Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fodé)
    Norway's voice was awful. She didn't deserve to qualify.
    I have to admit the verses were really bad... but I liked the chorus

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Azerbaijan should have qualified, I thought the singing was quite dire. Not as bad as San Marino's though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fodé)
    In all fairness though, it's not one of those songs that demands a fantastic voice. It was more about the performance and the atmosphere it created with Norway than the actual singing, although yes she was a bad singer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyRowena)
    No idea why Ireland thought it would be a good idea to put Jedward in as their entry.

They should use this instead:

It does go by vote you know, and teenage girls are fairly savage at text voting. It beat the standard girl singing ballad by 2 points in the end- Johnny Logan was disgusted! People are torn over it, there's the 'ah fair play to them they're very energetic and the song is camp enough to be perfect for eurovision' and the 'I hope someone assasinates them on stage' camp, as well as the 'don't care, won'tbe watching, I hope they don't win because we can't afford to host it' group. Personally I think it's extremely catchy and that it will at least stand out and not be forgotten. Would be cool to win but can't see a win happening ever again. The more interviews I hear with them, the more I think they're actually hilarious to listen to. Very bad I know..

Much more likely to do better than My Lovely Horse, even if Dermot Morgan was still alive! I can see that going down like it did on the programme ha. Classic episode.

ReputationRep:
    OMG Tukey's not in the final.
    Maybe this means that Western Europe wll vote for Belgium!

ReputationRep:
    have to say greece were awful and the rapping part made me cry of laughter!

gutted Norway aren't in the final, though its a shock as early on during the selection process around europe (around feb time) they were the hot hot faves to win!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fodé)
    I found that song really annoying. , don't get how it qualified.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for tomorrows semi-final I like quite a few of tomorrows and hope that Ireland get through they're singing last so they shouldn't be to hard to forget.

Heres the full order for tomorrow http://www.belgovision.com/en/index_f.php?id=7508

Ireland's odds to win were 25/1 an it's now gone down to 9/2 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fodé)

Iceland is very good. I love it. Plus the story behind it.

Finland is awesome. Love the song and the fact that it's kiddo's creation 100%.

So, for me, till now, it's Finland/Iceland.
    Me too....they were the best. I voted for both of them and when it was getting down to like 3 left I was worried that they weren't going to get in. But they did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    I can't wait for tomorrows semi-final I like quite a few of tomorrows and hope that Ireland get through they're singing last so they shouldn't be to hard to forget.

Heres the full order for tomorrow http://www.belgovision.com/en/index_f.php?id=7508

Ireland's odds to win were 25/1 an it's now gone down to 9/2 .

Up against a good few crap songs, should definitely get through at least.

ReputationRep:
    EEK! I usually make the eurovision thread, but alas i've been away from TSR for a bit

Anyways, not following eurovision as close as i should. Is the second semis tonight? I hope Dana International makes the finals. She has my vote

ReputationRep:
    I'll support Bosnia, Slovenia, Cyprus and Israel tonight ! :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a Eurovision party with some friends. I'm going as Russia and taking chocolate vodka; hugely excited!

ReputationRep:
    Estonia to win...

ReputationRep:
    Go jedward!!

(Original post by StarsAreFixed)
      Go jedward!!
      They've as good as doomed Ireland not to go through, sorry
      What possessed anyone to think that was a good idea?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stray_talk)

I wouldn't be so sure, it's more than just a ballad conquest these days! Plenty of camp cheesy songs have done well and it's certain to not get lost among crappy love songs at least. I would be very surprised if it doesn't get through really. Don't underestimate the power of teen girls! I've said this before, but they were chosen because it was an open vote and teen girls have phones! It beat a ballad that was half decent by 2 points. Johnny Logan and a few others are disgusted. Personally I think it's very catchy and hopefully could do well. I can't see it not making the final but you never know.

ReputationRep:
      Whoa calm down with that sort of talk. Jedward will do really well, they are already pretty popular in Dusseldorf and haven't even sang yet, also their song is the most searched Eurovision song on youtube.
      Despite the fact they act like they have ADHD and are on acid the song is catchy and people warm to them...:cool:

(Original post by cvas)
        Whoa calm down with that sort of talk. Jedward will do really well, they are already pretty popular in Dusseldorf and haven't even sang yet, also their song is the most searched Eurovision song on youtube.
        Despite the fact they act like they have ADHD and are on acid the song is catchy and people warm to them...:cool:
        I know of few people in the UK who warm to them :lolwut:
        There are far better acts in Eurovision than Jedward, I hope to god one of those win.

ReputationRep:
        I know of few people in the UK who warm to them :lolwut:
        There are far better acts in Eurovision than Jedward, I hope to god one of those win.
        Hey, I never said they were the musical geniuses however what acts in Eurovision really are? :rolleyes: You need a catchy song and a gimmicky singer or group.

I wouldn't say many of friends like them either however there is no denying that they sell out most venues to the teenie-bopers these days

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.