Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoang23)
    Apparently Tories are going to demolish the EMA and free bus travels for under 18's?

What do you think about it? Obviously, this may not apply to you but there are some families (e.g. my own) that cannot afford the cut of this.
    Who gets free bus passes?

Even when i was a t school one of my mates family was a single parent on benefits and he didn't get a free bus pass.

Unless you live in london i don't think under 18's get a free bus pass anyway.

And i agree with the ema cuts because i'm bitter, why do they think that because your family earn 50 quid over the cut off they can suddenly afford 20 quid a week bus fares? and ema doesn't take into consideration any financial problems they may have.

You may get someone on 20k living in council accomodation paying very very cheap rent whereas someone on 33k might be paying a mortgage and have 3 other dependants to support.

Not only that but the amount of people at my college who only go to get ema is ridiculous, they end up ******* about in the class and disrupting my learning because as long as they're there they will get their ******* 30 pound a week.

Either everyone should get it(which imo is stupid) or only people who really need it should get it and there should be propper vetting to decide this including home visits and looking over all household finances.

ReputationRep:
    I'm someone who gets full £30/week EMA, and I will be recieving it next year, and I really don't have any use for it...

My grandad lives with us because he has dementia which means my mum is his carer, and I suppose I am too, yet I still don't see the need for EMA. I only really applied for it because the government is stupid enough to give me free money. I have been given roughly £1000 altogether during this academic year through EMA, with a £100 bonus yet to be recieved... so I just spent it on parts for a computer I eventually built, and I've bought lots of other things with it - nothing related to my education.

If they stopped EMA while I was still eligible for it I wouldn't really be fussed as it's just an extra bundle of money I could otherwise live without. However, I will be saving most of it (well I plan to) next year to help me a bit in university the following year.

Oh and the bus company over here gives us bus passes for free transportation during school days...

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest ema is a bit too lucrative, most of mine went on clothes and alcohol

I think they should cut it down to £15-20 max a week and stop the £100 bonuses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 27Bilbs27)
    Wow. Talk about stereotypes. Since when are people that recieve EMA 'thick'? Firstly, i would scratch the 'most' as no one i know that recieves ema, gets money from their parents aswell! What a beautiful sob story, don't you realise that so many other people have a job on top of ema to pay for their social life too. We 'DESERVE' it because our household income is obviously below 30k! Errm i didnt realise I'd said i was better than anyone else?
    Why do you deserve money because your parents don't have good jobs?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They can get a ******* job, like the rest of us did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    I know, the only reason I don't have a job is because I get EMA and don't have any need for one. If EMA was scrapped i'd probably actually look for one xD
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ms607)
    I know, the only reason I don't have a job is because I get EMA and don't have any need for one. If EMA was scrapped i'd probably actually look for one xD
    I missed the £10 EMA threshold by £1 a year. Id hardly equate £1 a year to £10 a week better off.

But my job was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v-zero)
    It's a pretty useless A-level? Economics at University is not ideal either. The subject tailors to a market that is dominated by Maths and Physics graduates who are generally far more qualified.
    I strongly disagree with this. Economics is a beneficial A-Level and it is a shame that more students do not pick it up. That said, I think you will find that most people and universities consider subjects such as Business Studies, Photography, "Golf Studies" et al, to fit under the title "useless". Not Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbows!)
    Stupid to be honest. Us working class people from deprived backgrounds will be forced to get to work and get a job because no one will be able to afford to go to college or travel there.
    All the years Labour have fought for low income people to get into Higher education for the Tories to put one finger up to it.
    I am biased but anyone with a brain would realise education is vital for a good society and so what,maybe the EMA money wasn't always spent on books but at least the EMA may have been used for lunch while in college or extra cash which they may never have got because their parents can't afford it.
    As for free travel to under 18's,why not? they are the youth who will be voting within the next few years and if you just make them out of pocket because,face it bus fare has gone up and am not saying it's very expensive but it ain't always cheap either,then the parties and country will suffer when they all start rebelling.
    I have to pay 20 quid a week bus fare to get to college, i don't get ema and i don't eat lunch because i can't afford it so why should sixth formers who walk to their school get 30 quid a week lunch money, surely ema should just be a bus pass or train pass instead of actually giving them money to burn.

You shouldn't have to pay people to go into further education they should go into it to study not for 30 quid a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Absolutely makes my point, so many people getting EMA are probably thick as two short planks with comments being made like that. Jealous? Of course i'm ******* jealous. Most people get EMA PLUS money from their parents. I get no EMA and no money from my parents and have had to work for my money whilst seeing people spend their money on booze and basically getting free nights out. Sickens me how they think they DESERVE the right of getting EMA. What makes you better than those who don't get it?
    I get EMA, and you are slightly right, and slightly wrong. You are only talking about the "seen" and not the "unseen". Yes, some students spend EMA on cigarettes, booze, designer clothes etc, but I think you will find that most students get so much EMA they don't even know where to spend it, so they save it instead.

EMA was useful for me. It bought a few textbooks. Hopefully I'll get enough just in time before the Tories potentially eradicate it so I can invest in an ETF (Exchange Traded Fund, or a "basket of shares " ). Been trying to save for years, but only EMA has made delving into ETFs a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I knew who was entitled to EMA just used it to go out with on the weekend. I had to get a job! It didnt last long, but the thought was there. I would have quite liked EMA, as my parents didn't really give me an allowance or anything. I had to ask when I needed money.

ReputationRep:
    OMG and bounses for passing your a levels, like the rest of us haven't worked hard to pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebushfan)
    The worst one is ALG though, anyone over 19 can get it if you're in full time education, and it's £30 a week and not based on income - pretty pointless. I didn't apply for it out of principle.
    You're actually wrong:
    - You can only get if it's your first level 2 or 3
    - You can only receive if your household income is under 30k for a couple and 19k for a single person
    - You can't receive it if you receive certain other benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 27Bilbs27)
    Wow. Talk about stereotypes. Since when are people that recieve EMA 'thick'? Firstly, i would scratch the 'most' as no one i know that recieves ema, gets money from their parents aswell! What a beautiful sob story, don't you realise that so many other people have a job on top of ema to pay for their social life too. We 'DESERVE' it because our household income is obviously below 30k! Errm i didnt realise I'd said i was better than anyone else?
    I'm just saying usually the clued up posts are from those who don't get it. A lot of people who i see get EMA think they have a right to have it. Not generalising it to you all obviously, just saying that i'm quite surprised at the amount that actually are dumb enough to think they have every right for it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok EMA = maybe as it isn't really an excellent idea but free bus travel should remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbows!)
    Stupid to be honest. Us working class people from deprived backgrounds will be forced to get to work and get a job because no one will be able to afford to go to college or travel there.
    All the years Labour have fought for low income people to get into Higher education for the Tories to put one finger up to it.
    I am biased but anyone with a brain would realise education is vital for a good society and so what,maybe the EMA money wasn't always spent on books but at least the EMA may have been used for lunch while in college or extra cash which they may never have got because their parents can't afford it.
    As for free travel to under 18's,why not? they are the youth who will be voting within the next few years and if you just make them out of pocket because,face it bus fare has gone up and am not saying it's very expensive but it ain't always cheap either,then the parties and country will suffer when they all start rebelling.
    LOL. After reading the bit in bold, I assumed you were just taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    They've got to cut spending. EMA is a joke.
    Yes but the under 18 travel isnt.

(Original post by RealityIsDull)
    Whats stopping them getting a job exactly? A saturday job whilst at college would provide the amount EMA pays for, or evening shifts.

In theory yes, but considering current unemployment levels, where are an extra couple of million teens going to fit in exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)

Many people on EMA - usually those who really need it and deserve it - have jobs. I juggle being a young carer for my parents - the reason they can't have a household income over however much thousand every year - with having a job and going to school, and I aim to continue that, but EMA will make it a lot easier for me.

ReputationRep:
    If they scrap EMA they need to replace it with something else, e.g. paying for transport. I know people who wouldn't have been able to do a-levels if it wasn't for EMA, as they couldn't have afforded the bus travel. Some people may not need it but still get it (e.g. I know someone whose parents are divorced so she only declares her mums income, while her dad earns loads) but a lot of people really rely on it; completely scrapping it is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoang23)
    Apparently Tories are going to demolish the EMA and free bus travels for under 18's?

What do you think about it? Obviously, this may not apply to you but there are some families (e.g. my own) that cannot afford the cut of this.
    Soure? I know you haven't got one. So stop chatting ******** and get the true facts on tory policy.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.