Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If London was destroyed, which city should be Britain's new capital? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    But population and economic value do not determine where the capital goes. Canberra is not the largest or richest city in Australia, Brasilia is not the largest or richest city in Brazil, Washington is not the largest or richest city in USA - the list goes on.

The one thing all capital cities have in common is that politics happens there. For that reason Cardiff would be the most sensible choice because it has a large and modern political venue, not to mention it already has capital status.
    I'm sure the cities you mentioned were indeed the biggest, most producing, most populous and largest cities at the time they were appointed as capital.

I don't think Wales would want Cardiff to become capital, in preparation for any complete devolution that might take place in the future. Not a sensible option politically.

ReputationRep:
    Swansea. :adore: Beautiful place, amazing people.

And SuicideCommando.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere Southern

ReputationRep:
    Brussels. We shaft Europe up the bum hole.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester for sure. It's the capital of the north and it's a great place to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    Well seen as though Yorkshire is the king of all countys, it would have to be York.

Or Huddersfield?
    I agree with that bit but York is awful to get around, and Huddersfield is tiny!
    I would vote for Leeds, it's got a huge business/financial district, not to mention the 2nd (I'm not sure on this fact, I read it ages ago) biggest train station outside of London. And Leeds is great for shopping too!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester

ReputationRep:
    STOKE ON TRENT!!! lol

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i would like to be Oxford or Cambridge.

But practically speaking it has to be Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester. Oh and if you're counting Scotland too, then Edinburgh would be a worthy contender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Actually the West Midlands urban area and Greater Manchester both have about 2.2 million people, I think West Midlands has slightly more though. It doesn't even matter, neither of them should be capital, they're both ****holes

but they weren't, they were new planned cities
    New planned cities who were created to become political and productional havens, but other cities were developed and simply took over in all aspects throughout the years, inevitably and uncontrollably....

Birmingham is actually very nice, not too much city junk here, there is a nice bit of country within the borders, it's also ideally placed, it would become a political centre in the heart of England. I don't hate Manchester at all, I just consider it 2nd choice.

ReputationRep:
    It has to be Manchester. Birmingham is just a ****hole.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester please

ReputationRep:
    madchesta!

ReputationRep:
    How about Glasgow?? It's a very sunny, beautiful and friendly place :teehee: I would be so amused if it was...:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    A little town in the west of Scotland called Kilbirnie
    My grandpa used to be in (and coach?) their football team :p:

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys lets go some where warmer.. Lets invade Sydney again..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    There is an act of parliament saying it's the nearest capital of a country within the United Kingdom, Wales is a principality so it's Edinburgh.
    Do you have a link? I'm intrigued

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aantttt)
    Do you have a link? I'm intrigued
    I can't find it the moment but I definitely remember reading it somewhere on OPSI or a similar site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Interesting question... apart from size, what is it about Birmingham that makes it so likely?

Manchester has more stuff in it, doesn't it? I'd want Manchester.

No.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.