Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I have no idea! They've created so many problems already by choosing Qatar, Australia would've been far easier
    I know. So stupid.

I was hoping to visit, but the cost of travel to both of those countries is massive. And with Qatar, gaining actual entry will be a pain.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the events of the Birmingham derby last night did our bid any favour, and I think our history of hooliganism is something which will continue to hinder us.

ReputationRep:
    In qatar, world cup within 60km radius- nothing bad is going to happen there is it.

ReputationRep:
    Qatar are a great choice. Did you know they have never lost or drawn a match in any world cup!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Never won a match either

What a great choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    Russia and Qatar? :lolwut:

yeah the first thing I think of when I think of those countries is definitely football :curious:
    Surely hosting the World Cup is the perfect oppurtunity to introduce and build the interest of football in those countries. They also don't have the infrastructure in place.

Why give it to a country that already has the infrastructure and football is already a major sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I think Qatar was a better decision than Russia. I would actually consider visiting Qatar. A Russian world cup would be a nightmare.
    Not would... will. :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Don't say stuff like that :mad:
    I know I shouldn't but it's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    :ditto: In England they had big screens and crowds in every major city. In Russia the BBC have nabbed the one and only random guy who seems to care. Still better than Qatar I suppose.
    Yep, massive crowds in every major city! I'm sure there were thousands outside City Hall alone, and it's freezing cold. In Moscow, absolutely nothing. :facepalm2: I guess it is better than Quatar, but better than the other three 2018 bids? No way.

ReputationRep:
    when are th vote numbers being realise. seriosul want to see how many we got.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else see the look of disappointment on Blatter's face when he opened the envelope and realised there wasn't any money in it?

ReputationRep:
    At the earliest, I'm going to be in my forties before I see a world cup on home soil. **** that. And what's a Qatar anyway? FFS.

ReputationRep:
    2018 world cup: vodka, expensive travel and visa issues.
    2022 world cup: no alcohol, the people of the country will not welcome us, corruption.
    2026 world cup: Afghanistan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatIsAUsername?)
    Surely hosting the World Cup is the perfect oppurtunity to introduce and build the interest of football in those countries. They also don't have the infrastructure in place.

Why give it to a country that already has the infrastructure and football is already a major sport.
    But then you run the risk of half empty stadia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    I forgot taking your kids to World Cup matches on your doorstep was a divine right of parenthood....
    :eyebrow: Are you criticising me or agreeing with me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    I know right. And let's be honest, black people are not going to want to go to Russia, nor will half of the world's population. The whole thing will be a farce!
    I'd much rather go to Russia than South Africa. There's more things to do, you're about ten times less likely to be murdered, and it's a lot closer to home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    Would have been a pleasant holiday in Spain/Portugal and Holland/Belgium as well, all of them are places Id love to go to. Russia on the other hand...
    Exactly. You could get a plane ticket to the European nations for less than a hundred quid and feel confident that you're safe, everything would run on time, and you won't have to travel thousands of miles to get to England's next game, or worry about being targeted by gangsters.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it wasnt a huge conspiracy and they actually chose russia?

ReputationRep:
    Ah well England will host the first "Football United" World Championship and it's gna be awesome right :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Wait i understand Russia, but whats wrong with Qatar getting it? I, they're developed country and they will do a better job than South Africa and Germany did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Did anyone else see the look of disappointment on Blatter's face when he opened the envelope and realised there wasn't any money in it?
    :rofl:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 5, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.