Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Okay, this is a continuation of that other thread:

People who go to private schools; aren't you embarrassed to not be getting AAAA?

If my parents were paying £15,000 a year, they'd expect decent grades tbh. How thick do you have to be to fail when you've got so much thrown at you?

I mean honestly, I can't believe how much money it costs (according to you guys anyway).

Edit: Uh, I really don't care. Stop quoting me.
    Whilst your assertion is worded in kind of a harsh way I do completely agree with you. At my school there were tons of people that just coasted along and did no work and didn't appreciate the value of what their parents were throwing at them and consequently got really mediocre results. It's sick to be honest.

But I always worked hard regardless of whether it was a private education or not and got the grades you mention. It's not always about the money invested in the education it's a kind of equilibrium. If you're hard working by nature and have the benefit of a private education then you'll obviously do very well.

(Original post by deleted)
    I actually want to know what people think about private schools now, can we quit the rubbish between actual posts relating to the thread? Please? Some people are actually making good points but they're getting lost in the other pointless stuff!!
    Your mum is pointless...

But I do agree. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabbamuffin)
    Your mum is pointless...

But I do agree. :yy:

:mad: .....but.......:yes:

Quite a lot of people seem to think that grades are the most important thing in the world to be getting from school, which is all well and good if you're well adjusted and good at academic work but what about if you have specific learning needs, good at things other than academics and need some help in adjusting?

ReputationRep:
    Also - a lot of stupid people go to private schools. Yes it's unfortunate and unfair but it's the 'tragedy' of capitalism and democracy - that is the freedom to do what you want with your income and choose the educational destinies of your children in a way.

Not to mention as has already been discussed by other posters that it's not all about grades. Private schools nearly always have superior facilities and teacher-student contact time which leads to greater emotional and extra-curricular development.

I guess.

I went to a state school, worked really hard and didn't get the grades I wanted.

Sort of forced to go to a private place, as my school won't help me with re-sits, and neither will any of the other local state schools.

I get there and the teaching is fantastic, naturally due to the school being able to afford the best, but the best thing is the one on one attention you get. I've been told so many things that were 'basic knowledge' for the exams that I'm doing that my old school didn't ever mention...

So yeah I'd be (and my parents would be) pretty pissed if I don't come out of it with the grades I want, but I wouldn't be able to get the grades if I didn't do all the work I was set by them and take in what they say. There are a few kids at this school with piss poor grades, because either they're stupid anyway or they're refusing to help themselves on top of the great help they're already getting.

It really does depend, on how much work you're willing to put in and how intelligent/hardworking you are anyway, but I personally would feel ridiculous to waste such a good opportunity to be taught by people who 1) know and 2) love the subjects they teach.

'Stupid people' :rofl:

Yeah some people who go to Private Schools either don't want to learn or struggle to, it's no different to a state school in that respect. Although, a larger percentage do seem to achieve the higher grades, which kind of answers your original post, Bubbles. There are bound to be certain individuals who struggle or can't be bothered with school, and the payment has nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Okay, this is a continuation of that other thread:

People who go to private schools; aren't you embarrassed to not be getting AAAA?

If my parents were paying £15,000 a year, they'd expect decent grades tbh. How thick do you have to be to fail when you've got so much thrown at you?

I mean honestly, I can't believe how much money it costs (according to you guys anyway).

Edit: Uh, I really don't care. Stop quoting me.
    let me ask you this question Bubbles. what if someone who went to private school did nothing up to GCSE, got poor grades, then shone tremendously at A Level and got into Oxbridge with an unconditional offer?

compare that to someone who worked really hard, got outstanding grades, but only got to a much lower university because they had a not so good personal statement and they were poor at interviews?

sixth form is what really determines where we end up. school is just a platform for later life, so if the person who gets amazing grades can't get into a great university, but the person with academic potential who hardly tried for most of the time got into Oxbridge, it's hard to say who's wasted their private education. some people who go to private schools are naturally clever, whereas others will work hard but lack certain qualities to get into Oxbridge to gain a perfect platform for later life.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Crap state schools ftw =D

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I went to state school after reading some of the comments from private school students on here. So thank you guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    I'm glad I went to state school after reading some of the comments from private school students on here. So thank you guys
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    I wouldn't form an opinion on private schools because of a few people on tsr, that's just silly

ReputationRep:
    you want to know the ironic thing ?
    the good thing about my 16k a year private school is we dont have snobbish unaware pansies like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    Agreed, the private school people have shown themselves to be the stuck up snobs they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toblerone99)
    Agreed, the private school people have shown themselves to be the stuck up snobs they are.
    Don't stereotype those who go to a private school as snobs cause it is just a stupid assumption. We aren't stuck up we are normal people with a normal attitude to life!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atherilia)
    Don't stereotype those who go to a private school as snobs cause it is just a stupid assumption. We aren't stuck up we are normal people with a normal attitude to life!:mad:
    Reading through this thread suggests otherwise......although obviously there are "normal" people at private schools, there are also those who think that us "scum" at state schools should shut up and grovel as their rich daddies pay for our education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atherilia)
    My thoughts exactly.

(I'm state schooled) :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Reading through this thread suggests otherwise......although obviously there are "normal" people at private schools, there are also those who think that us "scum" at state schools should shut up and grovel as their rich daddies pay for our education.
    That is a minute minority and the way you said it sounded like you were stereotyping, don't because it is undeserved and unjust!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who sees grades as the purpose of school will fail at life.

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit harsh. No one at my school thinks ANYTHING like that. To be fair, there are an alarming number who are under the impression that state school pupils are all ASBO-wielding chavs (I know that's not true in the slightest), I'll give you that... but no one thinks what you suggested. A majority of the people at my school do realise they are fortunate.

Anyway, this thread was pretty awesome, but it has kinda fallen into state pupils vs. private pupils a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Bear)
    Anyone who sees grades as the purpose of school will fail at life.
    If we substitute 'grades' with 'reps' and 'school' with 'TSR', does this statement still hold? :p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.