Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looks vs height vs build vs confidence in a club (for a guy) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayB124)
    But secret option C of staying single is often taken instead. And this example is of the extremes. Most guys aren't complete *******s. Two otherwise similar guys: taller guy is in general more attractive, even if he is lacking in every other dept. Which is the point of the thread; which is the most important?
    So now I'm shallow because I'm single?:rolleyes:

I know most men aren't complete *******s. I was just giving an example.

In a club I don't get with anyone unless I'm completely wasted. And when that drunk, I honestly do not care about what the guys looks like.

If you read the rest of the paragraph it becomes immediately obvious that she was being shallow and was trying to defend herself. I don't think of myself as intelligent, I graduated bottom of my undergraduates. OK I got stuffed by(red tape and lost 25% in my dissertation and then graduated top in my MSc but still. And I don't go to the gym for abs, I go to try and stop heart disease and diabeetes. The good physique although very good, was a side effect. She was saying that the only reason I became "awesome" was because I was short when that is ridiculous.
    Okay, so if a girl who never put any effort into her appearance started to wear nice clothes, make up and had a nice hair cut, would it be shallow for guys to suddenly start finding her attractive?

ReputationRep:
    This thread is still going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love shopping)
    So now I'm shallow because I'm single?:rolleyes:
    No, when did I say that? The example you gave was an complete but tall jerk and a short superhero. That's not a fair one to use.

Okay, so if a girl who never put any effort into her appearance started to wear nice clothes, make up and had a nice hair cut, would it be shallow for guys to suddenly start finding her attractive?
    What's that got to do with me supposedly having a short man complex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    I found it amusing how 5'9" has been deemed short by some guys when it's actually the national average!
    I'm 5'10", and I could swear I'm taller than the majority of men I encounter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakerzoid)
    Proof?
    Given that women apparently don't sleep with short men ever, his hypothesis may be problematic.

ReputationRep:
    No, when did I say that? The example you gave was an complete but tall jerk and a short superhero. That's not a fair one to use.
    You implied it.

Someone else used an example of women who earn £150,000 per annum. I got bashed for calling that unreasonable. How is my example any more unreasonable than that?

What's that got to do with me supposedly having a short man complex?
    I was talking about you going to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I'm 5'10", and I could swear I'm taller than the majority of men I encounter.
    From the horses mouth!

ReputationRep:
    You implied it.

Someone else used an example of women who earn £150,000 per annum. I got bashed for calling that unreasonable. How is my example any more unreasonable than that?

I was talking about you going to the gym.
    How can I imply such a thing? I don't know who has offered to be with you and how tall they were and whether they were good people, or if they were a complete ****. The thing with the salary was that it was an arbitrary number to show how shallow placing a restriction on who you date was. When you compared dating a fabulous short guy to a nobbish tall guy it isn't really fair is it? When the salary came into it it was the only significant difference. If she was rich but a ***** then she would be undateable.

When there are two guys where one is deemed short, I'd wager, and have seen that he's taller counterpart is by far more succesful - even though the shorter one is often slightly "better" in the other categories. I think it would take a large difference for someone to chose a short guy over someone else.

I've already said I go to the gym to try to avoid heart disease and diabeetes in later life. There is history in my familiy and if I can avoid it by spending a hour or so in the gym (and eating correctly) instead of watching Friends repeats then thats what I'll do. I much prefer being in shape, no doubt. But I'm not going so I get a six pack. When I do have one its nice for sure. It is not my intention though. I know it's hard to believe but if I for one dont want to have to shove massive needle in me every day.

My point is that when it comes to looks, height, build or confidence in a club environment, height is by far the most important. I'm not saying shorter men are undateable due to women or something of that kind.

ReputationRep:
    You implied it.
    I see now that what I said could be seen that way. I'm very sorry and didn't mean to imply that you were shallow.

ReputationRep:
    Well since I could talk I have been conditioned to believe, quite correctly that, 99.9% of women are intrested in my bank balance and stock portfolio rather than that Mills and Boon nonsense. Why would me wanting a high earner to give me some reassurance be shallow at all? Addittionaly high earning women are attractive because they are sucessful - isn't that the crapwomen say?

A guy can't do much about his height. Women can lose weight. Don't have to though becasue quite a few like it better that way.

Actual point is that women are choosier than men. All women have requirements. Whereas men have preferences, but I doubt many men will reject a woman because she was a cup size too small.

Women are by far more shallow. Guys talk a lot but when it comes to it they really don't mind. Women wont let go of the tall requirement but will gladly sacrifice the dark, handsome, cute, funny, sweet etc.

On the ratings; women have constantly rated me. 8/10 FYI. Wanna know something funny, they also admitted height was letting me down and if I was even about 5'10 then I'd be in the 9 and 10. So, let's not pretend that men are the only ones who do this. Women have done it to my face. I even once got a misfired text from a friend saying that she did really fancy me but I was too short to be dateable. Many of my friends have mistook my friendliness, kindness and protective nature to have ulterior motives and have had to tell me that "if I was just taller". I wasn't interested in any of them but besides the point really. I don't find anything wrong in having these requirements. It's your life and it's your bed. You can decide who get's in it with you. But lets not pretend that its not shallow but its divine.

Your boyfriend is obviously a ****. If you want to be cautious in futre relationships I encourage it, but not all men are dicks.

A funny story is that a woman I had just met told me that it wasn't my height that was the problem but the fact that I have a complex about it. I asked about this and she said no male can be as well groomed, well dressed, smart, funny, charming and fit if he didnt feel he had to compensate for his height. I don't think I do. I go gym becasue their is some history of heart disease in the family. Looking good is something all men should do. I just got it right. And the personality of an 18 (when this happened) year old is mostly established when height isn't a big deal. Hell, I was one of the best rugby players at school!

It did make me realise though that, shorter men can't afford to be dicks. They have to be much better than all their counterparts because of womens heightism. So if you are having trouble there is a relatively untapped pool for you!

N.B: I have nothing against women and their check list. They can fancy whoever they want. Also women have come on to me (hard) albeit rarely. So I realise not all women are daft enough to reject a guy for a very trivial reason.

That is quite a statement. JayB124, how tall are you if you don't mind?

As for everyone else, Neil Strauss is 5' 6...

ReputationRep:
    Confidence is a made up thing so women can reject a guy without looking shallow. Confident men that she doesn't like become arrogant. There is nothing wrong with it. They just like to make men believe they are the shallow ones and men are stupid enough to fall for it.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggsandsteak)
    That is quite a statement. JayB124, how tall are you if you don't mind?

As for everyone else, Neil Strauss is 5' 6...
    I'm 5'4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Small men = small penis.
    No, I believe the more scientific rule is the bigger their green gem count, the bigger their penis!

Bad luck matey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    No, I believe the more scientific rule is the bigger their green gem count, the bigger their penis!

Bad luck matey.
    Green gems are an indication of a good average guy who finishes last whilst my red gems indicate a bad boy with a huge wang who gets all the girls.!

TSR Logic not mine.

ReputationRep:
    "You need to be on your tip-top game with your GTL's to stay FTD to get the girls to DTF in MIA" (Mike 'The Situation')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Green gems are an indication of a good average guy who finishes last whilst my red gems indicate a bad boy with a huge wang who gets all the girls.!

TSR Logic not mine.
    By that logic, Imsoacademic is some pre-adolescent, murdering, puppy raping, lesbian casanova who hangs lower then Ron Burgundy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robotwars)
    how important are these things relative to each other when you're in a club, for a guy?

to avoid any confusion:

looks - what your face looks like

height - how tall you are

build - skinny, fat, muscly etc.

confidence - self explanatory

i know there will be people who say its all about confidence blah blah blah. but if you're a 5 foot, fat, ugly guy, you won't get anything even with masses of confidence.
    Cheers for clearing that up, I was confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    By that logic, Imsoacademic is some pre-adolescent, murdering, puppy raping, lesbian casanova who hangs lower then Ron Burgundy?
    Probably lol!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.