Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are police allowed to punch you in the face? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obins)
    You think if there was no police, no prison, no justice system and no government security system you'd be ok?

Have you seen what its like to live in places like Somalia? Every single criminal in the country would be free to act with no fear of any punishment. You'd be raped, robbed and murdered in days or hours.

Well you're wrong frankly.
    i've been to various dangerous countries in africa. have you ever heard of private security? last time i went there were two huge people with AK47s following use about at all times.

i'm not going to get into an argument with you about whether we need the pigs.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunatley the Police are not allowed to punch people in the face, But I bleiev they should have the power to give people a hiding when deserved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob'syouruncle)
    Today I attended the third day of protest in london, and while we were marching peacefully around london, there was a line of policemen alongside our march (presumably to keep watch and make sure we stayed non-violent). At certain times our path of walking was quite tight because of cars and buses so we had to squeeze through which meant we were quite close to the police and they would simply shove people away and even punched a friend of mine right in the face for simply walking.

So my question is, are they allowed to do this? We noted down the officers number but unfortunately no one filmed it.

Yes, police officers can walk upto you, punch you in the face, and walk into work the next day, having been reported, and not be charged with a criminal offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toofaforu)
    i've been to various dangerous countries in africa. have you ever heard of private security? last time i went there were two huge people with AK47s following use about at all times.

i'm not going to get into an argument with you about whether we need the pigs.
    So you're saying it would be better if the UK was more like a dangerous African country where you need to hire armed private security because you don't like the police (Probably because they knocked you back from joining)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but ain't that part of their job?
    Probably, but that doesn't mean they have to like doing it. Doesn't stop them from getting annoyed about having to stand outside in the cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Would punching a peaceful protester in the chops be "defending" yourself?
    don't be ignorance by calling a protester "peaceful" they never are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Hmm, yeah, becuase every single police officer is corrupt.
    Just like everyone who protests is a hippy, pot smoking, dred wearing good for nothing.

You sir/madam, are ****ing retarded.
    did I say all of them were corrupt no I didn't, but there are alot who are and alot who abuse their power

All protesters aren't like you have stated them to be

You sir should learn to read properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)
    did I say all of them were corrupt no I didn't, but there are alot who are and alot who abuse their power

You bore me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)

Define 'abuse their power' for us.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, If the police officer feels threatened and needs to defend himself, he has 4 seconds to decide how to react.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PlanetEuropa;28740156]Unfortunatley the Police are not allowed to punch people in the face, But I bleiev they should have the power to give people a hiding when deserved[/QUOTE
    They actually can, they have 4 seconds to decide if they feel threatened or need to defend themselves, i'm doing level 1 public services and one of my teachers is a Ex-Police Sergeant and another one is a Ex-Special Combustible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainSBucky)
    Yes, If the police officer feels threatened and needs to defend himself, he has 4 seconds to decide how to react.
    Way to revive a seven year old threat, good job. Ten points to Hufflepuff.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where you get the 4 seconds rule from...

It's not black and white. It's up to the officer to adequately justify why he uses any amount of force on a person. If he can't, his job is on the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob'syouruncle)
    Today I attended the third day of protest in london, and while we were marching peacefully around london, there was a line of policemen alongside our march (presumably to keep watch and make sure we stayed non-violent). At certain times our path of walking was quite tight because of cars and buses so we had to squeeze through which meant we were quite close to the police and they would simply shove people away and even punched a friend of mine right in the face for simply walking.

So my question is, are they allowed to do this? We noted down the officers number but unfortunately no one filmed it.
    If you kick off, then yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.