ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinamon)
    :lies:
    I'm sorry, what?

ReputationRep:
    i just know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    If you look nothing like me, then you are attractive.
    Personally I think you're quite dashing :cute:

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say really

In my opinion it's each to their own, we all have likes and dislikes, or preferences and such, but obviously you do get people with just an all round good look, it might be because they suit their style.

I also think yno, anyone who makes an effort with their appearance and hygiene are generally aesthetically pleasing :P

As I said though, each to their own, I find myself finding guys attractive who my friends just can't believe I do so yeah xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarryEyed91)
    Good looking girl= one who is wearing makeup.
    Ugly girl= one who isn't wearing makeup.

Simples.
    that right there is sooo not true!!believe me

ReputationRep:
    Many may find me odd... but I put a lot of emphasis on the opposite sex's nose... perhaps it's because I am insecure about my own nose.

So a person with a good structured nose, as well as big soulful eyes and a chiseled jawline, is considered really attractive to me. And also being tall with a broad back.

ReputationRep:
    too muh importance is placed on looks these days, seems to be all people care about, thats why its hard being ugly, well it is for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej3005)
    This might seem like a stupid question, but I was wondering how people form their opinions of their own looks?

Is it just based on what you see in the mirror, cos it can be quite difficult to tell what appeals to the other sex?
    Is it based on the other sex's reaction to you, cos again that can be quite difficult to gauge, easily misinterpreted.
    Is it based on how much attention you get from the opposite sex, cos that again can be quite misleading, especially as girls don't exactly seem to crowd the best-looking guys for attention, they don't really seem to care at all about looks.

So how do people decide that they're fit/ugly?
    If you need to ask your not that good looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej3005)
    So how do people decide that they're fit/ugly
    It is quite simple, I look in the mirror.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anabolicminds)
    if u get loads of attention at a club, ure good looking
    Or you look like a slut...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarryEyed91)
    I have never seen a girl without makeup who looks attractive. Ever.
    They exist, but are extremely rare. If you ever see one, do not hesitate to ask her out. Getting a girl with natural beauty is like winning the lottery, because you'd have to be very lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when other people say you're good looking.
    If you're not good-looking then no one ever pays you a compliment based on appearance.

Par example.

When I wear my glasses I get compliments on my personality, as soon as i take em off "omg you're actually really pretty" like damn, do i really look like an ugly mug with them on?? :O

but yea

ReputationRep:
    It depends, if one gets a lot of attention from ppl of the opposite sex then yes I'm sure they would class themselves somewhat attractive. Also I suppose you can base your looks on what you see in the mirror, you've got to have some realisation in yourself if you're ugly, plain, mildly attractive, or super hot. Plus what your friend's opinions are can be helpful, plus any from guy friends also (a guy friend can tell you that you are attractive, even if they personally don't have any feelings for you). Of course though it all bottles down to how much attention you get from the opposite sex.

ReputationRep:
    people tell you, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    If people stare at your face for more than 5 seconds it means they appreciate your face I Think anyway looks are subjective >.<

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's complex. Most people perceive themselves as beautiful... in some way ;] When looking at our photos, we are subjective.

If people passing you by smile to you, stare at you, look at you for longer than two seconds... it may be a hint, that you are actually good-looking

ReputationRep:
    I base the fact that I'm good looking on
    -Previous girlfriends
    -Female attention
    -My own judgement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.laurence)
    That dude on tse ages ago (sorry if i took your pic, but you are a good looking fellow, no homo lol)

http://img61.imageshack.us/i/can28dk.jpg/
    Looks like a woman IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is subjective
    Obviously there are traits which society deems more attractive than others, but there's not one single person in the world who everyone would be attracted to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBYoungLady)
    Yes, when other people say you're good looking.
    If you're not good-looking then no one ever pays you a compliment based on appearance.

Par example.

When I wear my glasses I get compliments on my personality, as soon as i take em off "omg you're actually really pretty" like damn, do i really look like an ugly mug with them on?? :O

but yea
    Haha "you're actually really pretty"! The 'actually' makes it so harsh! It's like when you see someone from school you've not seen in a long time, and they look at you, do a double take, and say, "Wow, you've changed!" So I was a proper ugly munter before, then?! I guess it's nice in a way though, it's like the stereotypical high school movie where the geek girl takes off her glasses and lets down her hair and is suddenly hot!

You can't massively rely on comments from your own gender, particularly with girls, as we are super-nice to each other regarding appearance anyway (well, the nice ones of us are! :p:). It's just a matter of course to return a compliment, or say how fabulous the other one looks. It almost seems rude not to say, "You look lovely!" when a girl meets another girl friend. Generally, members of the opposite sex won't bother complimenting your appearance unless they genuinely do appreciate how you look.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.