Australian Open Final: Murray v Federer- Official Thread Watch

Ultimate1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by GibbseyT)
Im Gutted. I was quite hopeful he might win his first grandslam. Maybe next time eh?
Don't wait mate, its more likely for England to win the world cup than Murray to win a GS with Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Potro injured. :rolleyes:
GibbseyT
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ultimate1)
Don't wait mate, its more likely for England to win the world cup than Murray to win a GS with Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Potro injured. :rolleyes:
Haha quite true, but I can be hopeful, He's the best we've got.
Ultimate1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So wheres all the Murray supporters? Yes he got thumped this and hopefully Arsenal winning will make my day today!
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So wheres all the Murray supporters? Yes he got thumped this and hopefully Arsenal winning will make my day today!
We have better things to do than recycle tired arguments.
Ultimate1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
We have better things to do than recycle tired arguments.
Or maybe every Murray fan has realised the truth? :p:
claireythepinkfairy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:facepalm: Just give it up mate, really.
nasmith3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The truth about what? Out of a draw of 128 Murray made the final two. I don't know about you but I think that's a fantastic achievement, especially considering he was the only British representative in the men's draw. Overall it was an encouraging start to a season, in which I am still confident that Murray can win his first grand slam
Ultimate1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nasmith3)
The truth about what? Out of a draw of 128 Murray made the final two. I don't know about you but I think that's a fantastic achievement, especially considering he was the only British representative in the men's draw. Overall it was an encouraging start to a season, in which I am still confident that Murray can win his first grand slam
Oh so this is what its come down to. Comparing Murray to 128 players where only about 10-15 players are actually decent enough, the rest just fillers.
DaveJ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh so this is what its come down to. Comparing Murray to 128 players where only about 10-15 players are actually decent enough, the rest just fillers.
Well Murray was 2nd best out of those "10-15 decent players" (which is a laughable suggestion from you).
Mazty
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rucklo)
I presume hitting the ball with the racket will be a start.

I shall place £150 on Murray.
So, how'd that £150 go....:p:
Wata
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Del Potro is a terrible player. Yes he's won the US Open, and is world number 6 now, but is very inconsistent.

Federer still has 4-5 years of good tennis in him.
andrewk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Shame for murray today but he gave it his best but Fed was on top form today hopefully he will get his first grand slam this year most likely at the US open.
CrookedLegs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I really feel for Murray. He never looked comfortable today and it seemed like he felt he would be very lucky to win. The moment he lost the first set, it was always going to be an uphill struggle and his tennis reflected that, there was no consistency to his play and few displays of the absolute magic we've witnessed from him in recent years.

Federer deserves plaudits even though he wasn't at his best today either. It'll happen for Andy, this year even. I don't think Del Potro winning a slam before him has helped him at all, after losing in two finals now he'll begin to put more pressure on himself to win one even though when he is on form, he is arguably the most omnious player barring Naderer (yeah I did just do that!).

Also, he was fantastically gracious in defeat - publicity stunt or not, it takes true sportsmanship to be so magnanimous in defeat. A credit to British sport.
Ultimate1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DaveJ)
Well Murray was 2nd best out of those "10-15 decent players" (which is a laughable suggestion from you).
So did Murray play each and every one of those 128 players?
DaveJ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So did Murray play each and every one of those 128 players?
No, but that's not how tennis works. The best players are the ones who win the most titles, get the furthest in tournaments etc. As we are talking about ONE tournament, we obviously can't compare based on tournament wins. Murray was the runner up. That's pretty good.
jumpinglunch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Wata)
Del Potro is a terrible player. Yes he's won the US Open.
dfjr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Wata)
Del Potro is a terrible player. Yes he's won the US Open, and is world number 6 now, but is very inconsistent.

Federer still has 4-5 years of good tennis in him.
I do definitely think he's overrated. People are talking about it like he's going to be the next no.1. I don't think that'll ever happen.

It's a bit annoying Potro has won a grand slam and Murray hasn't as Murray has been a lot more consistent than Potro, reaching later stages of grand slams and loosing to an exceptional performance from an opponent (verdasco, roddick, cilic spring to mind) and of course more importantly winning masters titles on a consistent basis. You would think it's only a matter of time before he would step it up to win grand slams.

And if you look at Del Potro's record against Murray it's appaling. 1-6. And that one time he's won against murray was on clay. Potro has never beaten Murray on hard court.

Del Potro hasn't even won a master title I believe, but he's got a grand slam.
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mazty)
So, how'd that £150 go....:p:
I've been so hungover this is the first time I have been out of bed, so I couldn't get to the computer to bet online thank **** .
Sirocco11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dfjr)
I do definitely think he's overrated. People are talking about it like he's going to be the next no.1. I don't think that'll ever happen.

It's a bit annoying Potro has won a grand slam and Murray hasn't as Murray has been a lot more consistent than Potro, reaching later stages of grand slams and loosing to an exceptional performance from an opponent (verdasco, roddick, cilic spring to mind) and of course more importantly winning masters titles on a consistent basis. You would think it's only a matter of time before he would step it up to win grand slams.

And if you look at Del Potro's record against Murray it's appaling. 1-6. And that one time he's won against murray was on clay. Potro has never beaten Murray on hard court.

Del Potro hasn't even won a master title I believe, but he's got a grand slam.
Why all the hate for Del Potro ? Oh wait because he's won a Grand Slam and Murray hasn't, great logic :rolleyes: Consistency outside the slams doesn't mean everything, because most of the top players pick up their games - DP played a brilliant tournament to go through both Nadal and Federer successively; it matters not that much he hasn't won any Masters titles, there are several great players who have bested him in these tournaments, Murray included but that does not diminish his excellent effort at the US (and for the record, Murray-DP in Canada was a very close final). Del Potro played the Grand Slam exactly the way it should be played - he paced himself well early on and peaked just at the right time allowing him enough energy to take on Federer, plus, he went after his opponents, attacked relentlessly and took the initiative, something Murray has to do if he wants to win a major.

Majors are not deserved, they have to be fought and for and won.
nasmith3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Seriously what's your problem? If it wasn't for Murray we would have no British players to support in men's grand slam tennis. Why can you not just celebrate Murray's impressive success in a career that is still young.
Also, do you actually know anything about tennis or are you one of those people who make your opinion heard simply out of dislike for Murray. I only ask this because thinking that getting to a grand slam final is no great achievement shows a certain ignorance about the sport and its challenges.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.59%
No (285)
74.41%

Watched Threads