Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think if rahness is measured in terms of percentage from private/public schools, several universities are actually above Oxbridge - notably Durham and Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds. It's ridiculous. And the amount of people who just go from being completely normal to throwing away their hairbrushes after freshers is silly.

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    whereas the Leeds rahs give the impression of blissful ignorance and acceptance of the world.
    Totally agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is putting me off my offer from Notts...

ReputationRep:
    I think that it shouldn't be presumed that just because someone went to private school they're "rah" and stuck up. I went to a state school, and so before this year I didn't know many people from private school, but at uni this year most of my friends are. They're exactly the same as my friends from school, and with my original idea that everyone from private school is really posh and stuck up I couldn't believe that they'd gone to private school when I found out.
    I hope noone reads this thread and chooses not to go to a uni because they're scared everyone will be horrible just because their parents have money.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying at the University of Leeds and there's an insane aount of RAH's here. You can't walk around campus or down the high street in Headingley (the student area of Leeds) without seeing loads of people wearing Jack Wills and hear the speaking in really plummy voices!!!

ReputationRep:
    Warwick has very little "rah rah" atmosphere but a lot of students there come from the wealthy class. Of course, there are also some that come from the middle class. But by and large, Warwick is flooded with rich students these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    University of the West of England, true as well when it was Bristol Poly.
    Exeter.
    Oxford Brookes.

I can remember a time when the place to meet really posh girls was at secretarial colleges, mind.
    :sexface: i LOVE it! I love the rahs....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Roxas)
    Warwick has very little "rah rah" atmosphere but a lot of students there come from the wealthy class. Of course, there are also some that come from the middle class. But by and large, Warwick is flooded with rich students these days.

I agree. Warwick is middle class but not RAH. When I went to visit my mate there, I didn't see one person wearing Jack Wills. I'd say Leeds (where I study) has far more RAH's than Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is "Rah"?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    What on earth is "Rah"?
    How can you possibly not know what 'rah' is?! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    How can you possibly not know what 'rah' is?! :p:
    Well I thought it was just a slang word for "posh", but people on this thread seem to be differentiating between the two :confused:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Well I thought it was just a slang word for "posh", but people on this thread seem to be differentiating between the two :confused:
    I always thought 'posh' is somebody that is genuinely upper class while 'rah' is somebody trying to act upper class. At the end of the day, it's all semantics though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Why is everyone rah-bashing on here again, and saying things about Jack Wills? It's really pathetic. Grow up jealous people! :hmmm:
    Sorry, Google Translate doesn't have "rah" listed.

ReputationRep:
    Minus the obvious Oxbridge, i'd have to say Oxford Brookes and Nottingham. For the reasons mentioned above they have a huge number of private school kids and cultivate a MASSIVE rah / preppy populous.

Avoid like the plague if you're at all offended by Jack Wills!!

ReputationRep:
    When you try to be "showy" -- dress up to kill, overly showing what you possess or have to impress other people, try to talk differently or with highfalutin words in a weird accent, etc, etc... like what most people here have explained, that is what I mean by "rah". Some student do that. They want to let you know that they're from the upper-class. They're so full of "rah"... lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Sorry, Google Translate doesn't have "rah" listed.
    Oooh, witty. :rolleyes: I haven't even said anything particularly 'rah-y' there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Oooh, witty. :rolleyes: I haven't even said anything particularly 'rah-y' there.
    I know, but I like having a go at you.

You must remember all of my posts.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is wrong with being posh?

People say I'm posh just because I speak properly. It's rediculous.

It's better than the other extreme - common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    What the hell is wrong with being posh?

People say I'm posh just because I speak properly. It's rediculous.

It's better than the other extreme - common.
    Exactly this.

ReputationRep:
    so how do I go to university wearing what I like (JW, Zara, Allsaints, etc.) and not be associated with 'rahs'? or are you guys just exaggerating how bad they are?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.