France Grand Slam
    3.39%
    Italy Title
    1.69%
    Italy Grand Slam
    4.24%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)
    That was done badly by Chabal yes. I don't see how that suggests the rest of the French players or Lievremont would refuse to speak English in a press interview. Actually if I was French, I'd be pretty offended.
    It doesn't state this alone, nor have we stated that it does. It was just highlighted as a symptom, an example, of the French rugby team's arrogance. If you were to search around you would find more examples from Lievremont and French players of an attitude that I'd describe as arrogant, however I just stated a general point, and anarone provided a single example to highlight it.

I've no idea why any French person would be offended, since we clearly referred to the French rugby team, not French people. I have no issue with the nation or people of France, I just think their current rugby team has an arrogant and relatively unpleasant attitude, which is why I'd moderately prefer them to lose to a team neutral to me. That's all. I don't see how that's any different to all the people here saying they'd prefer England to lose to a team neutral to them, except that I'm providing some reasoning as to why. Plus that I don't really care that much, it's just a minor preference.

(Original post by anarone)
    I'm not saying the French players necessarily would, but it highlights an arrogancy in which other French player's may be. Rugby is an international sport... If you want to talk to the rugby world, and can speak English... then why not use it?
    Actually, I have no issue with wanting to speak French in France per se, but that when two people have a single language in common, it makes sense to speak in that language and not refuse to speak entirely. If Martin Johnson could speak French and a French reporter, who couldn't speak English, asked him a question in French, I'd expect him to answer. English should be the preferred, default language here, just as French should in France, but sticking to any language that the other person doesn't speak is silly and arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I imagine he's contending that Chabal's comments are somewhat indicative of the French team. Would it be implausible to imagine Lievremont or many of the other players doing the same thing?
    + rep for this, when the system will allow it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if only chabal could back up the arrogance with some rugby-related eptitude that wasn't just running into people and hoping they don't know how to tackle properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    -
    -
    Fair enough. I agree the French team can come cross as arrogant, but then loads of internationals on all teams do really. Especially the bloody South Africans... though at least they're allowed to be arrogant. Not so after the WC

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure we appear arrogant to the French aswell however. It's just how we perceive the opposing nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaargh)
    Yeah, if only chabal could back up the arrogance with some rugby-related eptitude that wasn't just running into people and hoping they don't know how to tackle properly
    Wait, what, you want people not to play rugby now?! Chabal's a forward, their entire raison d'être is to run into people and hope they don't know how to tackle properly.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyc..._rugby_in.html

Thought i'd post this, I like the structure and it gives a good insight into a few of the English player's mindset around gametime. Worth a read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Wait, what, you want people not to play rugby now?! Chabal's a forward, their entire raison d'être is to run into people and hope they don't know how to tackle properly.
    Haha, true, but some of the less obnoxious ones have the decency to at least try to offload at some point during their donkey-face first into the middle of the opposing pack and ending up several metres behind the gain line.

ReputationRep:
    England for grandslam, it all counts on the next match ENGLAND VS FRANCE ! come on england

ReputationRep:
    O'Gara \o/

ReputationRep:
    England will get beaten by France or ireland. England won't win the 6N

ReputationRep:
    I think we will struggle, we wont win the Grandslam, but we will win it. I think we will beat France but Ireland will destroy our grandslam hopes!

I can't wait to sit in the rugby club and watch the match on saturday night, right after i go and watch Newcastle and St James's park. Sport Mania day for me

ReputationRep:
    So excited for Saturday!! I can't wait. I can't really say who I think will win but it should be a great match either way.
    I think England could get the grand slam. If we beat France I think we can beat Ireland, if not then who knows.

Just can't wait for a great weekend of rugby

ReputationRep:
    Is there a match on tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Is there a match on tomorrow?

Wales vs Italy 14.30pm

France vs England 17.00pm

Sunday = Scotland vs. Wales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Wales vs Italy 14.30pm

thanks for that. I'm a bit ****ing annoyed that I'll miss the first half of the England vs France game because im at the newcastle match!

ReputationRep:
    Wales vs Italy 14.30pm

I think you mean Sunday is Scotland vs Ireland. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    I think you mean Sunday is Scotland vs Ireland. :p:

ReputationRep:
    come on PINK what are you doing like JEEz you call yourself a rugby fan...

ReputationRep:
    My predictions for this weekend:

Italy v Wales - Away win
    England v France - Home win
    Scotland v Ireland - Away win

What do other people think?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.