Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love being scottish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    This statement doesn't really mean anything? :erm:
    He's taking about what the government are cutting funding for.
    With these cuts they are cutting funding for the arts and humanities.
    How long before they do the same for the STEM subjects, eventually leading to the full privatisation of our university system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    The result was expected. Awaiting the vote on the minimum fees at £6000 now.
    Why does it have to be such a huge difference between the min and max?
    I'd much rather everyone pay the same, at least that way there won't be any cases in which students with less money go to the poorer Unis and richer students go to the better ones.
    I know the loans and everything cover it, but you can't deny that the average working class student may naturally see the lower priced Unis as a better option for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Or you could say, that the lib dem back benchers and a few defected tories have had a taste for rebelion and this could be that start of something big. Works both ways really. We'll just have to see.
    The Tories, such as Julian Lewis and Andrew Percy, are not going to be regular rebellers.

I can imagine there is not going to be a greater Lib Dem rebellion than this (as I cannot see any more controversial issue for them).

(Original post by jb9191)
      You are forgetting most doctors pay a lot of tax for their working lives and usually pay multiple amounts of tax in comparison to the cost of their learning.

If anything, they actually put money into the economy rather than taking out.
      So? Supply and demand - if you don't want to pay to become a doctor, someone else will.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
      That'll teach you idiots to vote Lib Dem or Tory again.

Also, don't vote Labour, idiots. Just don't vote.
      Ahh, true democracy!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Cornerstone)
      Crap it's actually the very first time I wish I was a scot or welsh lol

...oh well, it's not like it's any cheaper abroad.
      Well, actually, it is...

ReputationRep:
      No pressure to meet my offers this year then...

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
        Source? Its been over the news for the past few months. Will try to find a few after I've had my food though.

And for some its easy yes. But not for others.
        Initial assumptions are not always true. Take say a Computer Games development course at Abertay uni. Most would label it as a mickey mouse subject, at a pretty poor uni. But the uni has excellent links with the industry and has a very very high percentage of graduates going straight into the industry.
        Its not always so clear.

(no offence to anyone who may be taking a games dev degree, or may be at abertay)
        Each course should be considered in its own right. E.g. not EVERY (though a high proportion) Media course would be scrapped. Just the ones which are worthless.

But most of our top unis don't compete with the Ivy League. Only a couple of ours are really up there in comparison.
        Literally "a couple". (That is Oxford and Cambridge).

Plus, all the higher fees are doing is replacing the government funding that is being cut. So the actual universities probably won't be any better off than what they are now (and some will be a lot worse off).
        Unsurprisingly... Of course they won't be better off!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by AshleyT)
        Not it won't...
        If you take a micky mouse degree and dont get a decent job(something over 21k a year).
        You wont have to pay a penny back.
        It's going to make the micky mouse degree problem worse.
        Mickey Mouse degrees get you over 21k just not worth going to uni for when you can go straight from College to get that amount. May aswell pick something better.

ReputationRep:
        :facepalm2:

Just one large street and alcohol-fuelled party for you, wasn't it?

Lol, were you really expecting the result?

Stupid students, how can you be so gullible? First Clegg's 6-year phase of tuition fees, and the belief that protesting will change their minds. :facepalm2:

And yes, they are aware people are not happy, so protesting for "awareness" is pretty pathetic.
        It was great, you should have gone. I didnt expect to get the result but, i dont think anyone did. Most of the people I saw were just showing their anger. At least we know the tories and libdems wont win the next election.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
          He's taking about what the government are cutting funding for.
          With these cuts they are cutting funding for the arts and humanities.
          How long before they do the same for the STEM subjects, eventually leading to the full privatisation of our university system?
          You're dealing with the hypothetical. Please, stick to the facts.

There are not any plans (yet) to privatise the whole system. Stop chatting ****. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
          Also means I'll be priced out of studying medicine if I don't get in this cycle.

Yay.
          Oh please you do know you'll probably have the £££ from being a doctor, it might go some way to alleviating your debt.

ReputationRep:
          Literally "a couple". (That is Oxford and Cambridge).
          Last I checked, Imperial and UCL were in the world top 10.

ReputationRep:
          Each course should be considered in its own right. E.g. not EVERY (though a high proportion) Media course would be scrapped. Just the ones which are worthless.
          What does an Oxford masturbator like yourself make of this course?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postg...esthetics.html

(Original post by ViralRiver)
            Sorry, but never have I seen a Blastoise beat a Charizard in competitive play xD .
            Blastoise may not be the greatest Water type, but Swampert would **** any fire type's **** up.

ReputationRep:
            Tory Government....

Ur opinions:

1 - Thatcher
            2 - Cameron

need I say more....

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by paddyman4)
            Yes, instead they should have commisioned a review to present its results after the next election so they don't lose popularity before it, and then if they lost the election they could gain popularity opportunistically by pretending they totally wouldn't have done the exact same thing.

You realise Labour support a graduate tax which is hardy any different to this at all? With the new loan system, you don't pay anything back unless you're earning over a certain threshold, and then it's only a small amount a month you have to pay. It's exactly like a tax apart from you stop paying it if you pay off your loan (or if you haven't paid it off after 30 years or something). A graduate tax would undoubtedly take way more money off the vast majority of graduates then the fees/loan will; the only reason this is seen as worse is that it's a bit scary being told you owe loads of money.
            :gthumb: Agreed.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Installation)
            Oh please you do know you'll probably have the £££ from being a doctor, it might go some way to alleviating your debt.
            Sure, if I could actually pay the fees to train in the first place. Trouble is, I don't have £9-36,000 in my bank account.

(Original post by Einheri)
              When I lived in Oslo I found out (from the university itself, as I plan on doing my PhD in Norway) that all degrees including Master's and Doctorates are free of charge except for a small registration fee each semester of about £44 which doesn't even go to the university but to the students union (I also believe this can be opted out of). I know for sure that it's the same in Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, the Faroes and Finland (as there is a pan-Nordic exchange programme between universities. I know a few Gemans and Italians also doing post-grad degrees for free in their home countries. I've looked at Dutch univerisities too and the fees are minimal (less than £100 a term).
              The courses there are taught in English, right?

Submit reply
            TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            What newspaper do you read/prefer?
            Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.