Turn on thread page Beta

Walking around in my own house - am I unreasonable here? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think you've got your answer from everyone else but I agree with them: Your house. Your routine. Tell her to put up with it or get out.

I'm the same by the way - when I'm at home (working away from home for the summer) I wake up at 4am and get up and have something to eat/drink and go back to bed. I do have a reason though - I've got to be in work at 5am, so I get up at 4am and get stuck in the routine even when I have the day off - I wake up at 4am starving and thirsty.

ReputationRep:
    has OP done anything about or will the OP be letting her get away with it again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shambaby)
    You're not being unreasonable at all. It's you normal routine, and I don't see why you should change it for her.
    If she doesn't like it, she can find somewhere else to stay.
    Exactly this. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    If only the kettle had already boiled :sigh: , you could've thrown it over her...

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to be a decent guest and admire your effort to make her room a nice temperature and noise proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex_1_2_1)
    She needs a slap

This! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Move the kettle to your room

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to **** off.

ReputationRep:
    You wake up at 430? That is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    =g

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TTRMW)
    has OP done anything about or will the OP be letting her get away with it again?
    OP has kicked her out of the house - she broke my favourite glass.

(Original post by yousuf95)
    1) 5 1/2 hours sleep is insuffeicient
    are u teen or adult?
    u need 8 hours adult, 9-12 teen
    Yeah, except people are different. My body may change some day, but right now five and a half to six hours sleep is more than enough.

ReputationRep:
    Kick her out. You've been completley reasonable, especially as you warned her beforehand! Get rid :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry 19??...and wakes up at 4 30 out of choice what is wrong with you?? Get some sleep whilst your young you won't have the same oportunities to have lie ins when you've got a family etc. The womans got a point...stop making tea, stop wondering around...get some sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    OP has kicked her out of the house - she broke my favourite glass.

I know I must use TSR too much; I wanted to neg rep her :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I usually get up at about 0430 hours to make myself a cup of tea, before going back to read in bed before properly getting up at about 0600 hours.

I currently have a relative staying with me. I told her that I would probably be up early, but that I'd make sure I went quietly and that, if she would keep her door shut (thick oak door), it would drown out practically all noise.

So, first night she's here, I do exactly what I usually do and make a cup of tea at 0430 hours. Whilst the kettle is boiling (and it's not a whistling one, I'm not inconsiderate), she comes storming out of her room, yelling, "What are you doing!? All decent people are in bed, and you're making this God-awful racket! It's four thirty in the morning, for God's sake!" and so on.

Turns out she didn't shut her door because it would get too hot (:rolleyes: - I provided her with a fan to use for this purpose), so the noise woke her up and she is now yelling at me for doing exactly what I warned her I would be.

I don't see how I'm being unfair: I told her this would happen, I told her how to avoid being woken up by it (in the addition to putting her in the room with the heavy door, I also provided earplugs), I gave her a fan so she wouldn't get hot... In addition, it's actually my house and I don't even like the woman, I'm letting her stay here as a favour to a relative I do like.

Was what I did unreasonable?
    How old are you ?

ReputationRep:
    Tea time is ALL OF THE TIME.

She threw it down the sink? I'd throw her right the **** out of my house.

Tea: SERIOUS BUSINESS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yousuf95)
    1) 5 1/2 hours sleep is insuffeicient
    are u teen or adult?
    u need 8 hours adult, 9-12 teen
    2)why dont u just show ur relative the 160+ posts against her
    3) u can only enjoy sunrise daylight if sunrise is at that time. in winter sunrise only strats at 6000 anyway
    Time is a very poor way of categorising sleep requirements. (At least on its own.) In truth, human sleep requirements are based significantly on the stage of sleep that is arrived at. Common sleep improvement techniques take advantage of this fact, attempting to help the subject to achieve much longer periods of deep sleep (stages 3 and 4), reducing the necessary amount to as little as five hours.

If this person doesn't feel tired then there is really no issue here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by new-here)
    How old are you ?
    Nineteen. Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)

I know I must use TSR too much; I wanted to neg rep her :teehee:
    I think I did the real-life version. Whilst she was packing up her clothes, she kept muttering about how she wasn't going to stay in a B&B, she'd phone another relative and get a room ... so I phoned all the local relatives and explained why I was kicking her out, and advised them not to board her. And none have. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I think I did the real-life version. Whilst she was packing up her clothes, she kept muttering about how she wasn't going to stay in a B&B, she'd phone another relative and get a room ... so I phoned all the local relatives and explained why I was kicking her out, and advised them not to board her. And none have. :rofl:
    Haha! She must have been a really awful house guest. Did she do anything else annoying?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.