Turn on thread page Beta

"Looks are everything these days" watch

• View Poll Results: "Looks are everything these days" - Agree or disagree?
    Agree
    51.94%
    Disagree
    48.06%

ReputationRep:
    I look innocent.
    Beware, it is not deceiving.
    Under that face is a grinning skull :sneakydevil: Mwahaha. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity:))
    Interesting you say, 'you wouldnt touch him with a barge pole' I for some reason sense doubts in this statement
    Why do girls want hot guys and want a cheap laugh?
    You might not, but theeres probably like90% who would.
    some girls do like the 'bad boy' sort of persona, i accept that BUT is that the right sort of person to have a settled relationship with? i dont think so however, for some people he may be quite acceptable for a one night stand and/or a bit of fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Out For Sharks)
    I wouldnt have got to where I am in life without being really, really really ridiculously good looking.
    Cool. Where are you at right now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jannike)
    Yes, there are specific examples of humans overriding evolutionary thinking. The example of people paying taxes for the benefit of others can be explained by evolutionary theories of altruism such as Inclusive Fitness. Anyway, not paying taxes would cause a person a lot of legal hassle, and people are aware they would be punished for refusing to pay, and so the dislike of paying taxes is not as large as the necessity for fitness of paying taxes.

It's interesting we're talking about the strong supporting the weak while Michael Moore's 'Capitalism: A Love Story" is on. I don't think we can make life any easier for "munters"; they seems to find other, equally unattractive people to reproduce with, anyway. :p:
    Btw I was talking about sufficient numbers of wealthy people forming the opinion that they should not support the poor that a political party could gain support by going for a stripped out 'greed is good' style policy. We generally don't do this, even when the utilitarian optimum lies with a greedy policy because of ethical notions unrelated to material gain. Not just deciding they don't want to pay.

I think Michel Houellebecq writes about this quite well. His characters are always smart, sometimes hideously ugly, sometimes average looking but never 'attractive' (actually all his characters are all the same, which is another story). The idea is that since sexual liberation and the industrial revolution, which happened more recently for the Frenchies, society has been stratified sexually as well as financially. The plight of his characters is always that despite possessing all of the requisite attributes to succeed 50 years ago their chances of happiness are completely wrecked at birth by being born unattractive.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt have got to where I am in life without being really, really really ridiculously good looking.
    are you sure you haven't got to where you are in life through flattening some grass? :p:

ReputationRep:
    before it applied to women, now it applies to both men and women

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be depressed about looks, hop on a plane to California.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeylfc1989)
    Cool. Where are you at right now?
    Hooters of course.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I can confirm that having a big **** counts for nothing. It's not like we can go around in T shirts with 'I have a big ****' written on it.

And yes, unfortunately you're right about looks. This world is incredibly shallow especially the women of this world.

ReputationRep:
    Don't flatter yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Don't flatter yourself.
    Stop taking things so seriously, love.

ReputationRep:
    Don't flatter yourself.
    shhhh don't be like that she's working at Hooters, shes really achieved in life! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Do you agree or disagree with the statement? (No inbetweens)

I mean, in this sex-obsessed world that we currently live in (a couple of threads on H&R proves this), if you're not good-looking, that's you damned for your whole life.

You have to look attractive, perfect, gorgeous etc - otherwise no one is going to take you seriously.

It doesn't matter if you have the best personality in the world, or are really good with people etc - if you don't have the looks, no one will shag you and no one will take you seriously.

In fact, being a virgin is considered a disgusting and horrible trait, unfortunately.

A slutty girl is considered better than a girl with morals. Girls are expected to have nice boobs and a slim figure; men are expected to have a big **** and look "fit".

If you don't have the looks, you're treated as scum. Looks are everything these days.

... This is not my opinion, but this is the way I see the world at the moment. That's society for you in a few sentences.

Do you agree with this or not?
    Well seeing that it is considered normal for everyone to be ****** up nowadays due to carrying 1000 issues around with them and to have no hobbies or interests, I would have to say looks are everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    A slutty girl is considered better than a girl with morals.
    Girls who do what they like - so long as it hurts no one but themselves - are considered better than girls of such inferior strength of mind they accept the view that sexual contact is somehow 'immoral'.

ReputationRep:
    Stop taking things so seriously, love.
    That's not possible.

Did you know that I wear a suit just to post on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    That's not possible.

Did you know that I wear a suit just to post on TSR?
    I think somebody needs a hug.
    :hugs:
    better?

ReputationRep:
    "these days" is wrong, people have always been more interested in looks.

ReputationRep:
    Hooters of course.
    If you actually consider that a success then... *giggles*

Pics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsch)
    Btw I was talking about sufficient numbers of wealthy people forming the opinion that they should not support the poor that a political party could gain support by going for a stripped out 'greed is good' style policy. We generally don't do this, even when the utilitarian optimum lies with a greedy policy because of ethical notions unrelated to material gain. Not just deciding they don't want to pay.

I think Michel Houellebecq writes about this quite well. His characters are always smart, sometimes hideously ugly, sometimes average looking but never 'attractive' (actually all his characters are all the same, which is another story). The idea is that since sexual liberation and the industrial revolution, which happened more recently for the Frenchies, society has been stratified sexually as well as financially. The plight of his characters is always that despite possessing all of the requisite attributes to succeed 50 years ago their chances of happiness are completely wrecked at birth by being born unattractive.
    The proportion of poor people is far higher than that of wealthy people, so seeing as we all have the same voting power as each other, that could never happen. If the top few percentage of people in the wealth hierarchy had more voting power than the rest of us put together, things would be very different, and a "greed is good" style of ruling probably would exist.

In certains career paths, attractiveness is a necessity, but the richest people in the world are usually not attractive at all. Perhaps I will give this Michel Houellebecq a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Well seeing that it is considered normal for everyone to be ****** up nowadays due to carrying 1000 issues around with them and to have no hobbies or interests, I would have to say looks are everything.
    This is right on. It's 'uncool' to be anything other than the good looking, lazy, unambitious wastrel. Then people get to 18 and they realise how ****** they are.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.