Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    Unfortunately I think more children would take the opportunity to talk more if I stood in silence! I don't talk over them.
    Time how long they waste in lesson time and make them pay it back to you. Keep a tally on the board. It's important that they know there are consequences.

I've been known to sit down, put my feet on the desk and start drinking a cup of tea before. If they know it's not winding you up and will result in unpleasant consequences for them anyway, a lot of their motivation to piss about fades away.

ReputationRep:
    A tutor once told me an interesting tip as well...at the end of the lesson, call out the names of the people you want to stay in, but pick the consistently good kids and send the naughty ones out to break/lunch/whatever. There will be consternation at first, but then when all the bad ones are gone, praise the good ones, maybe give them a reward (make sure you're very clear why you're praising them). The word will spread and they'll all be trying to get kept in! Haha. I tried this with an interesting set of year 7s once and it really worked.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had four hours sleep because i was perfecting this lesson. And my uni tutor is coming in today. *panics*
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hope it went well

ReputationRep:
    Had a nightmare. I can't change my school at all. Can't face going back there. I feel like all the wonderful lessons I've had at my second school this week have been for nothing. I was judged as outstanding in an observation at my second school on Monday and was so high and motivated about teaching, and now I've just crashed. I feel like I'm going to have a breakdown again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dita_parlo)
    Had a nightmare. I can't change my school at all. Can't face going back there. I feel like all the wonderful lessons I've had at my second school this week have been for nothing. I was judged as outstanding in an observation at my second school on Monday and was so high and motivated about teaching, and now I've just crashed. I feel like I'm going to have a breakdown again.
    In what way? :hugs: Is your school a difficult one? Why can't you change?

ReputationRep:
    I just don't have any support from my mentor at my lead school, I feel like a burden on them all the time and because of this; I don't feel confident asking for help etc... Whereas at my second school I feel so supported, I have been having constructive discussions with my mentor there, asking questions, being allowed to plan on my own and develop my own way of teaching... Just can not bear the thought of going back to my lead school now after seeing the other side. Can not face 20 more weeks there.
    I can't move schools, something to do with the fact that I'm a GTP student so in a contract of employment with my lead school. It's so dis heartening knowing now that I would actually qualify if I was at another school, yet now I see no other way but to drop out of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure there is no way you could make it through? :hugs: Could it be christmas syndrome? I guess you have to hold onto the fact that this is something you want to do! If you drop out would you do a PGCE next year or try a GTP school again? Is there anyone about you mentor you can speak to?

ReputationRep:
    I just don't have any support from my mentor at my lead school, I feel like a burden on them all the time and because of this; I don't feel confident asking for help etc... Whereas at my second school I feel so supported, I have been having constructive discussions with my mentor there, asking questions, being allowed to plan on my own and develop my own way of teaching... Just can not bear the thought of going back to my lead school now after seeing the other side. Can not face 20 more weeks there.
    I can't move schools, something to do with the fact that I'm a GTP student so in a contract of employment with my lead school. It's so dis heartening knowing now that I would actually qualify if I was at another school, yet now I see no other way but to drop out of the course.
    Although i am on the PGCE course, so it's a different, i had the same problem with my first school. I got no support from my mentor and dreaded going in every day. Fortunately i start a new school on monday so hoping the mentor there is more supportive.

In terms of your predicament, is there another teacher in the dept. you could seek help from? The second in department at my first school was where i got all my advice from!!

ReputationRep:
    I hate reading this thread... it makes me scared about all of the things which could happen in my 2nd placement as my 1st has been wonderful on every level.

PGCE people, when your uni tutor came round to observe you for your end of placement assessment (if its happened yet) what actually happened? I feel I've been short changed as mine saw me teach for all of 5 minutes, talked to me for a few mins then left and that's not consistent within my uni let alone what I think happens at other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    PGCE people, when your uni tutor came round to observe you for your end of placement assessment (if its happened yet) what actually happened? I feel I've been short changed as mine saw me teach for all of 5 minutes, talked to me for a few mins then left and that's not consistent within my uni let alone what I think happens at other universities.
    He saw my entire lesson (arrived 5 mins before it started) looked through my files and gave me feedback. The same happened for everyone on my course. 5 mins isn't enough :lolwut: they would barely see a starter in that time.

ReputationRep:
    Your situation is so like mine was it's untrue. I also felt like a burden all the time and received almost exclusively criticism from my main school. (Once in an obs the only thing written in the "Positive Points" column was "took the register" :lolwut: I had 2 mentors, both in my dept and I felt watched like a hawk constantly.
    I'd also tried to change but wasn't allowed.
    Are the uni aware of your feelings at all? Is there anyone you can turn to for support?
    If you can find it within yourself to take all the positive feedback you've received recently and use it to bolster your self-esteem then I would urge you to finish your placement, but if it's making you that upset then leave.

I managed (god knows how!) to "win" and complete my training year and it was the best feeling in the world. All through I was judged by my dept as either failing (at the start) or just scraping through on a Satisfactory by the end of the year.
    Admittedly, looking back I was failing but I could have become better quicker if I'd had more positive words said to me.
    In the end the university awarded me a Good grade (which I feel I merited in relation to the QTS criteria, but my school didn't), and they told me that my school had been one of the most difficult they'd had to deal with.
    In my NQT year I was observed by SLT and given Good with Outstanding features.

(Btw I hate lesson gradings, but just to show you that you *can* do it)

I'm sure there must be people at your uni who believe in your ability. I actively looked forward to my uni observations as a time when I knew I'd get some positive feedback.
    Let us know what you decide to do, but please talk to someone.

ReputationRep:
    I hate reading this thread... it makes me scared about all of the things which could happen in my 2nd placement as my 1st has been wonderful on every level.

I'm quite shocked by that tbh, I know I do a 4 year degree but still. My uni tutor came in and observed all of my lesson and then came in and saw how I worked within the class when I wasn't teaching - was I helpful etc. How can they say how good you are at teaching in 5 mins!

ReputationRep:

Thats awful! My uni tutor yesterday came and see me teach for the entire lesson and then did a full debrief (which lasted an hour), spoke to the class teacher, spoke to the mentor and then checked my teaching file...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starchild)
    Thats awful! My uni tutor yesterday came and see me teach for the entire lesson and then did a full debrief (which lasted an hour), spoke to the class teacher, spoke to the mentor and then checked my teaching file...

(Original post by 22KT22)
    I'm quite shocked by that tbh, I know I do a 4 year degree but still. My uni tutor came in and observed all of my lesson and then came in and saw how I worked within the class when I wasn't teaching - was I helpful etc. How can they say how good you are at teaching in 5 mins!

(Original post by JupiterSunshine)
    He saw my entire lesson (arrived 5 mins before it started) looked through my files and gave me feedback. The same happened for everyone on my course. 5 mins isn't enough :lolwut: they would barely see a starter in that time.
    That's kind of what I was expecting to happen given what other people on my course have said and what I'd heard from other unis.... but I just don't know. There are two of us in my school, so we were both teaching maths for the observation and they were happening simultaneously in adjoining classrooms for an hour. He arrived at 8.50am and spent 30 mins talking to the other guy, then watched 20 -25 minutes of his lesson. Then he came into my room and sat down, so the lesson was about half way through... after 15 or 20 minutes he went to my class teacher and asked if this was the lesson he was supposed to be observing. She was like "yes... all we have is the plenary now" and he got out his files and properly observed me for the 5 minute ending, which is what all of my feedback is based upon. Then straight after he took for a chat, which I thought would last for 45 mins-an hour... but we were all of 10 minutes as I was done before the end of break, then he talked to my class teacher for 5 minutes.

I think part of the issue is that the other guy in my school has had cause for concern and basically is a joke of a "teacher" who has been known to go home before the kids do as he thought he could get away with it and doesn't do any form of planning. He arrives at 8.45am and goes home at 3.15. So naturally, the tutor was more concerned about this guy and dealt with him for longer whereas I'm the non problem one and have been consistently "good" meaning for half of my 10 mins we talked about the difficulties with the other guy as I'm in a position where I have the TAs and class teachers moaning at me about him. I just feel a bit short changed/cheated out of what I was supposed to get

Then he emailed me all of the forms he's filled in (without me being there) yesterday night.... but he's filled in the student comments bit on my behalf

ReputationRep:
    That's kind of what I was expecting to happen given what other people on my course have said and what I'd heard from other unis.... but I just don't know. There are two of us in my school, so we were both teaching maths for the observation and they were happening simultaneously in adjoining classrooms for an hour. He arrived at 8.50am and spent 30 mins talking to the other guy, then watched 20 -25 minutes of his lesson. Then he came into my room and sat down, so the lesson was about half way through... after 15 or 20 minutes he went to my class teacher and asked if this was the lesson he was supposed to be observing. She was like "yes... all we have is the plenary now" and he got out his files and properly observed me for the 5 minute ending, which is what all of my feedback is based upon. Then straight after he took for a chat, which I thought would last for 45 mins-an hour... but we were all of 10 minutes as I was done before the end of break, then he talked to my class teacher for 5 minutes.

I think part of the issue is that the other guy in my school has had cause for concern and basically is a joke of a "teacher" who has been known to go home before the kids do as he thought he could get away with it and doesn't do any form of planning. He arrives at 8.45am and goes home at 3.15. So naturally, the tutor was more concerned about this guy and dealt with him for longer whereas I'm the non problem one and have been consistently "good" meaning for half of my 10 mins we talked about the difficulties with the other guy as I'm in a position where I have the TAs and class teachers moaning at me about him. I just feel a bit short changed/cheated out of what I was supposed to get

Then he emailed me all of the forms he's filled in (without me being there) yesterday night.... but he's filled in the student comments bit on my behalf
    I spose its good that you're doing so well but either way it should be an even split and the student comments should be written by you! Perhaps speak to your personal tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    I spose its good that you're doing so well but either way it should be an even split and the student comments should be written by you! Perhaps speak to your personal tutor.
    Ha. He is even worse!!!

He is the 3rd year BEd course organiser and was drafted in at the last minute as someone fell ill. He's never done the PGCE course before and has a million and one other research projects, supervisions of phd/MEd students and his undergraduates.... and now us. This means he knows very very little about the course and has very little time to actually devote to us, so we're constantly hearing information from the other tutor groups instead of him. Our tutorials consist of us asking questions and him hosting a discussion where we bat around different things we've heard from other tutor groups to try and find the answer. Teaching/education wise, he really really knows his stuff.... but PGCE tutor wise, he has no idea.

I just feel a bit like, yeah I'm swimming along nicely but that doesn't mean you can cut corners with me... but I don't want to complain about the PQAT guy either as he is really lovely, although does have a reputation at my placement school for being disorganised as they deal with him each year!

ReputationRep:
    Really annoyed: got my B placement today, ad I'd have to leave home before 6 to get therem and I had to leave at 7 for my last placement, whereas others have been within ten minutes of their school for both placements...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Really annoyed: got my B placement today, ad I'd have to leave home before 6 to get therem and I had to leave at 7 for my last placement, whereas others have been within ten minutes of their school for both placements...
    Doesn't your uni offer some kind of faireness policy?

When we were interviewed and again when we started the course, we were told that we could have upto a 90 minute commute each way for placement. Some people do have this and are travelling 60+ miles one way, whereas I've been ridiculously lucky on this placement and am at a school 20 minutes walk down the road so I don't need to leave till 7:30am. I'm expecting that for the next placement, the tables will turn and I'm the one commuting a hell of a long way as that's only fair. Most people I know leave between 6:30 and 7 to get to school. What time will you be getting home? One guy on my course managed to argue (a lot) and change his placement as it took him nearly 3 hours to get there on public transport so was leaving at just after 5am, then wasn't getting home till 8-9pm so it didn't really work.

Could it be to do with the strand you're on? I don't know if you're primary/secondary, but my primary PGCE has 4 strands - general, early years, then 2 languages... we're all in set schools depending on our strand, meaning there are people who live even closer to my school than me but they're travelling for an hour to get to their school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Is there absolutely no way you could change? I had to leave home at 5.45 in my first year for the whole year and it wasn't pleasant

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.