincing their parents to let them study in a different country?
    My parents are practically pushing me out the door. However that may be because we used to live in Europe and the fact that both of my parents lived outside of the US for a very long period of time.

I hear you about the OOS thing. I'd love to go to my dad's alma mater but OOS tuition + the competitiveness in Cali for out of state is just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the clarification Rainfaery. I checked the study abroad fees again though, and for 09/10 it's 1285 pounds for non-EU students. And Kimmyish, my parents are actually supportive. Probably because I spent several months in Germany in eleventh grade.

ReputationRep:
    Also, all the state schools in NC (including Chapel Hill) are less than $6k a year.
    (Original post by maromelon)
    (well in-state tuition for me would be ~9,000)
    Wow that is quite inexpensive. I just assumed state schools were more expensive than that. I do know though that if you´re shooting for ivy league or equivalent youll be paying in the 40 to 50K range, which for me after financial aid would probably be 25-35K. So the UK is much cheaper.

and in terms of my parents, they're worried but supportive. I think they're more concerned though that no one in the US is going to respect the UK university that I get my degree from (for example, no american I have ever met has even heard of UCL).

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Edinburgh and Durham for History. Congrats to thos who got Edinburgh offers...I still need to finish my UCAS. I'm applying with the aspect that I'll have my Associate's Degree for History this year so hopefully it'll help me get an offer. I have a 3.95 GPA after two semesters and I'm doing pretty well this one. Is anyone else trying for history at Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerteeth)
    I'm applying to Edinburgh and Durham for History. Congrats to thos who got Edinburgh offers...I still need to finish my UCAS. I'm applying with the aspect that I'll have my Associate's Degree for History this year so hopefully it'll help me get an offer. I have a 3.95 GPA after two semesters and I'm doing pretty well this one. Is anyone else trying for history at Edinburgh?
    I'm applying for History (and Arabic) at Edinburgh. Are you applying for postgrad (as you'll have your Associate's)? I'm a future undergraduate. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tzareenah)
    I'm applying for History (and Arabic) at Edinburgh. Are you applying for postgrad (as you'll have your Associate's)? I'm a future undergraduate. Good luck!
    I wish haha. They only take an Associates as qualification for entry so I'll be first year undergraduate if I end up going. I know I want to do a combined degree but I haven't decided which one I'd want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerteeth)
    I wish haha. They only take an Associates as qualification for entry so I'll be first year undergraduate if I end up going. I know I want to do a combined degree but I haven't decided which one I'd want to do
    Ah, so this is probably a stupid question, but how many years did it take to get your Associates?

I actually want to do like 5 degrees XD I'm interested in a lot of stuff...but I narrowed it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tzareenah)
    Ah, so this is probably a stupid question, but how many years did it take to get your Associates?

I actually want to do like 5 degrees XD I'm interested in a lot of stuff...but I narrowed it down.
    I know this wasn't directed at me, but generally an associates degree takes two years to finish

ReputationRep:
    lol im surprised at all the interest in Edinburgh here. Almost all the Americans are applying there.

ReputationRep:
    I meant to, and after visiting Edinburgh discovered the city is just ******* gorgeous. However, upon learning I'd have to do another year for the course, and learning of the lack of a campus at all, I decided it wasn't really to my liking. Obviously different strokes for.. well, ya. It's too far from London for my liking, as London has my heart..

But the city itself is one of the most beautiful places I've ever, ever been. Just plain breathtaking.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.