The Student Room Group

Religion is a complete load of crap.

Scroll to see replies

"You gada have faith faith faiiiith..."

Just look at it this way... I'd rather die believing in God and find out that there isn't a God, than die a non-believer and find out that there is a God..
Religion, although there is no hardcore "proof", still teaches morals and discipline, because a religious person who realy believes has reasons to be a good and honest person, whereas with an atheist (I'm not saying all atheist) or any person who doesn't realy believe there is no reason to be a good person because there is no God watching them, there will be no Hell/Heaven. I think you also overlook the fact that the Big Bang Theory is just a THEORY (and an overrated show, might I add). And as someone said above, you are just summarising the God Delusion.. And you have got to realy "get" religion before you go and blow a fuse at all of us "illogical" souls. Kthxbye.
Reply 161
Original post by al_habib
islam preaches immorality:eek: prove it

It promotes sexism, homophobia and xenophobia; it has a lack of respect for human dignity and human life, demonstrated by, among other things, the fact that it tolerates slavery and supports the use of the death penalty; and et cetera.
Reply 162
Original post by Pensivedore
I'd rather die believing in God and find out that there isn't a God, than die a non-believer and find out that there is a God.

That's a false dichotomy. According to, for example, Islam, it's not simply about believing in god(s) - you also have to believe in the correct god. As far as Islam is concerned, all non-Muslims, whether they are atheists, Hindus, Mormons, Catholics and et cetera, are condemned to Hell.

Pensivedore
Religion, although there is no hardcore "proof", still teaches morals and discipline, because a religious person who realy believes has reasons to be a good and honest person, whereas with an atheist (I'm not saying all atheist) or any person who doesn't realy believe there is no reason to be a good person because there is no God watching them, there will be no Hell/Heaven.

So, you accept that the only reason why religious people do good is because they want to be rewarded or avoid punishment? If so, these people are not actually being good - after all, they have an ulterior motive.
Original post by giga_grif
Anyone else SCARED by those who blindly follow a religion without ever really thinking freely and rationally? I am a strong atheist, and I just find people who follow a set of "rules" of a religion ignorant beyond belief. I am a logical person, and therefore I like to believe something based on EVIDENCE. Science is all about making a hypothesis and then providing evidence to either prove or disprove it, and the evidence for the theory of evolution is now so overwhelming I find it insulting when I meet someone who refuses to believe it due to their religious beliefs. People with religious beliefs have no evidence, and follow ONE book, which supposedly sets out gods will. There are books about unicorns and vampires, and the only argument religious people present to me is "You cant disprove god". You can't disprove vampires and unicorns, and indeed there is a vast amount of "evidence" in books to suggest their existence. This argument is an insult to anyone with an IQ above 40. When you have a debate with a religious person they also say that only a "higher being" could have made the universe, and say that something must have been around to cause the big bang. However this argument is flawed as ultimately someone must have created a "higher being" who then created the universe, and ultimately the creation of the universe is a question which science is alot closer to answering than religion which is in my opinion a cop out way of explaining how the universe was created.

Just interested in people's opinions on religion on here really, having read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins its an area which I would like to discuss.

i'm a atheist. religion is created for CONTROL. control over the overall population with fear and power. GOD is a fictional character to justify their corruption
Why would a christian believe in evolution? It is not mentioned in the Bible so it cannot be true. You can't arbitrarily add parts in to your beliefs based on the advances of modern society. You might as well stop believing in any of the nonsense if you are going to do that.
The Religious books (Bible, Koran etc) were simply a truckload of metaphorical stories that were put in place in attempt to explain the basic principles of discipline and morality of the faith and how to live life properly.

Too bad a Sh*tload of naive and stubborn weak F*ckers took everthing literally and ended up poisoning the 90% + of the religious followers and the exact purpose of the religion.

Religion is now corrupt beyond M*therF*cking belief.
Original post by Ghim
Wtf? Elaborate now.

When I was doing my GCSEs, I did some research, in my own time, into evolution. I read somewhere that evolution contradicts maths, it hasn't yet been demonstrated etc. I chose A-level biology just to acquire some more scientific knowledge. I think that, since you can't disprove religion or evolution, there's no point in arguing that religion is false - what if somebody said that evolution is false?. Everyone has their own opinion on the matter. I apologise for not informing you of this when I mentioned that argument against evolution.
Reply 167
The fact that people still believe in god is disgusting. They lower the standard of the rest of society and they should all come to their senses.

I'm not an atheist. I never want to be labelled under the same branch of something that is related to religion.
Original post by MostCompetitive
since you can't disprove religion or evolution

Err, what? Why can't evolution be disproved?
Reply 169
When I was doing my GCSEs, I did some research, in my own time, into evolution. I read somewhere that evolution contradicts maths, it hasn't yet been demonstrated etc. I chose A-level biology just to acquire some more scientific knowledge.

You haven't explained this alleged contradiction, so we can't really progress this debate any further.

MostCompetitive
I think that, since you can't disprove religion or evolution, there's no point in arguing that religion is false - what if somebody said that evolution is false?. Everyone has their own opinion on the matter.

Religions - or, at least, some religions - can be disproved. Islam, for example, has already been disproved because it, for example, conflicts with evolution, which is accepted almost universally by the scientific community and academia as the only explanation that can fully account for observations in the fields of biology, paleontology, anthropology, and others.
Reply 170
Original post by Ghim
That's a false dichotomy. According to, for example, Islam, it's not simply about believing in god(s) - you also have to believe in the correct god. As far as Islam is concerned, all non-Muslims, whether they are atheists, Hindus, Mormons, Catholics and et cetera, are condemned to Hell.

Some of what you have said is false, the reason as to why Islam believes Non-Muslims that are after the advent of Islam, will be in hell is because they rejected the shahadah because of the belief in Prophet Mohammed being the last prophet to carry God's message.

The 'correct' God doesn't apply to all followers as Islam believes that Christians and Jews also believe in the same God as Muslims do, hence, why they are referred to as 'people of the book' in the Qur'an.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Err, what? Why can't evolution be disproved?

I don't know for sure. Can it?
I don't know for sure. Can it?

Sure. Finding a fossil in the wrong sedimentary layer than what is predicted by its evolutionary history would provide opposing evidence, for example.

The fact that it hasn't happened is testiment to its strength as a theory.
Reply 173
Original post by Hamesh
Some of what you have said is false, the reason as to why Islam believes Non-Muslims that are after the advent of Islam, will be in hell is because they rejected the shahadah because of the belief in Prophet Mohammed being the last prophet to carry God's message.

The 'correct' God doesn't apply to all followers as Islam believes that Christians and Jews also believe in the same God as Muslims do, hence, why they are referred to as 'people of the book' in the Qur'an.

Firstly, that Christians and Jews believe in the same god as Muslims is your opinion. I'm not sure if Christians and Jews would accept that they worship the same god as Muslims. For instance, do you believe you worship the same god that followers of the Baha'i Faith, a monotheistic religion founded by the prophet Bahá'u'lláh in 19th century Persia?

Secondly, I don't see what of what I said is 'false'. Is it not true that, according to Islam, all non-Muslims, including Christians and Jews, are going to hell? Is the Pope going to go to heaven, according to Islam?
Original post by Hamesh

So what about the rest of the people? Why are only Christians and Jews considered the people of the book
Original post by Ghim
Firstly, that Christians and Jews believe in the same god as Muslims is your opinion. I'm not sure if Christians and Jews would accept that they worship the same god as Muslims. For instance, do you believe you worship the same god that followers of the Baha'i Faith, a monotheistic religion founded by the prophet Bahá'u'lláh in 19th century Persia?

Secondly, I don't see what of what I said is 'false'. Is it not true that, according to Islam, all non-Muslims, including Christians and Jews, are going to hell? Is the Pope going to go to heaven, according to Islam?

No it's not an opinion. The god that islam refers to as allah is the same god that jews and christians believe in.

Read the texts.
Reply 176
Original post by Excandersham
No it's not an opinion. The god that islam refers to as allah is the same god that jews and christians believe in.

No, it is an opinion. If I was a Christian or a Jew I certainly wouldn't believe that Muslims were worshipping the same god I'm worshipping.

Excandersham
Read the texts.

Read what texts?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by giga_grif
Anyone else SCARED by those who blindly follow a religion without ever really thinking freely and rationally? I am a strong atheist, and I just find people who follow a set of "rules" of a religion ignorant beyond belief. I am a logical person, and therefore I like to believe something based on EVIDENCE. Science is all about making a hypothesis and then providing evidence to either prove or disprove it, and the evidence for the theory of evolution is now so overwhelming I find it insulting when I meet someone who refuses to believe it due to their religious beliefs. People with religious beliefs have no evidence, and follow ONE book, which supposedly sets out gods will. There are books about unicorns and vampires, and the only argument religious people present to me is "You cant disprove god". You can't disprove vampires and unicorns, and indeed there is a vast amount of "evidence" in books to suggest their existence. This argument is an insult to anyone with an IQ above 40. When you have a debate with a religious person they also say that only a "higher being" could have made the universe, and say that something must have been around to cause the big bang. However this argument is flawed as ultimately someone must have created a "higher being" who then created the universe, and ultimately the creation of the universe is a question which science is alot closer to answering than religion which is in my opinion a cop out way of explaining how the universe was created.

Just interested in people's opinions on religion on here really, having read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins its an area which I would like to discuss.

Believing in religion doesn't always mean not believing in science. You can believe in both. I know many Muslims who believe in evolution, big bang,... and are still strong Muslims. What I don't get is how can Science disprove religion and vice versa? Both can exist together.
Reply 178
Original post by llpokermuffinll
Believing in religion doesn't always mean not believing in science. You can believe in both. I know many Muslims who believe in evolution, big bang,... and are still strong Muslims. What I don't get is how can Science disprove religion and vice versa? Both can exist together.

Well, for example, the scientific position clearly conflicts with a literal interpretation of the Adam and Eve story in the Abraham religions.
So, basically, the theory of evolution is strong, but because there isn't any evidence against it today doesn't mean that there won't be any in the future. This means that no religion can be called false for contradicting the theory. It may be accepted today by the scientific community and be able to fully account for observations in various fields, but nobody knows if any opposing evidence to the theory will be found in the future. If opposing evidence is found, then something else has to explain those observations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending