Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Reallly?
    I meant it as SA were liars, considering they put up a front about Iran in the public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Yeah, they're going to make that person sit on the naughty chair, and they may even ring that person's parents as well. :rolleyes:
    :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    No i'm not.
    the Arab" leaders" hate iran, they have even given israel the right to use the countries airspace if israel wants to attack Iran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Reading through these documents and I find it funny that everyone wants to attack Iran bar the US. Although im getting a distinct impression that they are scouting about Europe for allies against Iran.
    It may be that the US couldn't live with the consequences.

Nothing much suprises me from these documents, except the spying incidents. I literally had no clue that such high profile spying was going on.

ReputationRep:
    If I had any money I'd donate it to Wikileaks.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    It may be that the US couldn't live with the consequences.

Nothing much suprises me from these documents, except the spying incidents. I literally had no clue that such high profile spying was going on.
    I knew it went on but to go as far as Iris scans and DNA samples?

Yeah one document Iread said that after this year a US strike would cause unacceptable collateral damage so they have till the end of the year to sort Iran out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Yeah one document Iread said that after this year a US strike would cause unacceptable collateral damage so they have till the end of the year to sort Iran out.
    I was pretty shocked at the targets, the top dogs of the UN....

Don't forget that Iran borders both Iraq and Afghanistan, things could get really crazy if a strike occurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Why? Why should other middle Eastern leaders put up with a nuclear Iran that will destabilise the area and cause a possible nuclear arms race
    Iran has a right to have nuclear weapons, just as much as any other country.
    And you have to think about the Iranian people when talking about attacking the country. The leaders didn't have any consideration for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

America can't afford any more bad-press as regards muslims. They are already hated too much in the middle-east as imperialist interventionalists. They probably couldn't muster the civilian support to go through with it, and you can't win a war without the home front.
    Along with this, they won't be too badly affected from a nuclear Iran, at least in the short term, and compared to the Arab states and Israel. Hence the onus is on them to sort Iran out. My prediction would be joint Arab intervention with US supplying weaponry.
    Israel can't go it alone for the reasons mentioned in the cable: they are also hated by the muslims enough, and also the hypocracy of their position considering that they have nuclear weapons and haven't even ratified the NNPT :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I'm glad that it demonstrates the Americans showed restraint when it came to Iran, they had support and even pressure from all the Arab states and Israel to launch both aerial and ground attacks on Iran - but they didn't.
    Well we don't really know exactly what the American government were thinking. I know that it was the Arab leaders that were persistant in having the US launch an attack, that sickens me. But Hillary Clinton had asked US diplomats to spy on the UN, and broke international laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    The torrent STILL has no seeds
    And I've just noticed that. It's incredibly frustrating!

When was the file made available?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    And you have to think about the Iranian people when talking about attacking the country. The leaders didn't have any consideration for this.

If Iran is allowed nuclear weapons its the people that will pay the ultimate price at the hands of that despicable regime.

A weapon that could potenically destroy the planet is not the right of any nation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    America can't afford any more bad-press as regards muslims. They are already hated too much in the middle-east as imperialist interventionalists. They probably couldn't muster the civilian support to go through with it, and you can't win a war without the home front.
    Along with this, they won't be too badly affected from a nuclear Iran, at least in the short term, and compared to the Arab states and Israel. Hence the onus is on them to sort Iran out. My prediction would be joint Arab intervention with US supplying weaponry.
    Israel can't go it alone for the reasons mentioned in the cable: they are also hated by the muslims enough, and also the hypocracy of their position considering that they have nuclear weapons and haven't even ratified the NNPT :rolleyes:
    I think in one of the other cables a Saudi prince I think it is mentions that Israel needs to give up its weapons and rightly so. A nuclear free Middle East should be the ultimate aim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)

:facepalm:

This is why little girls don't do international politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Makes the people who claim the USA is a warmongerer look a bit dense. Looks like the Arab states have spent years trying to encourage American air and ground attacks - with the Americans completely reluctant to launch any military assault.
    The USA is only a warmongerer when the political climate suits it. Of course the US is reluctant to launch a military assault. With the escalation in Afghanistan, low public approval and massive economic deficits (to which the recent wars have significantly contributed) it would take a very brave politician to launch another pre-emptive attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    :facepalm:

This is why little girls don't do international politics.
    Bah, whether or not I agree, if little girls were 'doing' international politics the world would be a much better place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Makes the people who claim the USA is a warmongerer look a bit dense. Looks like the Arab states have spent years trying to encourage American air and ground attacks - with the Americans completely reluctant to launch any military assault.

(Original post by Aj12)
    Seems to be. Did not realise Iran had so much hate in the middle east I just thought they were disliked. So much for the war mongering US they really are pushing the diplomatic route

(Original post by Aeolus)
    Exactly lol.

Especially Julian himself who has said that he wants wikileaks to end American wars around the world. Evidently he was so naive to believe the old conspiracy that the USA is to blame for everything bad everywhere.

I have just been reading about the Iranian missiles able to strike Europe. Bummer for Julian and his anti-war buddies.
    There are many different ways to warmonger... We're forgetting here how often it was the US providing arms and funding to various sides of conflicts in the Middle East. There's a vested interest in keeping the area unstable. They're not always going to do an Iraq and burst in with their own guns blazing. In fact, it was pretty much proven that doing that is a much more expensive option than behind the scenes work.

ReputationRep:
    US condemns Wikileaks diplomatic cables release

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11860435

ReputationRep:
    Profile: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11047811

Embassy cable reveals Labour minister was 'a hound dog with women'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...ster-hound-dog

It doesn't say who.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.