Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I sense a circular argument here.

Can't we be friends? Let's just sit down and have a cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jolteon)
    bazlehman stop waht yourre talkig about, you aren't a good director

you'ee don't even ahve any cameras.

generaliziationing! it really works.,

you're a bit of hippioe but better than general generalizsation.
    Ok, you can't criticise the UK about generalising Americans, when Americans generalise about the British 10 times more often, and the generalisations they make don't even apply to 10% of the population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie-23)
    1) I used the stereotype to make a point, I am aware you didn't mention women. If Tim McVeigh wasn't religious, how is he relevent to your statement? I agree we have some fanatics, as every country does.

2) =)

3) Sadam Hussen. member of Al Quida and dictator of Iraq. We initialy went to Iraq to get him, although the initial goal was incredibly distroted along the way. I can't speak for Afganistan. I don't know what is going on there.

4)ahh I stand corrected. I got the two mixed up

5) I can't blame you, I was just defending the majority

6) Athlete's are cooky. I play soccer and soccer players specifically are a little cookier than the rest. That display was just plain shameful, yet are you really going to say that the whole country is sore loser based off of that alone?

7) I know what is going on in my country based on the news mainly.

8) I wasn't saying that it wasn't a factor, I just meant that intelligent voters realize that a VP does nothing and shouldn't be a factor idealy. Than again, I would argue most people are not intelligent voters so I will give this one to you.

9) When times are rough people look for scapegoats in minority groups. This happens all over the world, not just in America. The economy is down, so people blame minorities. Need I remind you of Hitler and WW2? That is the most prominent example I can think of.

10) I am not shocked. he isn't a US citizen so the rights granted in the constitutuion and Bill of rights don't apply to him. Plus the article I found said he "violated US secrecy laws". If they can prove he broke the law, why not! I am not well read on the issue however so I can't comment on more than what I just read. It also says he raped 2 women in sweden. If they can prove that, the guy should be arrested!

11) communism is a eutopia that, according to the theory, can only be acheived through a bloody and violent revolution. People are afraid of the bloody and violent revolution.

Many of these points are double sided and subjective. Neither side is particularly wrong in my opinion and I can see where you are coming from.
    1.) My original claim was religious fanatics and right-wing nutjobs. McVeigh was a nutjob but apparently he isn't evidence enough for you so I'll continue

Religious Fanatics:
    Nation of Islam
    Westboro Baptist Church
    Evangelicals
    Q'oran and Torah burners

Right-wing nutjobs:
    Tea Party
    Minutemen
    Fox News
    NRA

3.) Saddam Hussein was never a member of Al-Qaeda. He never funded Al-Qaeda (Pakistan, incidentally, did, and they receive hundreds of millions of dollars in military aid every year). He probably never even met anyone from Al-Qaeda.

4.) =)

5.) You have every right to do so. I was just explaining my experience.

6.) I can give you more examples, most in athletics. After all, where else can you lose? But then again, there's Vietnam. You sure as hell lost that war and yet most Americans either deny you lost or actually think you won. And Irak, which you also lost, so you invaded again.

8.) I'm glad you understand that.

9.) You do realise you just compared the country you're trying to defend to Nazi Germany right?

10.) I agree. But the charges in Sweden have already been dismissed once on grounds of insufficient evidence, and they sprung up suspiciously close to the creation and first leaks by Wikileaks, which leads me to believe the whole thing is a US attempt to discredit and imprison the poor man just for exposing the truth.

11.) Just because you agree with aspects of a theory doesn't mean you subscribe to each and every detail of that theory. Original communist theory mentions violent revolution, but this isn't actually an essential component and can be avoided with relative ease.

I agree, at the end of the day it's subjective. In my opinion my original 11 points stand, but at the end of the day only you can decide what you believe and there's no sense in wasting each others time. I endeavored to explain why there is a negative perception of the USA abroad and I believe I've accomplished this, so let's agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jolteon)
    generaliziationing! it really works.,
    Misspelling generalizing! It works much better than admitting you don't have a counterargument!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingofhearts92)
    (Original post by Allie-23)
    Disclaimer: I am aware my spelling is bad. Please don't bash me too much for it.

5) You are thinking Italian Americans, and not all of them! Just the stereotypical New York ones. Living here all my life and traveling to different parts of the world, I find America to have the friendliest people compared to other nations (Uk and Russia specificaly).

What rubbish. The UK has some of the most witty,laid back,kind people ever. Some americans are okay but many are bigoted and rude. You claim that were stereotypical,but look what you did. If you think were misreable,what are you on this page for then???
    I actually completely agree with you. Saying loud, rude Americans must be of Italian descent was totally uncalled for and incorrect. As was that comment about British people being unfriendly. I spent most of my first day in London trying to figure out where I was on a map, and several British people stopped to ask me if I needed help.

(Original post by lovely_me)
    I find it embarrassing when Americans spurt out a list of all their different ethnicities. My Grandparent's are Irish and believe me, most Irish hate it when Americans say 'I'm Irish'. No you're not you're American you fat morons.
    Hey! Look who it is! What a pleasant surprise to see that you feel you have something to add to this topic.
    Just to address this part, so was my grandparent. And she was proud of the fact that so many Americans thought highly enough of Irish people and culture to want to be associated with it, even generations removed. When an American says "I'm Irish" they do not mean it in the same way as "I'm American." And they certainly don't mean to equate themselves to someone who was born and raised in Ireland. Europeans don't get this because there your nationality, cultural identity and ethnicity are assumed to be one and the same, and separating it seems strange. Whereas in America, that's not the case, as we have several cultures of varying degrees and there is no "American" ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amandacalifornia)
    Whereas in America, that's not the case, as we have several cultures of varying degrees and there is no "American" ethnicity.
    I agree with her statement. There are alot of people here with different ethnic backgrounds. I'm Filipinio, Japanesse, and Spanish and for me to say that my ethnicity is "American" is incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I'll tell you why (some) people dislike Americans: a lot of you seem to have this arrogance about your education system, your money, your... well, everything. I once had a conversation with an American who insisted that the reason why you stay in school until you're eighteen is because it's more thorough. Yet you don't go straight from school to university, do you?

Your depictions of us in media show us either as villains or as fancy-pants halfwits who are preoccupied with traditions and the Queen. And we all, apparently, speak with Southern accents, as though all English were the same, yet we're as diverse as you are. The differences between out North and our South are as vast as you can imagine, yet we're all lumped together as one. On that note, the majority of you call us British, yet Scots are still Scots and Welsh are still Welsh...

Basically, those of use who dislike you do so because you claim to know so much, yet you actually know very little, on the whole.
    That one American's view is just his own view though. Not all of us have the same opinion as whomever you spoke with. I'm not quite sure what you mean on ".. why you stay in school until you're eighteen is because it's more thorough. Yet you don't go straight from school to university, do you?" since there is a large percentage of high school graduates that attend universities/colleges after graduation. I did so after I graduated at seventeen.

I do understand where you are coming from with your second paragraph. I apologize for that. I definitely cannot stick up for the bashing that many people here do to other countries and even to other people that live here. Also, the media may claim to act like that, but that's not entirely the view of all Americans. I started this thread because I was unaware of the situation and I wanted to learn more of other peoples views. I come from a state in the U.S. that doesn't focus much of there curriculum on foreign affairs. Even many Americans don't believe my state is apart of America, that is why I signed up for this forum..... to merely learn more.

Also, I don't want to be rude but I would like to withdraw myself from the conversation. If you would like to ask me anything without arguing with me I am more than happy to talk through messages. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    i got nothing against the americans except their accent. their accent is too moronic
    Ahh which accent have you heard? Not all of us actually have an accent here.

ReputationRep:
    Well the general steriotype of Americans is the desperatly religious, hypocrytical and narrow minded red necks. Obviously this isn't true (even the people who say this know it isn't true) but in the past 100 years or so America hasn't been big into freedom or human rights (depite calling itself the land of the free...?!), think segregation, wounded knee, the fact in WW2 you more or less put your own people (who just so happened to be of Japanese origin) into what were effectively concetration camps, Guantamano Bay, the whole anti-Communism thing, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, New Orleans post-hurricane that was more or less abadoned afterwards, the amount of hate towards muslims and homosexuals that exists in America (although we have problems here too) and the devestating oil spills in Nigeria and India that were completly ignored, yet BP (and rightfully so) is demanding so much media and money from the American government just because it's in America...

Actually saying that, I think thats what people get annoyed most about, America has had a tendancy to try and over up and sugar coat everything. Like people will say that the abolishment of slavery was down to the rich white Americans and their moral, rather than from people like Olaudah Equiano. In films that depict America in the 1920's they will have a black friend, or a female doctor etc. I don't mean to sound accusing, Britian is guilty of these things too, but we can admit it...

I have to admit I get annoyed by the America pride thing, personally I think it is the most ridiculous thing in the world to be proud of your country. All it is the place you were born- you didn't choose it, nobody can decide where they're born so nobody can be proud of it. Appreciate how lucky you were to be born there yes... but pride? Nope.

I think the things that foreign countries associate with America (th 'American Dream', beauty pagents, fast food, Sex and the City etc.) all seem increadily superifical. And I don't think people like that. Also the most famous Americans seem to be actresses or pop stars which has the same effect (although I suppose that more a supificialty of the media rather than America in particular...)

And we tend to resent the Americaisation of Britian too. Most people in Britian are even very American, or very European. Some people hate that our cafes are becoming replaced with KFC's and Starbucks, or that we can't escape from Hannah Montana and High School Musical...

Also I remember reading somewhere that despite being the wealthiest and most powerful country in the world, your heathcare system ranked 30-something in the world... Britian was only 5 though (Sweden and Norway topped it I think...). Which again gives us the impression of America being very elitist and right wing and just selfish?

Sorry for the essay. And sorry if it came across anti-American, you asked for reasons why we might beleive this, I gave you some... I like America actually, I went to New Orleans and New York and it was incredible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassandra_Z)
    Ahh which accent have you heard? Not all of us actually have an accent here.
    the one that makes them sound like a moron, like bush, palin, most american actors, and most of the population of america, their accent just makes me cringe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    Here's a summary:
    Good Points
    Openness, friendliness, entrepreneurial spirit, work ethic, meritocracy, melting pot, innovation hotspots, willingness to be direct and solve problems.

Bad points
    Religion and overly conservative values everywhere, nationalist tendencies, contemptous and condescending attitude to foreign nations, furthering of own interests at the expense of others, extensive hypocrisy and self delusion, loons in government, militaristic attitude, rudeness and violence.

Disliking Americans is meaningless, because you have so many types of people there. However most people are wary of the american government, and when they say they hate americans, it's usually a reference to the oblivious, bumbling WASP tourist.

This is exactly the format of what I wanted to see. I actually agree with each thing you listed and also, that is why I was so frustrated in the beginning when I posted the thread. There are many different ethnicities here, different communities, and different types of people that reside here. I do admit that I probably should have thought over it instead of typing all my jumbled thoughts and clicking submit immediately. Thank you for your direct reply without being rude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    the one that makes them sound like a moron, like bush, palin, most american actors, and most of the population of america, their accent just makes me cringe
    :/ I guess I can't really say anything since, of course, we have a different view as to what "accent" is normal and what is not since we are used to different types of daily speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauriC)
    Well the general steriotype of Americans is the desperatly religious, hypocrytical and narrow minded red necks. Obviously this isn't true (even the people who say this know it isn't true) but in the past 100 years or so America hasn't been big into freedom or human rights (depite calling itself the land of the free...?!), think segregation, wounded knee, the fact in WW2 you more or less put your own people (who just so happened to be of Japanese origin) into what were effectively concetration camps, Guantamano Bay, the whole anti-Communism thing, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, New Orleans post-hurricane that was more or less abadoned afterwards, the amount of hate towards muslims and homosexuals that exists in America (although we have problems here too) and the devestating oil spills in Nigeria and India that were completly ignored, yet BP (and rightfully so) is demanding so much media and money from the American government just because it's in America...

Actually saying that, I think thats what people get annoyed most about, America has had a tendancy to try and over up and sugar coat everything. Like people will say that the abolishment of slavery was down to the rich white Americans and their moral, rather than from people like Olaudah Equiano. In films that depict America in the 1920's they will have a black friend, or a female doctor etc. I don't mean to sound accusing, Britian is guilty of these things too, but we can admit it...

I have to admit I get annoyed by the America pride thing, personally I think it is the most ridiculous thing in the world to be proud of your country. All it is the place you were born- you didn't choose it, nobody can decide where they're born so nobody can be proud of it. Appreciate how lucky you were to be born there yes... but pride? Nope.

I think the things that foreign countries associate with America (th 'American Dream', beauty pagents, fast food, Sex and the City etc.) all seem increadily superifical. And I don't think people like that. Also the most famous Americans seem to be actresses or pop stars which has the same effect (although I suppose that more a supificialty of the media rather than America in particular...)

And we tend to resent the Americaisation of Britian too. Most people in Britian are even very American, or very European. Some people hate that our cafes are becoming replaced with KFC's and Starbucks, or that we can't escape from Hannah Montana and High School Musical...

Also I remember reading somewhere that despite being the wealthiest and most powerful country in the world, your heathcare system ranked 30-something in the world... Britian was only 5 though (Sweden and Norway topped it I think...). Which again gives us the impression of America being very elitist and right wing and just selfish?

Sorry for the essay. And sorry if it came across anti-American, you asked for reasons why we might beleive this, I gave you some... I like America actually, I went to New Orleans and New York and it was incredible

No worries. Even if you were I cannot deny a person their own opinions. I really appreciate the feedback though. After reading your post, I was actually watching MTV and then flipped to the BBC channel. I thought about it and it is kind of embarrasing that we have shows like "The Jersey Shore". Oh and some fit the red-neck stereotype (as much as I hate to admit it), but I am Asian and European so that definitely isnt true expecially since much of our population is very diverse. For the WW2 part, I cannot deny that but the thing is I'm both Filipino and Japanesse. It's not a good mix since they were both fighting against each other so either way I definitely cannot win with that argument. I'm glad to hear that you still like our country despite the many negative points of it. ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    I don't think most people actually hate Americans. I have to admit, alot of people find American culture utterly bizarre (I'm sure it works both ways, too), but hating Americans ... well people say they do but in reality when faced with an American it's all "OH EM GEE YOU'RE AMERICAAAAEEN!!!", so I really wouldn't worry about it
    Haha, that's what I would be like if I met someone born and raised in Britain or any other country than the U.S. I do admit that alot of the culture here is somewhat a bit odd, but I like it. ^_^ I like how there are different ethnic backgrounds and cultures here. It makes traveling to a different state very interesting even though we live in the same country.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you don't choose where you are born so isn't it foolish to be proud of it? People dislike America for a number of reasons, they say they are arrogant (ie. our country is the best, fairest and most free country in the world when it really isn't) and ignorant of other cultures and countries, thats all I can think of. And, um making things just about money and profit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    No you're not. You're a nation of intolerance, with an illegal war under your belt that you are still fighting so many of your laws are terrible and bordering on lunacy.

I don't hate America I think it's just a country of poor culture and many ignorant idiots.

See below:

This is why a lot of people hate Americans. :rolleyes:
    Okay, let me rephrase that... we are a country of tolerance apart from our government. The people here are very nice and accepting. I cannot deny that there are a few that are rude, racist, elitist, etc. but who is to say that I approve of that. There are people like that everywhere. As for my government on tolerance I can not give an opinion on that since I do not have the educated knowledge on that topic.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you actually move here you'll see that whilst a lot of British (Europe on the whole is bad for it) are quite prejudice against your nation, it is rare that people are prejudice against you. You'll probably be liked for it, in my last school an American moved here and was really popular mainly because of the differences between him and us.

In any British city there will be other Americans anyway, especially in London where I think there's something like 50k Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    Can I move in with you? I am so desperate to visit Alaska.
    You are more than welcome to do so. ^_^ I would recommend the summer time though, haha. Right now it's pretty chilly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogercbinboy)
    I think if you actually move here you'll see that whilst a lot of British (Europe on the whole is bad for it) are quite prejudice against your nation, it is rare that people are prejudice against you. You'll probably be liked for it, in my last school an American moved here and was really popular mainly because of the differences between him and us.

In any British city there will be other Americans anyway, especially in London where I think there's something like 50k Americans.
    Hmm I was actually thinking of studying abroad in London. I really do like the culture there and love how you can see the history in your surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eldedu)
    You're entitled to like your country. I'm entitled not to. Here's why (a few choice reasons, there are many more)

7.) Some of you actually listen to Glenn Beck.
    This sums it up for me.

Jazz is the best thing to come out of America, and Blues, but you could argue that's of African origin.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.