The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are police allowed to punch you in the face?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bob'syouruncle
Today I attended the third day of protest in london, and while we were marching peacefully around london, there was a line of policemen alongside our march (presumably to keep watch and make sure we stayed non-violent). At certain times our path of walking was quite tight because of cars and buses so we had to squeeze through which meant we were quite close to the police and they would simply shove people away and even punched a friend of mine right in the face for simply walking.

So my question is, are they allowed to do this? We noted down the officers number but unfortunately no one filmed it.

Yes, police officers can walk upto you, punch you in the face, and walk into work the next day, having been reported, and not be charged with a criminal offence.
Reply 161
Original post by toofaforu
i've been to various dangerous countries in africa. have you ever heard of private security? last time i went there were two huge people with AK47s following use about at all times.

i'm not going to get into an argument with you about whether we need the pigs.

So you're saying it would be better if the UK was more like a dangerous African country where you need to hire armed private security because you don't like the police (Probably because they knocked you back from joining)?
Reply 162
Original post by W.H.T
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ain't that part of their job? :s-smilie:

Probably, but that doesn't mean they have to like doing it. Doesn't stop them from getting annoyed about having to stand outside in the cold.
Original post by Bonged.
Would punching a peaceful protester in the chops be "defending" yourself?

don't be ignorance by calling a protester "peaceful" they never are.
Original post by lonelykatana

Original post by lonelykatana
Hmm, yeah, becuase every single police officer is corrupt.
Just like everyone who protests is a hippy, pot smoking, dred wearing good for nothing.

You sir/madam, are ****ing retarded.

did I say all of them were corrupt no I didn't, but there are alot who are and alot who abuse their power

All protesters aren't like you have stated them to be

You sir should learn to read properly
Original post by scorpion95
did I say all of them were corrupt no I didn't, but there are alot who are and alot who abuse their power

You bore me
Reply 166
Original post by scorpion95

Define 'abuse their power' for us.
Yes, If the police officer feels threatened and needs to defend himself, he has 4 seconds to decide how to react.
[QUOTE="PlanetEuropa;28740156"]Unfortunatley the Police are not allowed to punch people in the face, But I bleiev they should have the power to give people a hiding when deserved[/QUOTE
They actually can, they have 4 seconds to decide if they feel threatened or need to defend themselves, i'm doing level 1 public services and one of my teachers is a Ex-Police Sergeant and another one is a Ex-Special Combustible.
Original post by CaptainSBucky
Yes, If the police officer feels threatened and needs to defend himself, he has 4 seconds to decide how to react.

Way to revive a seven year old threat, good job. Ten points to Hufflepuff.
I don't know where you get the 4 seconds rule from...

It's not black and white. It's up to the officer to adequately justify why he uses any amount of force on a person. If he can't, his job is on the line.
Reply 171
Original post by bob'syouruncle
Today I attended the third day of protest in london, and while we were marching peacefully around london, there was a line of policemen alongside our march (presumably to keep watch and make sure we stayed non-violent). At certain times our path of walking was quite tight because of cars and buses so we had to squeeze through which meant we were quite close to the police and they would simply shove people away and even punched a friend of mine right in the face for simply walking.

So my question is, are they allowed to do this? We noted down the officers number but unfortunately no one filmed it.

If you kick off, then yes.
Apologising for what? Shoving them or getting too close, of course you can’t get too close to them they don’t know you don’t have some sort of weapon use your brains and stop whinging. You want to appear grown up and protest then do just that and THINK!!
Section 3 replaces the common law rules on self-defence in English law, such as the duty to retreat. It simply requires that any force used must be
Reply 174
Original post by Rudra38
Section 3 replaces the common law rules on self-defence in English law, such as the duty to retreat. It simply requires that any force used must be

I imagine the op resolved this issue, ten years ago...

Latest