Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

The vote went through. Tuition fees have been raised.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.

GTFO.

I agree that the violence shouldn't have been targeted at police, that's unacceptable since they're doing their job, but we are exercising our right for free speech and we WILL exercise that if the government blatantly breaks their promises to us.

UK 'democracy' right now is where all the parties lie in order to try and garner votes, and then do whatever they were planning on doing anyway. It's not democratic, it's a voted, watered-down autocracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    They didnt lose. Protests are about much more than the here and now.

At the next election everybody who wants to get into power will be falling over themselves to try and repair things to catch votes.

What do you suggest they should have done? nothing? because that would be good wouldnt it, a country full of people who do nothing.

We already have that, and they seem to be able to make pretty good livings out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FattyInNeed)
    REALLY??? :eek:

I'm originally from Wales...!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11954333

Read and cheer

ReputationRep:
    tbh the protests for a lot of people were just an excuse to cause mayhem and chaos.

ReputationRep:
    Where? I can't find it?

ReputationRep:
    wannabe thatchers disgust me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FattyInNeed)
    Where? I can't find it?
    Argh that was the wrong page... And i can't find it now!

But there's more on this page - http://www.i-studentadvisor.com/blog...-tuition-fees/

Apparently i was wrong, its only for the next couple of years... How quickly can you get to uni?

ReputationRep:
    I think alot of tories would happily vote for clegg, cable and co if they joined the conservative party at the next election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    And yet she won three elections and remained undefeated, yes she must have been evil :rolleyes:
    If you think she won because she was an amazing prime minister you need to get your facts straight, her first governent she got in because every other candidate that should have got in buggered up and left only her. Her 2nd government was only possible because of the falklands war, she was about to get kicked out completley due to strikes and high unemployment, and as for her third government there was no real labour opposition but the economy began picking up by then, but if you look at our situation now it casts doubt on the effectiveness of her policies for Britain

ReputationRep:
    If it wasnt for margaret thatcher people wouldnt be able to get council houses and our economy wouldnt be one of the strongest in the world end of.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Sorry to break it to you, but the student vote isn't that powerful - in comparison to middle England, for example.
    Whilst this is true, the general public seem disillusioned by the Lib Dems overall.
    Polling yesterday had them at 8% approval. It hasn't been that low since 1990.
    Yes, I know polling isn't 100% accurate, this is only one poll etc etc.
    But it does show a marked loss of support. And if the Tories and Labour can campaign properly against them in local elections in May, I think they'll be losing quiiiite a few seats.
    Not looking to start an argument or an ideological debate, just giving my 2 cents.

ReputationRep:
    On my way to work, I actually walked past several people discussing how they were going to smash sh** up. I saw grown men calling for Vince Cable to be put in a bonfire. I saw a bunch of people waving crudely drawn signs. People moaning about the increase in tuition fees. I didnt see one reference to the 40% cuts to higher education budgets, perhaps the most damning part of the reforms? What should have been a meaningful series of protests were taken over by those who wanted to ignore the situation and take to the streets whilst solely moaning about the tuition fees. Considering that little attention was actually given to higher education budget cuts, the coalition are able to denounce the action that you have taken as you havent even showed understanding of what is going on. So for those of you who rose to the bait with regards to that police van the other day and the royals car, well done for your contribution to the biggest cuts.

On a lighter note, also a serious thank you. due to your actions, there was no traffic and I was able to get to my shift with relative ease!

ReputationRep:
    Its ironic a poster with the handle of "Margaret Thatcher" thinks street protests won't work.

It was protests and riots against the Poll Tax that got Thatcher booted out of office because the Tories knew she was responsible for such a unpopular policy and had to be got rid of.

So what a vote has been passed in the Commons. Laws can be amended or repealed if the public wants it that way. The Poll Tax law was repealed a year after Thatcher was booted out.

By 2015, the students at uni may be paying £9k, all those Tories and Lib Dems with univerity seats like Clegg will find they are on a sticky wicket.

Like Churchill said, "Its not the beginning of the end, but an end to the beginning".

ReputationRep:
    I don't appreciate that some idiots attack the Norwegian Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square. Seriously. :no::mad: .. Protesting is one thing, vandalism and ruining things is another. Why attack a Christmas tree?

It's a peace tree that Norway sends to the UK each year (since 1947) , as a sign of gratitude of how much Britain helped Norway during World War 2.

Sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkeyuncle)
    Hope your happy Thatcher, Now the Tories may have destroyed MY Future, Yes I may be in year 9 but this is something that may continue into when I am going to university IF I manage to go because of the money. This is why when I am old enough to vote I will NEVER vote tory for what has just happened and for many reasons you would know yourself. Tories have destroyed many bright futures for students, And will continue to do if you are ever voted again. I hope the tories happy and I hope that the tories will never be voted again..
    Go read the changes in detail and then come back and play with the big kids.

Or does sir prefer ignorant ranting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkeyuncle)
    Hope your happy Thatcher, Now the Tories may have destroyed MY Future, Yes I may be in year 9 but this is something that may continue into when I am going to university IF I manage to go because of the money. This is why when I am old enough to vote I will NEVER vote tory for what has just happened and for many reasons you would know yourself. Tories have destroyed many bright futures for students, And will continue to do if you are ever voted again. I hope the tories happy and I hope that the tories will never be voted again..
    Please, for your own sake: www.factsonfees.com

My household income is 7% that of the Prime Minister's salary. I am going to university. So please stfu and do your research.

ReputationRep:
    Pissing on and graffiting a statue of Churchill, the very man who protected your right to free speech, and rightto protest, stealing the union flag from a war memorial, swinging on the flag, and graffitiing the memorial, is disgusting. Also attacking police officers, and even worse attacking police horses. Was all for nothing.......hope your happy, but dont worry, no matter how poor you are, you can take out a student loan, go through uni fine, then afterwards you start paying it back once your earning £21,000 a year, was all the damage you caused worth it kids?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be ridiculous. Are you suggesting the protesters should never have bothered then? The real losers are people like you who don't bother standing up for what you believe in because you're too afraid of losing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    I don't appreciate that some idiots attack the Norwegian Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square. Seriously. :no::mad: .. Protesting is one thing, vandalism and ruining things is another. Why attack a Christmas tree?

It's a nice tree that Norway sends to the UK each year, as a sign of gratitude of how much Britain helped Norway during World War 2.

Sad
    +ve rep.

That was a disgusting act of violence and rioting. The whole protest was an epic fail because a few caused a riot and detracted from the main point.

Have you ever seen a peaceful protest without any violence make any headlines? For that period of time?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.